1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG should be fired!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ced, Nov 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. edc

edc Contributing Member

Perfect? No. They are not playing as well as they should be *compared with other teams that have the same number/more new players*. The regular season is about making adjustments. The preseason is about getting guys into your system, and playing on the same page. Through the first dozen games, the Rockets look confused far too often, and the TO's are symptomatic of the problem.

As to "earning the entire season," am I calling for JVG to be fired right now? Nope. That does not place him above criticism, and if pointing that out is "feeding the mob," or convincing someone else that he *should be fired*, so be it.

:confused:

Who said anything about "Van Gundy's looks?"

As to the rest, this makes no sense. We tend to play by "majority rules" in this country. Personal taste is one thing, but when the majority tell you something is "unentertaining," then "that is so." That is why television series get cancelled. There is a reason the NBA wants to increase scoring. The majority find it more fun to watch. Because *you* happen to Van Gundy-ball, and obtain some pleasure from it, does not change that fact.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How can you say he's earned a full season, and then 12 games into it, pop your JVG-hate comments into almost every single thread you participate in? Judge him when the Rockets are on vacation, not 12 games into a new season.

TO's?? The Rockets are in the middle of the league (16th) in TO's per game. Not good, not bad -- very good when you compare what our past teams did.

Right now the Rockets are not a very good team, meaning elite team. JVG will be the first one to tell you that. But I see the potential they have to be one of those teams, and I'm not discrediting the coach after 12 games into a season. Talk to me when the final results are in.

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

again. unaccountabilty. blaming it on the majority. the majority of the country? good one. come out from behind the majority of the country and accept that it is you and only you who is responsible for not enjoying these last two victories .

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Its hard to argue with such honesty there. Unlike edc, you come clean and give us the more personal side of your dislike of JVG, you come out and say straight up you don't want to hate him, but you think he is a terrible person, he seems to hard to please. These are sincere observations from you that I respect, naturally.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

I think freedom is a word that is not in JVG's vocabulary. I had a feeling Steve would prosper in Orlando, but I never thought he would go nuts like he is now. JVG's coaching strategy of micromanaging is good for players who have no talent or exist in the NBA purely on guts and grit. Talented players were born with gifts that most folks don't have. I now understand why Steve said he is going to play the way he wants to play, and JVG can coach the way he wants to coach. Phil Jackson is in my view a coach who allows his players to play but within a certain scheme. He doesn't yell out plays every single time down the court. Man...I was watching the Blazers game, and I could hear JVG all the time whether the Rockets were on offense or defense.

JVG discourages out of the box plays. I can't watch the Magic because I don't have League Pass, but I'm guessing Steve is doing some crazy stuff and having fun. JVG has forgotten that basketball is a game kids play. Just because players are making a lot of money playing doesn't mean it is not a game. Games are supposed to be fun. It's not supposed to be like doing taxes.

6. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

I watch all the games on NBA League Pass.

The Rox games are very boring to watch. Absolutely no life in our offense. It seems very mechnical and predictable.

The elite teams run up and down the court and are more fluid than ours.

Bottom line......Van Grumpy has to go. :mad:

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

8. edc

edc Contributing Member

I have no idea what you are talking about. I find uglyball boring. The NBA wants scoring to increase because low-scoring, overcoached basketball is a turn-off. It is as simple as that.

As to the last two games, I'm glad the Rox won to get back to a tremendous .500 record. Can't comment on yesterday, as I went for the Texans (who managed to be entertaining, despite losing) option. I watched most of the @LAC game (and followed the third quarter on the radio), and the victory was not enough to overcome 82 points in regulation. The same old "drip, drip, drip." Hey, some people like water torture.

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't "hate" Jeff Van Gundy. I don't know the guy. I find him an average NBA head coach, and wish he weren't the coach of the Rockets. He is good enough that I hope he stays in the league, and improves some cellar-dweller to the boring yet "somewhat better than mediocre" style that he has proven himself so adept at.