1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: He's to blame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W-Mac, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm not saying JVG is blameless but this post just proves you're an idiot. LUTHER AT THE ONE???!!! the sad part is, you're serious. Luther can't dribble 10 feet before losing the ball. if you're gonna criticize JVG, at least show us you know what you're talking about.

btw, JVG deserved considerable blame for this loss. he definitely should have pulled Rafer after those 2 quick threes, at the least.

#141 macalu, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been in favor of Luther at the one as the primarty backup pg too.

But....after watching him last night......EEK !!

He is just better at the undersized 2 guard Vinnie Johnson role, he is not a capable dribbler or passer.

DD

3. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

You're a ****ing BIG idiot. Read before you post.

4. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

For some reason JVG almost never plays Bonzi and T-mac together. :confused: Bonzi is your best post guy and T-mac is your best peremeter guy so this makes no sense to me. These two players have the biggest chance of creating and making game winning plays and yet one is always on the bench watching when the other is in the game.

5. two-sandwiches

If JVG is to blame for the losses, who is to receive the credit for our wins? Not JVG, not on this board.

Any other coach would have been mailing it in without their superstars playing at their full capacity. JVG is the reason we are in these games and any of you that can't admit are obviously just JVG haters and not objective about this team.

JVG has done a great job and the rest of the league has been telling you this even in the midst of these losses.

DEATH TO SPORTSCENTER BASKETBALL!

JVG is a team coach get over it.....if his ego is to blame for defiecencies, its also to blame for the good results....so far his record proves the JVG haters are losing this argument thus all of the jaded posts and threads.

6. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

but his stubbornness has cost us a lot of games. i am not saying everything he does is wrong cause it's not. a lot of teams coming back from half time change their defense on yao but we do nothing to counter it and i know we lost a couple of games cause of that.

one of my main complaint is his lack of interest in developing young players. the reason luther is getting playing time is because last year during the injuries jvg had no choice but to play him. thus he was able to see how a rookie can contribute.

7. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Alston is in a verge to close the game! It's to bad but JVG should'nt get blame!

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

People this team does not have the talent to win big games, they are too top heavy, and when you have a max player who produces at half his capabilities and suffers from health issues the rest of the team is going to be what it is. Mcgrady is going to keep us from winning a championship, we are going to have a weak supporting cast and Yao Ming is not going to be able to carry this team by himself. Mcgrady is not going to come out and say my back is f*****. This team is not going anywhere. We need to trade his a$$ before the rest of the teams in the league realize he’s done, at least get some value. It’s not JVG’s fault that his only superstar is injured and another one playing on half a back - it's not his fault that this team has minimal talent...

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

Sorry, it is his fault. The entire roster was hand-picked to be "Mr. Van Gundy kind of guys." Under a different head coach, at least 60% of the players would be different.

10. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

let me say this....Luther can't be any worse then Rafer, can he? Rafer makes stupid decisions, cant shoot/doesnt know when to stop shooting, and turns the ball over. Luther can shoot, do just enough to run the offense and play some D.

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Look man when you have two guys making max money it's not exactly like you have much room to select talented players…slim pickings.

The problem becomes that the two superstars need to play like superstars AND remain healthy for majority of the season. Problem with our team is that the star's keep getting injured, and the even bigger problem is that one of them is not going to recover...this team has a lot more problems that JVG!!

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

Indeed. However, Mr. Van Gundy *is* the head coach, and "the buck stops there." Given his contract situation (i.e.: he doesn't have one for next year), that runs doubly so.

13. two-sandwiches

JVG could win a F???ING championship and you haters would still want him gone.....not perfect, makes mistakes, but I don't think any other coach in the league could do a better job with so little......and for those who believe he is responsible for the players he has brought in, you did NOT ever hold this factor against RUDY T.

He signed crummy players to bad contracts and you all blamed CD, and now JVG is to blame?

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

please go read the VSpan thread and shut up.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

First off like I have said in many other post I don't hate the guy. I am just not a fan of his coaching style. He will not adjust and he will not change.

If I remember correctly this whole board was pissed at the fact that Rudy and CD gave Cato that big contract. Everyone on this boad was also pissed at the first round draft picks that Rudy wasted.

But Like edc in the post above
    Everyone is too blame for the lapse of the Rockets in the 4th quarter, not just the players.

16. two-sandwiches

So when we beat good teams is it their coaches that should be fired for their teams collapse.....for instance POpovich or PHIL jackson?

Its the players....you give them a gameplan......so I guess a combination of both but it seems like the players make mistakes more than JVG.

I totally understand alot of you hate JVG's coaching style but as long as we win I don't care whose the coach.......its just when this team does good alot of you don't give JVG credit, which makes me suspicious of your objectivity.

I do agree that JVG could be more creative and trusting in the other players but THEY have to make a case for themselves and I believe some players such as VSpan are just not fully capable in this league.

Happy to see Rockets doing better admist the injuries this season more than last.....and you have to give JVG credit for that improvement at least.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I have never classified myself as a "hater." Just because one disagrees does not make him/her a hater or a lover. Now, that said:

JVG personally lost that Denver game. By playing only seven players .... well, eight if you count JL3's 14 seconds ... they ran out of gas when the game was on the line. Also, they had to play tentatively since they all had at least 4 fouls.

JVG's lack of faith in the other five Rockets and failure to call timeouts to give his marathoners a short rest was enough to cost us the game. Yes, players make shots or miss shots to win or lose games. However, if their legs are no longer under them due to poor coaching decisions, well, you can no longer blame the players.

18. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I bet you Clutch sits around in his estate reading these type of threads and longs for days when money was scarce but intelligence was abundant.

19. m004378

m004378 Member

With a coach like JVG, it surely will be cold and rainy out there.

20. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

haha...that's a good one. I just hate the fact that we are getting beat, whether its by good teams (Mavs and Suns) or by decent teams (Denver), when we arent even putting our best players on the floor.

*Wells and Snyder need more PT. 2 big guards and they cant even get in the game for more then 20 minutes. In shape, out of shape...i dont give a damn. Thats just a lame excuse.

*Rafer needs LESS PT. McGrady can run the point and create for other guys.

I'd like to see a rotation of McGrady, Wells, Snyder, Battier and Deke/Howard just to see what would happen. Especially when team like Dallas and Phoenix go small. We can go "small" yet be big at the same time, which would cause a mismatch or 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.