1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

If smh morrey and hinkie tried to hide him with that trade its pontless and stupi. I doubt it. The guy was having articles written about him by simmons! He shines too bright in philly even though hes flawed still.

Think like this. You are a gm. You see insane prices and max going left and right. You think that next year it will get even worse. The targets for the mle are washed up vets because the good vets now take much more money. What better way to get your full value than locking up a young player with potential than the mle.

Imo only biyombo is better taget for the mle. I also like koq for it. Next its kj. Now someone should just see which teams can make them these offers so we can start seeing who will offer him. I think the bulls cannot.

2. Garner

Garner Member

I read this and think, "some scenario exists in which we gut our PF rotation in favor of __________, at that time amare playing 18mpg will be our best available option"

I think people see this and think, "why is money adding Amare to jones, Dmo, and etc". It's just not the case.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all-

Thank you so much Dave for your continued wealth of knowledge you share. I know you get hit up for the same questions over and over. I think I speak for everyone when I say you are much appreciated.

Reg KJ-

If you asked me two weeks ago I would say that him accepting the QO is actually a pretty likely scenario assuming no team would be willing to gamble big on a player who didn't even start for the Sixers as a rookie.

That being said, this start to free agency has seen the likes of Aaron Baynes striking 20+ million dollar contracts, and Kris Middleton scoring 70+..... AND the big markets (NY and LA) have lost out on everyone and need to spend big to save face..... that last part is what worries me the most.

I would love to keep KJ at the mid-level and gamble on the talent, but my question is where is he going to get playing time, and is there potential for that asset to depreciate significantly if he needs to be traded in the future?

So I hope you are right Bima about Morey getting crafty with an offer sheet to ease the burden if they need to go above and beyond to retain him. Another thing this offseason has taught me is that acquiring talent is much much more difficult than it looks, and now in the NBA not even max salary slots in big markets can make guarantees for B-level players. The Rockets have lottery level talent with KJ. They need to get crafty to keep him.

4. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Not trying to start anything here, but I feel as if the question asked was perfectly justifiable. It is nearly impossible to talk about K.J. McDaniels offer sheet without also talking about the MLE. I mean, the entire topic of this thread is "all things relating to any offer sheets that might be thrown K.J. McDaniels's way and whether/how the Rockets should match them."

The Rockets ability to resign Josh Smith is directly related to the MLE and thus any offer sheets that are extended to K.J. If K.J. is offered a deal starting at the full MLE, would we not then have a discussion about whether the Rockets should match and how it might hamstring them from being able to bring Smith back?

I know the question asked was answered in the "Paging Bima" thread, but the question and answered are very much directly related to this thread topic.

5. pippsux

pippsux Member

He had zero impact last season and I don't see him having any impact this season. Couldn't even crack our playoff roster...even against gw where we needed another ball handler....

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

I also think KJ tops out at around $3 million per.

Another question to consider: do you sign him to a 2 year deal and make him restricted again, or give him a 4 year deal and get a cheap contract for as long as possible?

Personally, I'd go 4 years. It's higher risk in the sense that it may be more difficult to trade him if he completely bombs out, but I love the potential reward.

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I was thinking around 2.725 million which is the same amount as the non guaranteed contract of luke ridnour. See what I did there!!!

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

he had a good start in philly shooting the 3 ball at nearly 40%, but he comes to a team with an almost set rotation on a full playoff run. What did you expect him to do? His game is mostly take guys off the dribble and go to the basket.

9. Clown Baby

Clown Baby Member

Owners vs. Players, at the end of the day don't forget that.

I don't think the league appreciates KJ kind of going around the system. They respect his confidence but they don't want to reward it too much because then it's going to become a more common occurrence which the NBA likely doesn't want. So even though it's possible someone steals KJ for us, I don't think the figure is going to be anything crazy.

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

Didn't know we could restrict him again. Yes I would go 4 if a reasonable amount.

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

We'll have to wait and see what happens but it might be something the owners bring up with the new CBA in 2017. I can see more players doing it as the rookie contracts, 2nd round salaries are not set to the cap so they are not going up as much so those guys, agents want to him FA.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

I have wondered about this....whether the league would step in. Of course nobody cares about the Rockets, but there could be significant ramifications if KJ got a huge offer. The guys picked in the 1st round would certainly have something to say about it.

13. dragician

dragician Member

Can we trade him for a pick? I don't think we have a spot for him this year.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why plural? By definition, there can be only one offer sheet to match. Is there even any precedence for the leaking of unsigned offer sheets?

Or are we talking about "Random Idea," speculatory offers about which people have questions to ask you?

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

An OFFER SHEET is something that any of the 29 other teams extend to a restricted free agent, in the hopes that the player signs it. There can be many offer sheets presented to the same player. The player can only SIGN one of them. The player's prior team then has the option to match that single offer sheet.

I suppose you're technically right about the last part. The Rockets would only need to MATCH one. But come on, man! :p

16. J Hard

J Hard Member

Screw the league, he bet on himself and now he will reap the benefits of it. This is a business first, if the league want to cry about it, they're hypocrites.

Good for KJ, more players should follow this savvy model.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry, I did say this in my original post. Are we talking about actual offer sheets not yet signed. I don't recall any (or maybe 2 times if reminded) of offer sheets being leaked.

Remind me...

In the meantime,,,,I got an offer sheet fo' you.

18. malakas

malakas Member

The gms are too desperate to get young talent to pass on kj for " principles" or teach him a lesson.
    Besides a) kj isnt the only one who did this. More players have but they usually fail. Like glen robinson b) this is hinkies fault. When you take advantage of second rounders at that extend someone will not put up with this. He offers large 4 year contracts that are unguanteed . the other gms do not offer so long. The usual are 3 and not fully unguaranteed.
    So they wont step in. Its a gamble like taking the qo only this time it paid off. For many more players it doesnt. And thats because when you are a rookie you usually suck in the first year.
    Why should the owners step in for kj and not for him convington who is taken advantage of?

19. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

The silver lining about Llull's decision is we can now sign KJ, let Brewer walk and save cap space to sign Durant next summer. Ariza would be great as the defensive stopper off the bench on a very reasonable contract. Could even play some small ball lineups with Durant at the 4.

20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

love it..re-sign KJ if Brew asked for the moon...plus sign another instant off the bench scorer...Louis williams? Stuckey?