1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

i figured it out POINTZERO = mmotola26

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Please someone confirm

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My bad. For some reason i was picturing of Gerald Green:rolleyes:. Yes for a Gerald Wallace clone it would be great.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Guys like KJ that can defend multiple positions, including the perimeter, at a high level are always worth investing in on a reasonable deal. You just have to offset the offensive deficit with other personell decisions.

5. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I'm not mad at all for losing Josh, but if we waste our MLE on this guy instead of a veteran PG, Morey really has screwed up.

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

What point guard is available to sign with the mle? All of the ones I can think of would be trade targets

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Would it be different if the offer not to match was centered around a buyout? i.e. Lawson reaches a buyout agreement with Denver, like Brooklyn did with DWill. Lawson's buyout could include waiving all of his 2016-17 salary, so he could hit the big free agency bonanza a year early. He also agrees to take less salary from Denver for 2015-16 equal to the MLE. In other words, Denver gets out of a $25 million contract for about $7 million.

As part of the understanding, Denver signs KJ to an offer sheet Houston can only match if it keeps its MLE. As part of the wink wink deal, Houston agrees to use its MLE on Lawson, making it unable to match on KJ. Houston is thus able to get Lawson for one season for only a little over $5 million, a low risk proposition, maintaining flexibility for next summer, and only giving up KJ.

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

There are 3 teams interested in trading for Lawson so he won't get bought out.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

1. Which rookie are you talking about? I thought we were talking about KJ McDaniels. In case you missed it KJ played in 62 games, started 15 games, logged 1352 total minutes and averaged 21 minutes per game. So tell me again what rookie you are talking about, because it's not McDaniels.

2. Your assumption doesn't seem to hold water. Clearly McDaniels showed the coaching staff and Daryl Morey something or they would not be holding the MLE until he signs. On top of that the coaching staff and Daryl Morey have evaluated more than half a season with him playing significant minutes in the NBA prior to him coming to the Rockets. Both the coaching staff and Daryl Morey have had a chance to evaluate his performance in live game situations against some of the elite talent in the game. Kevin McHale has seen McDaniels in many practices by now. He is going to have the opportunity to see him in training camp and pre-season. Don't confuse your perception of KJ McDaniels with the Daryl Morey or the coaching staffs evaluation of him. Clearly they see something in him that you don't.

3. It was a point about talent finding its way to the floor and nothing more. I'm guessing the poster used Blake's name because everyone knows who Blake is. At no point did he try to compare Blake to KJ. When you repeatedly try make the claim that he is trying to compare Blake to KJ you are doing nothing more than trying to deflect attention away from the actual point he was making. Which oh by the way was a very valid point. Talent almost always does find its way to the floor regardless of what the depth chart says. And the Canaan example is so bad. He played well for a very few games but when McHale tried to go back to him after his ankle injury he was a complete disaster. He continued to be a disaster in Philly.

10. do work son

do work son Member

There aren't any point guards on the free agent market worth the MLE, and the ones that were available all signed deals exceeding the value of the MLE. Our options to fill the PG position are going to be through trade.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

By the way, KJ will not be a rookie going into this coming season. He will be a 2nd year player.

Which 2nd year player with promise didn't eventually find their way to the floor or was at least given a chance?

Last season Canaan was given opportunities as a 2nd year player and he was a disaster.

In 2013/2014 both DMo & TJ got significant minutes as 2nd year players.

In 2012/2013 Marcus Morris and Greg Smith became a rotation players in the 2nd year. Patrick Beverly was moved into the rotation and played a ton as a rookie.

In 2011/2012 Chandler Parsons started for McHale as a rookie

Your argument is not holding water.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

TJ and Dmo didn't get minutes until Morris and Patterson were traded. And even after that McHale didn't want to play dMO...Remember the reports of dmo not being happy?
    Parsons really only had Budinger to compete with. The team wasn't as good as it is now.

Really, those bad teams with non-established players ahead of them in the rotation shouldn't really be compared to what rookies do now on this team. It's apples to Oranges.

I know McHale said he like Capela's work in practice, which is likely true, but does Capela play last year if Dorsey is better and/or we don't have injury problems?

Maybe he does. I have a hard time believing that considering the timing of it all.

13. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Will laugh when we give MLE to KJ and then not play him significant minutes with Brewer, Harden, Ariza, and Thronton getting the bulk of perimeter minutes.

14. do work son

do work son Member

what would you do if he did play and was a quality contributor? or if he gets packaged in another deal down the line that makes us better?

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Shouldn't crash(5179) have posted this?

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And yet. And yet had he not been injured he might well have played in the p/o's!

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what if you pay him the MLE and he doesn't get PT? An MLE contract will last up to 5 years, why is everyone here acting like we're gonna sign KJ to 1 year and then he'll either walk away or suddenly die? :rolleyes:

KJ is young, his age makes him younger than most rookies. If the rockets were a rebuilding team, he'd get all the minutes he can handle etc. But we're not, the Rox are a contending team and finished 2nd best, 3rd best overall last year. This means that for a rook to get PT he has to beat out the guys in front of him. That doesn't mean he's useless if he sits out this year, just that the depth is good and he'll get a chance next year. And the year after etc....

Everybody is laughing like Cuban but I see a lot of posters here acting like Cuban. Try to think and plan more than 1 season long LOL.

18. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

We're in win now mode. I'd much rather spend the MLE on another Brewer / Josh Smith type guy looking for a one year deal before the cap boom next season than a 5 year long project that might work out.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

How much is a 10th lottery pick worth? Because the Heat took Justise Winslow at 10th and almost everybody called them one of the major winners in the draft. IMHO KJ kicks Winslows' ass, dude is just as athletic, around the same age, better measurements, has as good a motor/work ethic and actually has some meaniningful NBA minutes as opposed to the completely new rook.

The posters who talked about Gerald Wallace aren't off the mark, this kid displays that same drive and enthusiasm did. As far as using the full MLE, now that JSmoove is gonzo and Lull stayed in Europe the Rockets are doing the wise thing which is keeping the full MLE, if they use part of it then maybe some team takes advantage and offers exactly a dollar more than what the Rockets can offer. You keep the full MLE as a threat, even if it's likely that KJ will not command the entire MLE.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Whoa whoa I love KJ but Justise is a legit two way player with a multifaceted polished game... KJ is extremely raw offensively.