1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG with a very interesting comment on Championships vs win streak.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

I know Pat Riley was on that 33 wins in a row Laker squad.....

Now he president of da team wit da second longest streak, its no coincidents, Pat Riley is championship pedagree

2. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Because Bird, Magic and Jordan didn't have any star buddies on their team?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Winning the #1 pick 33 times in a row is much more difficult.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Him saying that is almost as strange as people proclaiming DMo the answer at power forward before he even played 5 games

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think it means more because to win an NBA championship you have to win 7 game series against increasingly better teams. Case in point would be our streak, we faced weak teams several times in that streak if you asked Tmac and Yao which was harder beating Miami 4 times in 7 games or beating Wizards, Kings, Raps and Bucks straight then obviously they'd say the latter is way easier to do.

Plus there's the legacy thing. I dunno what's going on in JVG's head but rings/championships are currency which validate your NBA career. If RA retires this season will people say he was a ringless coach or say he's the guy who coached a 22-win team? I mean, when they look at T-mac do they say 2nd round virgin or 22-win player? Etc. etc.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I dunno what rock you came under from but superstars have been buddying up since the NBA started.

Detroit bad boys had Dumars, Rodman, Thomas
    Celts had Bird, Mchale and Parish
    Lakers had Kobe, Odom, Gasol, Bynum and Shaq/Kobe and Kareem/Magic
    Hell MJ had Pippen and an NBA team that could make it to the NBA finals without him

The only difference is Miami decided to form their team together instead of leaving it up to fate/GMs.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't know see how they're comparable. One is a record, one is a championship given out every year.

You could ask "who was on that 33-game winning team?" and most people wouldn't be able to answer.

You could ask "Which team won the championship the year Wilt scored 100 points?" and most people wouldn't be able to answer.

Apples and oranges.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

They don't throw parades for winning streaks.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Quick tell me the starting line up for the team the Rockets team that won 22 games in a row. Now tell me, quickly who was in the starting line up for the Spurs second championship!

BAM I bet in anyone posting in this thread would know more people on that Rockets team.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Okay? I'm not arguing for either. I think they're too different to have a comparison.

11. WSWhippets

WSWhippets Member

if you win 33 in a row, there's no way you're not the best team in the league by a mile.

12. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Here's a mathematical perspective. Assuming every team is equally good (this same assumption is applied to both scenarios and therefore doesn't affect anything - it just makes the math easier):

Chances of winning a championship in a given year: 3.1% (p = 1/32)
    Chances of winning 33 games in a row in a given year (82 game season): 0.0000006% (p = 1-[fib(33)(82+2)/(2^82)]

So when you take out the trophy, the media coverage, the artificial glamour, you see that winning 33 games in a row is a multi-exponentially more impressive task.

13. Major

Major Member

So a 33 game streak is more memorable than a championship, but a 22 isn't? What if 22 was the record?

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

33 isn't a special number. I can't think of any winning streak that people just seem to know.

Not that most people remember the champion every year.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well no **** sherlock this is a Rockets mb of course people know more about who was on the Rockets team.

Put that question on an NBA mb and figure out that answer

16. alX

alX Member

yeah, but you get a lot of tail in all those different cities.
    i'm just kidding.
    i'm a night owl and have to go into work early, so i'm a bit saucy and surly on this morn.
    i don't even think i've ever referred to it as "tail".

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Let's put it this way, say this year the Heat's streak reaches 33+ plus and they win the championship. In 100 years, will people remember the Heat's 2013 streak or championship better?

What? Exactly. Both are irrelevant because the Chinese Basketball Association would have overtaken the NBA as the most popular and competitive basketball league in the world by then.

18. Rocket Booster

Van Gundy proves over and over with his comments that he's not very bright.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I wouldn't care if we never won more than 2 games in a row in a season but won the championship.. championships define a franchise

1 person likes this.
  20. trowa2

trowa2 Member

the difference is, a lot of teams in the regular season dont work as hard as the teams in playoff. And during regular season, teams dont have always the "must win" mindset.