1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG...THE HOMER!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Just heard JVG on the radio.

He likes the Rocks in 5. Here is why:

1) Its the best matchup for Houston. Portland will not front Yao and he expects Yao to have a big series.

2) Portland is inexperienced.

3) Houston has TWO top notch defenders to take turns on Brandon Roy.

4) The guards on the Rockets would have to play REALLY poor to allow Portland to even take it to game 7.

5) Believes Houston woke up, is ready. And at the very least, will get out of the first round. That could spur confidence. They could crank up the defense and maybe make a run.

THIS IS WHY JVG RUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES!

He actually just pulled me out of my depression and now...

I
    AM
    READY
    TO
    RUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMBLEEEEEEEE!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Man, I love JVG. He's been this organization's biggest cheerleader ever since he was let go. It takes a big man to be able to let bygones be bygones, and I know he still has a personal stake in Yao's success. They still remain in constant contact, and he wants nothing more than to see Yao flourish.

3. H-TOWN

H-TOWN Contributing Member

I love JVG. This guy is one of the most honest and straightforward people in the NBA. Sometimes I wish he would have had a talented offense coach as one of his assistants back when he coached us to help with some creativity on offense. But JVG is by far one of my very favorites.

4. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Do we really have playoff experience tho??? I'd say winning in the playoffs is what gets experience.... I'm not bashing at all, but ......

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

He also said Houston is the only team that will make the Lakers sweat.

I love this man!!! :D

6. i3artow i3aller

JVG telling it like it is. Portland is definitely the team we want to square up against. Get the brooms ready because it's time to sweep!

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

We have a supposed offensively talented coach and more offensive talent than when JVG was here and the offense doesn't look any better.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

JVG is a great guy and I love that he doesn't let that rocket red fade even on a national stage.

9. NYRangers

NYRangers Member

What a Homer, maybe he wants to reapply for the job once Adleman gets fired . .

10. choujie

choujie Member

Why wouldn't Portland front Yao?

11. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

what radio station was this on?

12. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

First thought from reading this thread, wow JVG loves this team. Which makes me think if the Rox offer him another coaching position i9n the future, and thats a BIG if, would he take it?

Also why does he love this team so much? Is it because of Yao? Battier? What happens if these 2 are gone? Will he give this Rockets team the same love?

Or does he really love this organization? I do not see him giving him the same love/attention towards the Knicks. Maybe 'cause all the players he coached back then in the 90's our gone.

Ehh I'm thinking too much...

13. Bustnani

Bustnani Member

JVG has his homer glasses on :rolleyes: McMillan has often used Aldridge to front Yao, and it was effective in taking Yao out of the game as usual. I would expect McMillan to employ even more fronting defense during this series.

14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cool, JVG and I are both on record as saying Rox in 5.

I think the reasoning behind the "Portland won't front Yao" argument is based on the fact that Joel Przybilla and Greg Oden are true centers in that they're more accustomed to playing behind down on the block. The big caveat here is that if the Blazers put LaMarcus Aldridge on Yao, rest assured that he'll be fronting as he's smaller (i.e. less thick) and quicker than Yao would be down on the block.

I could see a scenario where they put Aldridge on Yao and double big with either Przybilla or Oden off of Scola. I would definitely expect this if Hayes is in the game for Scola for defensive purposes.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Where did you hear him on the radio?

I hope he calls at least one of our playoff games.

16. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

They fronted him in the last game when they played at the TC. Right from the beginning.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Same think I was thinking. I believe Portland will front Yao and thats when things will get ugly for us. The only way I don't see Portland fronting Yao is that hes not having a good game and their already ahead. But if Yao is having a great game and its looking like a loss for Portland you better believe they will start to front him.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought something similar about Utah a couple years ago. Another similarity is that Utah was a very good 4th quarter executing team, just like Portland this year. That means in pressure situations (and the playoffs are all about pressure) Portland would have an edge over us in executing their offense.

19. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Yes, please post the station or a podcast, if available.

Hated him as a coach, love his analysis and opinions though... I would love to hear this interview.

I had a friend who attended a Rockets event several years back and he told me everyone loved Van Gundy. He was always surrounded by a bunch of people, was the center of attention, and would make everyone laugh.

20. tsunami

tsunami Member

Thank you JVG. Now Rockets let's make JVG's prediction truth.