1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: I'm tired of reading that he's tired

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragon167, Apr 15, 2004.

1. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Also Before you blame yao's tire mentation, you must understand chinese culture, ohterwise you may have misunderstanding problem, including JVG. In Chinese Culture, These kind of words do not necessarily mean Yao try to find excuse at all.

2. miamiflorida

miamiflorida Member

If YM whining that he is tired, JVG made him so.

He should have let YM play 40 some minutes long time ago, so Yao would have by now got used to playing 40 minutes or so.

He didn't train Yao Ming to play 40 minutes, then he complained that he heard too much about Yao Ming's fatigue?

:confused:

3. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I completely agree with you on this matter. Personally, I believe Yao is the hardest working player on the team. Think about it. He's played all 82 games this season at the starting position (don't forget, he also led the Chinese NT in the Asian Qualifying games during the previous summer). Wrestled against sometimes double, triple teams. Dueled with heavy weights like Shaq, Nene, the Seattle triple threat, and countless of other center thugs in the NBA. Gets hacked on a consistent basis, with only 60% of the time being called a foul.

On top of all of that, he sets screens, fights for rebounds, runs up and down the court, and constantly fights for position. DA DUDE IS GOING TO BE TIRED!! He's 7'6, 318 lbs!!! He ain't no AI!! He ain't know Francis! He's plays both ends of the court! GIVE the dude a break!!!

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

were you here in 90~92
    When EVERYONE it seemed was calling out Hakeem

Like I said. . I bet some of the COMPLAINERS HERE
    were among the ones that thought he was 'JAKING IT'

Rocket River

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad that Van Gundy said the great players never say that they are tired. Yao has always said he wants to be a great player. He has had to play in China and isn't amongst the fittest,fastest,or strongest players in the league but his mental weaknesses are bigger than his physical shortcomings.
    He wants to do well but he is very tense and doesn't want to let the team down. He needs to regain focus and not overanalyze everything he is doing on the court. He has had some success this year and needs to fight hard and utilize his skills.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Get the man some Buzz Cola.

7. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

JVG is old school. Tough love, no hand-holding. No PC BS. It'll work out for the better in the long run.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think one of the reasons that Yao gets so worn down is that he has not learned the low post to the best of his abilities.

The good post players have good moves and footwork before they ever get the ball down low. The more efficiently and quickly they can get position on the defender, the quicker they get the ball, the less they have to worry about fighting for position.

Fighting for the low post play after play is grueling...he'll learn the tricks of the trade to be able to post up quicker and in better position so he's not wrestling to get position every play. The great post players are often in position and have the ball before the defender even gets set.

Another thing is that I don't think they have good set plays in their arsenal to get the ball down low. When Hakeem was here, they'd set back picks for him and he'd come from across the floor under the basket just in time to receive the ball in the post...he'd also use his incredible footwork to find the crease in the defense and be in position before the defense knew what was going on. That was half of Hakeem's game...he knew how to get into position without really working for it half the time.

Yao just needs more time to learn HOW to get into position on NBA defenses. You don't have to bang your way to the low post on EVERY play like he tries to do....Most of the time, the good post players make posting up easy.

Once Yao learns those moves and how to better move without the ball, he won't expend so much energy in a wrestling match to get position. A little extra upper body strength to make those wrestling matches easier would also help his stamina.

9. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

yes, that MAY be true but those players have the option of taking time off if they want to go on vacation whereas yao HAS to stay with his team in china to play. you cannot expect us to believe that all/most of the nba players do not take time off at all in the offseason. and even in the games they play, they're just pick up games with fellow players...they're not regualted games like what yao has to play (i.e. they're probably not playing as hard as he has to). also, after someone else posted that jvg was saying yao didn't complain enough to the refs and was always respectful to them...you haven't said anything else about yao's "whinning" (i.e. complaining about calls and such). i am by far a YOF...but i feel that those things needed to be pointed out. i would say probably only 10% of nba players has the schedule that yao has...the rest just have their own off-season training program that they ultimately control and can say when and how long they train as compared to yao who has to listen to whoever's in charge back in China. you say that yao is a big whinner...but i and i think most people on this board would agree with me in saying that he's probably the one that complains the least out of the whole team.

10. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Yao is NOT Whining

Yao is just being truthful. Of course, when the media gets some dirt on a nice guy like Yao, they are going to exploit it by asking him about his conditioning all the time.

A whiner is a person who b****es about stuff just to get attention. That is not Yao's way.

JVG is Doing the Right Thing

Although Yao is just being honest, he must learn that admiting fatique will just make him that much more of a target. JVG cares about his players, I don't think any of us can deny that. He will do whatever is necessary to help Yao through this, and that includes first, shutting Yao up for his own good, and second, using public statements to shame Yao into expanding his limits.

Trust me, shame works with Chinese people. ;)

Shaq never complains about being tired

Well duh. When he's tired he just make up some **** about his toe and sit out half the season. I rather have a guy who b****es about being tired than a guy who b****es about his teammates. :rolleyes:

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

ole man grumpy never eschews an opportunity to whine to the media. dour, morose and immune to leaps of imagination or intuition, he emerged from the media maelstrom of NY clinging to one truth.

offering up someone else for the press to cannibalize camouflages his failures.

kinda silly and hypocritical for him to whine to the media about anyone else whining to the media.

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

You know what. I WOULD deny that. Whatever hold he had over his guys in New York has not worked here. The players are doing what is necessary and playing JVG ball for their head coach, but I don't see a whole lot of "caring" going either way.

13. Bison Dele

Bison Dele Member

What are you saying Summer Song Giver about Yao looking to the referees?

Did JVG not complain that Yao does not get calls because he actually respects the referees and does not give them a hard time?

How do you possibly reconcile that JVG's opinion with what you've written? How can you possibly say that when Yao plays in the same team as SF3 and Cuttino Mobley, two players who put more pressure on the referee than most?

14. Summer Song Giver

Yao's a whiner, that's all I got to say and that's not saying Steve and Cat don't whine also

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

If Yao is a whiner, nobody in the league isn't. The guy complains to refs too little.

16. Grydian

Grydian Member

Have you never read anything Yao says? If anything he takes responsibility for his failures unlike some on this team. How can Yao be a whiner if he is the only one not b****ing at refs?

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Don't waste your time with Summer. He's convinced that Yao is a cancer to this team so he dogs him any chance he gets. He might have been a fan of the Rox once, but he's let things blind him since