1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Like most people on this board. I don't necessary like Juwan Howard as a player. I look at the stats and see his +/- and wish Hayes was on the floor more than him.

Even though he has been a very productive player over years, I wanted him to be included in the Shane Battier trade and not Swift but it didn't work out and now I am glad.

He has been awesome the last few games and I truly beleive that he deserves some major love. Keep it up Juwan.

2. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

i dont get it...you dont like him as a player yet you want more love for him... :confused:

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Juwon deserves the love, and more importantly he never deserved half the hate he got. Last year when both t-mac and Yao were out, Juwon seemed like the only guy capable of coming through.

Now he is still coming through, but we have more people around him that are able to help out.

4. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

I just hope howard can keep up this play when Yao comes back to relieve some of the double team pressure yao receives, cause with hayes in the other team doesn't even guard him and howard was bricking while yao was healthy.

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I never understood why he was hated in the first place. I find that he can be a little dirty/crafty at times, but he comes out to play and seems to be a great teammate. I can sympathize with how he might have felt hearing he wasn't going to be in the rotation at the beginning of the season, and I hope he stays in the rotation upon the return of all the injured players.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I've never had a problem with him. He contributes positively to the team most of the time. Juwan is the man! I hope teams keeping leaving him and Shane open; it makes watching a lot of fun.

7. MONON

MONON Member

JHo doesn't thrive well with Yao. However he will probably finish his career in Houston due to his play when Yao is out. He has been worth his weight in gold during Yao's injury this year.

8. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

It's quite a testament to our team that even without Yao there are as many positive threads about Deke and Howard and there are negative threads about Rafer. I love it.

9. Rockfan94

Rockfan94 Member

Did you guys noticed that a couple of weeks ago JVG made a comment about Howard saying that he was brought in to give the long jump shot to space the floor. JVG then said something like "unfortunately it has not worked out". Howard came out the next day saying that he knew he can do it and he did not care what other think what he can do. And then, all the sudden, Howard started hitting those jump shots.

I'd JVG challenged Howard and he responded positively.

10. Highwire

Highwire Member

It's ok to hate him for his last year's game, he lacked intensity. But as I have been saying many times here, it was Chuck Hayes who inspired him to make hustle plays.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i've always been a supporter of howard. yes he has his limitations but the guy does a lot of things well and he does help this team

plus, he was a steal off of waivers i fantasy

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

too lazy to search it.. more than enough of these threads of late. just put it in one of them next time..

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Juwan hate was dumb to begin with. I wrote it off as people having to have a scapegoat.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I've been really happy with his play of late. That 18-footer is money. And he's even hitting that little hook shot of his every once in a while. Plus he's shooting 90% from the free throw line which is insane.

15. stangend77

stangend77 Member

agreed! the dallas playoff series would have had a different outcome had he been there :D

16. pumbum

pumbum Member

gooood Lord i was such a juwan hater. nice to see him make haters like me shut up. i still cringe everytime he tries a post move - for now he just needs to keep on hitting that j. it pulls opposing teams PF's out and in doing so allows deke controls the boards

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I have never been a hater. But I have advocated and still do advocate that Juwan is not a good fit next to Yao, especially when his jumper is not going in. Right now, Juwan is draining that thing and it is making his game look sooooooo much better.

But, the minutes Juwan quits draining that shot, the rest of his game will suffer along with it.

What I really am happy about so far has been Juwan and Deke's ability to play together so effectively. I hope it continues. And when Yao gets back, I hope the rotation is Yao/Hayes as a combo and Deke/Juwan as a combo. When Yao goes out, Hayes should go out with him and we should sub both Deke and Howard. Then of course, if Hayes gets into foul trouble, we obviously have to use some other combination with Yao. In matchups with a big scoring PF that is getting over Hayes, I think that JVG should substitute early both for Hayes and Yao and bring in Deke and Howard, and then matchup Yao and Hayes when the big forward, (Duncan, Garnett) goes off the floor.

I am still not a long term believer in Juwan and Deke playing 30 mpg together on the court. I still can't help but feel that teams that are young and quick will run us out the gym and I still don't think we've gotten into a tussle with those sorts of teams yet. But it's coming. I just don't think those are quick and fast enough to keep up with a true uptempo, good shooting bunch. Of course, I hope I am wrong. I'd love to be wrong. Hopefully Juwan will keep canning the 18 footer and Deke will hold up defensively.

18. WNBA

WNBA Member

If Yao or Alston can make mid-range jumpers like Juwan, Rockets are going to be unstoppable.

19. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Props to Juwan, I thought dude was through, but he's doing his thing.

20. Omer

Omer Member

Juwan was KEY to us winning last night, did really well. Got T-Mac a few assists too.