1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

BM I think KJ shot .293% from the 3pt line in his 52 games in Philly and shot .399 FG%. The kid will have to learn how to shoot the ball first before anything else. I know lots of people in here are infatuated with his athleticism and potential, but he may have a ways to go if he can't hit the 3 ball on a team who's strategy is high volume shooting from behind the 3pt line.

2. Asian Sensation

I want to see him get a fair shake with us. I think he's a diamond in the rough and he can impress. He's young, athletic, has the size and physical tools to be a "player".

People are sleeping on him and he's the forgotten potential gem since he didn't get a fair crack due to inexperience, depth at sf, injuries etc and now that we have 3 new toys he's become the "lost one". I have a good feeling on this one. I really hope we can retain him.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What will happen to the MLE, if the Rockets match any offer sheet that KJ signs?

4. malakas

malakas Member

Lou should go for 10 per. Jr is still free agent. But not that many teams with capspace left. Even then they are not an option for us.

5. malakas

malakas Member

If he signs any amount over the 125% (?) of the qo the whole amount we match comes of the mle. The offers are at max a mle amount for first two years. Better see bimas thread tho because im not sure ofbthe numbers. But for sure the whole amount comes off the mle

6. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I think if we lose Brewer (which is looking probable at this time) we need KJ back.

I don't think we should have gone after LMA. It's a waste of time. We should have just gotten a better PG and called it a day.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

Have yall even watched McDaniels play this year? Not garbage minutes in Houston, not highlights from Philly, but actual games where he got to play big minutes? Because I didn't, and I assume most of yall didn't either. I doubt KJ will get big offer since he's really unknown

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

what better pg have we missed out on in your opinion that we still cant get?

9. malakas

malakas Member

Gms pay money based on potential all the time.

10. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Just thinking that Brewer will be a big loss on the team. KJ has shown ability to play good defense and if given the opportunity will grow into a heck of a player. I have no idea who the starting PG will be.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What PG's have been signed thus far (Beside Dragic who the Rockets had no shot with) .... All the PG's that were available are still available and the Rockets are still in the fray for LMA .... Waiting on LMA to decide is costing Morey nothing and he probably has plan's B & C ready to execute once that decision is made.
    This isn't like last year where he waited on Bosh and all the other potential targets had agreements with other teams.

When you look at the list of FA PG's .... its pretty likely that position is filled via trade rather than FA.

Here's the FA list from Hoopshype - http://hoopshype.com/2015/06/11/nba-free-agency-2015-the-top-point-guards-available-this-offseason/

1. Reggie Jackson
    2. Rajon Rondo
    3. Patrick Beverley
    4. Jeremy Lin
    5. Maurice Williams
    6. Aaron Brooks
    7. Sergio Rodriguez
    8. Nate Robinson
    9. CJ Watson
    10. Jameer Nelson

None of those guys really move the needle for the Rockets (Maybe Jackson but he's RFA) & most should still be in play after LMA makes his decision not to mention Morey has the right to match PatBev who is #3 on that list.

No reason to be mad @ Morey for waiting on LMA when the FA PG's will still be waiting for minimum deals when that domino falls.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks.

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is true. Uprgrading the PG position was always going to come via trade. There just aren't good FA options out there. You can be sure Morey has spoken to all teams about trade options and will get the chance to make his offer before any of them gets moved.

14. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

With Brewer back, will we even have enough playing time for KJ? I like the guy but i'd feel really bad for him if we kept him and bury him again on the bench.

15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I really want KJ back. I don't care for Dekker.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

there's no point in keeping him if dekker isnt traded. i'd say it depends on that, assuming brewer and ariza aren't involved in any trade talks.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hes a good player and you try to sign him no matter what. Even if he gets buried he's still one more you can keep around in case of injuries or a trade in midseason. I hope we keep him, just like Dekker 3 pt shooting is the only thing holding him back. If he spends the entire year working on his shot by next year we have our Ariza successor.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we already got 3rd string wings in nick and dekker. if we can get a pg and keep him then im all for it.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why is there sl much discussion about kj daniels who did basically nothing?

1 person likes this.
  20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Potential