1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

A good team is always in win now mode, but they don't make shortsighted moves that destroy future competitiveness. Look at how the Spurs became relevant despite almost 20 years of competition. On the other hand the Lakers, Dallas and Brooklyn went ham on win now and looks downright pathetic now.

Also calling Mcdaniels a 5 year project is silly, he isn't some raw big man who just learned to play b-ball because he became 7 feet tall. You really think it'll take him 5 years to become a serviceable NBA player?

I'm also not sure what Brewer/Josh Smith type of guy you think will help the team at this point, the only position of weakness is PG:

Dwight/Capela/Dmo/Williams (should be a lock at this point)/Dorsey
    DMo/Tjones/Harell
    Ariza/Brewer/KJ/Dekker
    Harden/Brewer/Thornton
    Bev/Jet?/Prigrioni?/Cummings?

There aren't any MLE pgs left on the market, an MLE PF/SG/SF won't crack the rotation or significantly make it better for the cost.

2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So Morey is even hard to sign a scrub player with all MLE this summer?

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Will McDaniels be restricted from being traded throughout the duration of the Full MLE if he signs with a team?

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

There aren't any FA PG's worth spending on, this guy is a hidden gem.

I can't think of any FA signing of DM's that hasn't been a highly productive player and elevated the team moving forward. Sure there's been some trades and draft picks that didn't pan out (T-Will, Royce, Thabeet) but they've all been quickly disposed of.

There's no reason to doubt Morey's confidence in the signing. KJ had a good rookie year while in Philly and couldn't get on the floor with the Rox talent on the wings.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

S&T KJ for Schroeder.

both have age/athleticism/upside. both are stuck behind more talented vets on teams trying to win now. both teams have a weakness which this trade would help strengthen.

schroeder is a little more proven so maybe we add the knicks second rounder.
    who says no?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This cant happen unless McDaniels signs for about $1.1 m or less.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Dude, I really think you have comprehension issues. Honestly. Seriously.

Your first point is moot, given that KJ played those minutes in Philly, not Houston. I said Kevin McHale is prone to not playing rookies -- not Brett Brown. My opinion remains that the odds of KJ coming here and breaking into the rotation four months into his young NBA career under Kevin McHale were slim to none, no matter what. Period. Again, you don't have to agree. That's why it's MY opinion and not yours.

Your second point is how I KNOW you have comprehension issues, because you've parroted right back to me EVERYTHING I've said in this thread -- that KJ has obviously shown the staff/front office if they're considering burning the MLE on him. I've literally said that like 5 times in this thread, but thanks for reiterating it. :cool:

In sum, I do not think -- on this team -- that talent shown in practice will always thrust you into the rotation right off the bat. I don't. That's my opinion, and you'll just have to deal with it.

8. KlutchQT

All of this. It's not hard to see.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the trade machine allows up to $2.7M in a 1 for 1 trade for schroeder. that amount is a fair offer for KJ, who will probably want a 1yr deal with a second year player option.

10. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

As far as Morey's lack of action, 1) he also is not limiting what we can do next year, 2) we have assets, assets I tell you, to trade later in the season, and 3) aside from hopefully having less injuries than last year, our young players are gaining experience, and it kind of looks like we have added talent this year in the form of rookies. 4) We don't know that he has passed up any deals that he should have taken.

Anyhow, no need to panic.

11. KlutchQT

The main reason I balk at KJ getting that much is because I'm not sure where I see his minutes coming. But again, I trust that the team knows better than I do, so maybe there's a plan there. Either way, I like that he was ballsy enough to bet on himself... for that reason alone, it's pretty dope that he might get a significant payday.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Maybe you haven't read the BBS much in the past 2-3 weeks, but it has been mentioned many, many times already:

A player cannot be signed-and-traded using the MLE.

Since the Rockets only have Non-Bird rights to KJ, they must use the MLE to give him anything above his $1.045 million qualifying offer amount (which is also his Non-Bird amount).

Don't get confused by the fact that Josh Smith's Non-Bird rights entitled him to up to $2.49 million. Non-Bird rights are a function of a player's prior salary. They are not a stand-alone exception amount.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

thanks for the info Bima. how about doing this trade in late december when free agents are allowed to be traded?

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Now THAT is a distinct possibility. I just seriously doubt any such arrangement would be made this summer, so far in advance.

The Nuggets did something similar a few years back with Nene. They re-signed him, figuring that they could always trade him later that season. And they did (for JaVale McGee, back before everyone figured out that he wasn't very good at basketball).

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

KJMc may get some minutes at the 1, or so I am to understand.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no arrangement needed. they can always say "good idea, lets revisit this in december."

schroeder or not, if we resign KJ he becomes our #1 trade asset. i would bet good money that he gets traded in december.

the reason being, KJ sitting on the 3rd string is a waste of talent. with needs at PG and PF, going 3 deep at SF is a luxury we can't afford. i also don't think its worth moving ariza or brewer to make room for him. maybe if we weren't trying to win now.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Signing KJ is a no brainer. He could then either be traded down the road, OR Brewer/Ariza could be moved which would allow KJ playing time.

Collect assets, then let things sort out later.

Chess > Checkers

1 person likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

FYI, people mention Schroeder, but Jeff Teague could just as easily be in play for the Hawks. If they like Schroeder almost as equally as Teague, they might opt to keep Schroeder at the less cap cost.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

1. That is a ridiculous statement. You really think that just because he logged his minutes in Philly that they are somehow meaningless and provided no real NBA experience. Even though he was playing against elite NBA players like James Harden? Really? I guess players like Rudy Gobert or Andrew Wigeons should still be considered rookies because they played their 1st or first 2 seasons on crappy teams. Your logic is like a boat with a giant hole in the hull. I just doesn't float.

2. You are the one saying that it makes no since to hold the MLE for KJ. You are the one that said he has shown nothing to warrant his status with the Rockets. Believe it or not, I haven't read all your posts in this thread and was only responding to the one where you claim he isn't worth saving the MLE for. So at the very least you disagree with the Rockets. Well thats fine with me, I will trust the staff that has watched him practice and analyzed his game. I'll also trust my own eyes from what I have seen of him. The kid has some very serious upside.

The point remains that if he has the talent, he will eventually find his way to the floor... even if it requires the Rockets making a trade to create playing time for him. At the very least, if the Rockets have analyzed him properly he makes it easier to trade someone like Brewer or Ariza later in the season if they have a chance to acquire another high impact player in a trade.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is so true. Something that a large group of posters seem to have a hard time understanding. Signing KJ gives the Rockets options in a trade later on in the season.