1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: Swift officially in the dog house

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bplld, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder about our OFFENSIVE REQUIREMENTS

I mean . . .why can we not adjust to Swift's strengths
    rather than trying to push a square peg in a round whole

We should NEVER runs plays for Swift
    Let him get garbage baskets

REBOUND and DEFEND

Cut Swifts responsibilities to this.if he so much as holds the ball
    for more than 5 seconds . .. 20 LAPS TOMORROW
    and 100 PUSH UPS . .. that will learn him to GRAB IT . . PASS IT or DUNK IT!
    no dribbling. . no jump shots!!

Rocket River

2. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

ok my vote for post of the month:
    it has
    Problem definition
    analysis
    goal setting
    success measure
    enforcement

:)

Cheer for Rockets' success starting Wednesday. We will see a new team.

3. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

I'll use it on his next team's board then, hopefully one team will make him play...but the problem is, I thought the Rocks were a perfect match for Swift

4. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Remember Joe Barely Cares? Now we have Stro Barely Cares as well.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Nice theory: Make Swift a garbage player. Problem is, to be a good garbage player you must hustle and be active. Swift flunks both counts. Instead of being an effective garbage player, Stro just plays like garbage.

Some people say get him involved more; now you say don't get him involved just let him find his way. Neither works.

The problem is not fitting a square peg in a round hole. Stro has no consistent shape to fit in. That's the story of his NBA career. The "strengths" that he has are all physical but he does not exercise them on a consistent basis.

I've given up on him and my mind won't change the next time he has one decent game. Stro is totally unreliable and cannot be depended on because he is too weak between the ears. Get him out of here by the trade deadline! We need someone on the front line that compliments Tracy & Yao and comes to play every night.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Why, he can probably post up and defend better than Stromile "Not so" Swift. Plus his puffy, baggy eyes at least make him interesting to look at. Stromile looks like he was just hatched from an egg.

7. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Coming to a bandwagoner near you, "The Miracle." Tomorrow, IT begins.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Swift would be great on a team with a penetrating PG......

DD

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Great at what? Watching and staying out of the way? When it comes to performance on the basketball court, Stro is great at absolutely nothing! This is a proven fact over the last 5 1/2 years.

The Stro Lover phenomenon on Clutchfans is truly something to behold. It's completely beyond all reason.

DD, if you are being sarcastic, forgive me.

10. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

and why is that apoto?

11. Asian Sensation

If only Swift had Hayes' desire and Hayes' had Swifts' height and athleticism.

12. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Then Rockets won't be able to sign either of them. ;)

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don’t know if I’d say Swift is in the doghouse. I just think Van Gundy has a better grasp of what kind of game Swift will have within the first couple of minutes he plays.

When Swift comes in and struggles right off the bat, chances are he’s not going to have a good game. Van Gundy takes him out of the game and limits his minutes the rest of the game. This is where having a guy like Hayes pays off. If Swift comes in and hits his first couple of baskets, chances are he’s going to play well the rest of the game. Van Gundy gives him a lot of playing time, like in the Minnesota game.

Unlike most, I don’t think Swift’s problem is a matter of heart/desire or because he doesn’t play hard. It’s confidence. When he makes his first couple of baskets and his confidence is high, he’ll play great. He’s much more decisive on the offensive end. He doesn’t fumble passes or get the ball stripped or blocked as much.

When he makes a mistake or 2, that’s when he’ll start second guessing himself and the mistakes will build up as he tries to make up for the previous mistake. In many ways, he's very similar to Yao, only on a much greater scale.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent post. I agree 100%

15. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I dont understand why we don't run some alley-oop plays for Stro once he gets in

I mean its a given the guy can jump and loves to dunk AND we have a former And1 PG in Rafer.

I agree with the above post. Get Stro going with some dunks a la Rafer, and he usually stays around and competes the rest of the game

16. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

stro is a dead man walking, hopefully sooner rather than later

17. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

JVG sucks. I hate the way he handles the players. Stro never really had a chance here. Not enough minutes at the beginning of the season. When he did get more playing time he put together some solid games.

18. jaychi

jaychi Member

when he was given solid minutes,he contributed.JVG gets discouraged whenever he's entered into the game but when he plays further he minimize mistakes and in turn played well.JVG handles players as a moody person.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Here's why SWIFT didn't play:

Swift benched after missing Rockets' shootaround

Houston forward Stromile Swift was benched for the Rockets' game against the Milwaukee Bucks tonight after he arrived late for the team's morning shootaround.

"It's unfortunate that it happened," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "He's a good player and a good guy, so tomorrow's a new day."

Swift, who averages 9.4 points and 4.9 rebounds, has appeared in 35 games and started five this season. He returned Jan. 27 after missing nine games with severe conjunctivitis and a corneal abrasion on his left eye.

http://chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3629672

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"wur talkin bout practice man"
    [​IMG]