1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG should be fired!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ced, Nov 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

Stan Van Gundy would make a better coach for this team. Shaq is doing fine under Stan. :D

2. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

its not JVG, and its not our PG's. The real reason for our team pathetic display is a curse that is with our team. Yes, JUwan Howard. Get rid of him b4 we endup in lottery. look at denver after he left. look at orlando after he left, hill came back and they are awesome. please get rid of him he's cursed!!!!!

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Fire Les! The guy is all about the dollars, and I'm sick of it.

4. rocket3forlife2

something need to be done,I felt pretty good about our team last year this time doing the season,I don't remember what our recored was after the first nine,but ism sure it was better then this crap,we really look bad out there this year.Iam starting to watch more orlando games this year then rockets games.our style of play sucks and before you know it our recored gonna be 25 and 27 or somthing like that watch.I give him about 10 more games then after that something got to be done.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Wrong owner...
    ;)

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Salary Cap???

:confused:

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

tinman is that you?

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That should actually be one word.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Shaq's not afraid to demand the ball.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok,

So, if your center is not a "demand the ball" type of player, than why not play to his strengths, say....face the basket???

DD

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Good to know someone else thinks JVG is the man for the job and that all the people here complaining should shut it!

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

You are admitting the way the Rockets are playing now is not entertaining? :eek:

As to the rest, that is the whole point. Charlie Ward is the prime specimen of a "Jeff Van Gundy-type player." With him as head coach, the Rockets will NEVER GET "entertaining supporting players," because those types of guys would have no reason to come here and play in this system.

13. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Contributing Member

You are absolutely right. We will NEVER get entertaining players like Tmac. Ever.

14. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

9 games in. 4-5 with our best player missing 2 games and playing hurt for 2 more. We lose to the Hawks. Lets look at this for a second. I could be mistaken but didn't Yao miss some of training camp? What do you think Van Gundy does first in training camp? I'm willing to bet its work on Defense - team defense. Somebody said they're tired of hearing that "Defense wins championships". --- WELL IT DOES. Were you complaining about 10 years ago when we were hoisting up the first major championship banners in Houston's history??? As I recall the Rockets/Knicks series was called one of the ugliest of all time. I was fine with it. Tell the Pistons that you can't win a championship with a horrible offense. I know they'll agree.

There are about 3 different problems with this offense all of which are repairable.

1. Efficiency: obviously this is a problem because in 5 of the last 9 games we have scored fewer points than the opposite team. This boils down to turnovers. I've noticed that we don't spread the floor out enough. I know this sounds stupid but if we're trying to work it into the post why are all of the people on the strong side of the court inside the 3 point line? that doesn't make it any easier to get the ball to Yao, and leaves the help closer making it easier to run in and strip the ball. We've shown an inability to pass the ball effectively at times - why not make the passing lanes bigger by spreading the floor a little.

2. Lack of a high post presence. I never understand why we don't have somebody in the high post. It has been mentioned before that it will be easier to get Yao the ball from the High post esp. since he likes to turn baseline. It also allows us to put yao on the weak side to post up eliminating the help from a perimiter player. This means when Yao turns to either face the basket he can everyone on the floor, that would dramatically cut down on his TOs in my opinion and if they want to bring help it must come from the strong side (say the pf, leaving us open for a virtual layup - 7 foot jump shot). When you get this running in the offense McGrady's ability to create becomes even more deadly especially if he is the person at the top of the key with Yao down low.

3. out of time sorry to be finished later

Mike

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The ultimate conundrum "If JVG is a hater do we keep him or fire him".

From the Chronicle:
    Because he does not overreact, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy has coolly and dispassionately assessed the season so far and reached a few simple conclusions.

His team stinks.

His team's coach stinks.

This season stinks.

Are you in?

"You can treat last night's loss as business as usual. It happens in the NBA," Van Gundy said. "Or you can treat it like Armageddon. My world is crumbling because I was part of a disastrous meltdown.

"I'm so sick of losing I can't stand it. I mean, it's just painful."

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's funny....How come Franchise and Mobley were't extended the same courtesy?

17. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Contributing Member

They were extended a freakin' 5 year courtesy.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

... You are kidding, right? RIGHT???

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually, Jerry Colangelo led a team to put a stop to ISO plays during the offseason before Rudy's last season...SOOO he did not do as much ISO. Plus it was Yao's first year and Rudy nearly got them into the playoffs.

Question...When you got two outstanding off the dribble players with explosive first steps and extremely talented at finishing off plays, why wouldn't you go to isolation offense?

Rudy is a great coach cause he can adapt to the team he is given. JVG is all about defense and needs specific personnel it at all times to make things go smoother. We will win this season when JVG unshackles Tmac.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SOMEONE says we should extend courtesey to JVG because he got us to the playoffs...

AS IF IT WAS ALL HIM...As I remember it was Francis on the court last year when we got there. It was only Yao's 2nd season...READ THAT AGAIN...IT WAS YAO'S SECOND SEASON. HOW COME WE DIDN'T GIVE THEM MORE TIME TO GEL? SF and Cat were given 5 years and compiled an admirable record together...and BECAUSE THEY LOST WE WERE ABLE TO LAND YAO! Only the last 2 were with Yao...and we made the playoffs...SO AGAIN HOW COME THEY WEREN'T EXTENDED THE SAME COURTESEY?