1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: I'm tired of reading that he's tired

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragon167, Apr 15, 2004.

1. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I saw an artical in while yao complained to his NT last summer, and a bunch of reports after the Atlanta triple OT game. Where else did Yao whine about being tired?

BTW, for palyoff, besides asking Yao to suck it up, it might be more helpful to tell him how to use his energy more efficiently. I don't think he should run on fastbreaks or sprint back to D if Shaq is walking up the court.

2. mbiker

mbiker Member

Next time you’re at the Rockets game look up in the rafters. There is a jersey with the name Moses Malone. Moses averaged 33.9 minutes a game throughout his career. Yao averaged 32 minutes per game this year. In other words big guys get tired fast. Malone sweated buckets before he even went on the court.

Give Yao a couple years of good conditioning and he will be OK.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

As much as I like Yao Ming, I have to agree with JVG. I have been posting this for a while, Yao Ming should be fined every time he whines that he is tired. He just keeps saying that over and over and nobody wants to hear it anymore.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I think that link pointed to about 4,550 articles. I'm not going back to read them all to make a point. Anyway, I've made my point and now we're just repeating ourselves. Yao said it plenty last year and it never bothered me. And I've never called it whining either. Last year I took it as a rookie in a new and very unique, very challenging situation. This year it's starting to feel more like a trend. But my comments aren't a reflection on Yao's character or heart -- I would never question either. I think he's beyond reproach in both categories. My comments are born of a desire to see him do whatever he needs to do to not be quite so exhausted all the time. I remember him saying it a lot, you don't remember him saying it til March. I don't care who's right. I just want him to do what he can to take care of himself.

5. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Geez, it's really not the case that Yao is whining or making excuses. Is it an excuse to say "the reason I'm wet is because it's raining?"

He made a couple of introspective comments about how he needs to improve his stamina, how there's a lot of basketball to be played, how he doesn't want to hurt his team in the playoffs, and how he can't do what he wants to do on the court because his body just won't let him and all the sudden he's a whiner?

Reporters ask him every 5 minutes about his conditioning and why he's sucking. The guy finally breaks down and gives it straight and JVG has to break his balls for it.

IMO, JVG is in major denial if he thinks Yao can just will himself to be dominant for 40 minutes a game. He's also in denial if he thinks Yao just stinks and fatigue has nothing to do with it.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Quotes from Sports 610 morning show:

"Do you know any coach from this league who hates his own team as much as JVG? Of course you don't hear Shaq saying he's tired, because he didn't play 82 games this season, and he did nothing but rapping during the summer."

7. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Then why does he continue whinning about it?

8. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

In the end it doesn't really matter what JVG or Yao or the press says: it's what is seen on the court with your own eyes. I Love Yao too; read every bit of info about him when we won 1st place in the draft and the year round basketbal WAS a concern! The troubling thing is, say, after this year, Yao has a rest of a year or two from the Chinese int'l team: That's 2005-2006 season before we can look forward to having a refreshed Yao? He looked tired 5 games into the season this year. How's his endurance going to be after going through the playoffs, however far we get, then a summmer of the emotional & physical drain of the Olympics and then, hey, it's basketball season again: I'm holding final judgement until that 2005-2006 season. If it's a flop we may have to deal with the reality that we have, once again, Ralph Sampson: all the talent in the world, but physically unable....

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

...and that applies to Jeff Van Grumpy how? Last I checked, he was a mediocre head coach, who had never won anything...

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

I saw 6-11 down the stretch with some of the worst basketball of the season...

11. daRox

daRox Member

Everybody knows Yao's tired. He admits that he's tired. But the question was, does he use that as an excuse for his poor performance? NO.

Yao, the whiniest player? Hm....unless you know Yao better than JVG who said that Yao is the easiest to officiate

12. stroker

stroker Member

Agree. Yao's situation is unique playing all year around and he could very understandably be tired. I have a lotta resentment about the demands that the Chinese government put on Yao to allow him to play here in the states and it's too bad that Yao probably loves his country too much to defect and just blow em' off completely. It sounds easy to a frustrated Rocket fan, but to leave a country so rich in culture and history would be quite a bit to ask of Yao.

13. sup123

sup123 Member

yao saying he is tired is annoying; quit playing in the summer.

14. daRox

daRox Member

how about you quit breathing this summer?

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If it were that simple, believe me, he would.

I could only wish that the Chinese government would allow him to step down from the National Team but I don't think it's gonna happen, not soon, anyway.

Anyone needs a break. Any of us would be exhausted, too, even if in peak physical condition.

So we can say "Yao needs to shut up, suck it up and play" but, alas, it ain't that easy.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What does that have to do with anything?! :confused:

Anyways, Yao's situation is just not very kind to him. He does play a lot of basketball. SO do most NBA players during the offseason, but playing for another team in "real" games does take more energy.

I am upset too about hearing how tired he is. Like sitting in chat, it's all you read or type. Yao is tired, Yao looks tired. etc.

Oh well, It would be awesome for the Chinese Gov. to release him from the obligation of having to fly back to China to play every summer.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess JVG just wants Yao to learn NBASPEAK

Cliches and bullsh*t
    never speak what he feels or thinks
    just say those things athletes are SUPPOSE to say

YAO . . .. forget free will or you will be called whiney
    and complaining. . . screw it if you are honest and are
    actually tired

just say some crap about giving a 110%
    or something

Rocket RIver

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it would be AWESOME is OPEC just gave us OIL
    instead of us having to PAY for it

People act like YAO has a choice
    ALSO
    People seem to be ASKING YAO to Defect [or something
    close to it . .. ]

I mean . . How would we feel if an America did what
    we asking Yao to do . . . HELL . .. somepeople were
    PISSED when some NBA players talked about NOT going to the
    Olympics .. . now we want YAO to tell HIS COUNTRY
    to F*CK OFF . . THE ROCKETS GOT GAMES TO WIN
    INCREDIBLE!:confused:

Rocket River

19. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

Rockert River

Right on in both...

IS it more likely not to sell (Oil) to us, or not to play for us.....

Thanks to Yao for us to have something to talk about :)

20. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I can't believe this crap. Two days before our first playoff in four years and we are busy bashing one of our own player?? WTF. :mad: