1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Juwan Howard Injures Knee (UPDATE: Out 4 weeks)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 14, 2005.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

This is devastating news- we were already weak - no depth at PF- Howard was effective-esp. offensively. This has been a weak spot for us all season and last.

Recall Cato trying to guard a 40 year old Malone in the playoffs last year. Malone torched us....

This has been a great run this road trip.

This single injury to howard could spell disaster.

We played without and effective point guard in 1997- we cannot go far without a decent PF now.....

2. erying007

erying007 Contributing Member

Don't worry guys. Our PF backup can do something to fill the hole.

According to Houston's official Game Notes:

For the Record
    This season the Rockets are
    … 5-2 when Scott Padgett makes multiple three 3-pointers.
    … 4-0 when Ryan Bowen starts.
    … 3-1 when Clarence Weatherspoon attempts a free throw.
    … 1-0 when Vin Baker plays.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

This Blows . . .:mad:

4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Let's us keep the faith and pray hard guys! Shaq sprained his knee a few weeks back and there was even some reports saying he was out for the season. I saw that play when Juwan got hurt , players were tangled up together and Mike James fell into Howard's knee, from the looks of the TV angle, it looks like the side of his knee.

Let's us wait on the MRI today, I got faith with this team this season, somehow we've always find the right move or solution this year!

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

We may still make the playoffs, but no way do we get past the 1st round without a PF........

Bowen cannot score like Juwan, Padgett cannot defend like Juwan.

Spoon may be able to contribute -i.e. rebound - defense wise.

This is all really sad- Hope you are OK Juwan -regardless the Rockets chances at a post season run.....

Vin Baker does not count.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, we can only hope that Howard's situation is similar to Shaqs and he is only out for 1-2 weeks. But Sprains can be tricky. In all honesty Howard could be out 4-6 weeks or out for the season if it is a tear.

When Sura was out with the back injury I thought he was done and it ended up surprising us, maybe we will be lucky with Howard as well.

More than anything though, if Howard is out any significant length of time, it only underscores that this team really isnt that DEEP. Any injury and it can throw us completely off. Hopefully in the offseason we can add some more quality depth and youth to help bolster our veteran team.

7. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Sprained Knee can take three or four weeks. It usualy hurts a lot, so thi could be JH's case.
    It' s my personal experience.

But it takes serious time to get back 100%.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I think Feigen says it well:

link

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Vin Baker gets his chance.

DD

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

baker and moochie for...zarko! make it so...

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

UGH! Talk about bad news, is Vin Baker ready? Is Keon Clark signed anywhere? Oakley? Can he still play? Larry Johnson? Has Spoon been practicing? Someone...

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Looks like somebody poured liquor in Vin's Gatorade to pump him up. Lets hope NBA officials don't discover this secret.

13. lpbman

lpbman Member

I hope we'll see Mcgrady play more PF... he matches up well with Walker,SAR, Haslem... none are over 6'9 (not so well with KG, and Gooden but you never know as Gundy has been giving Mcgrady more difficult assignments defensively)
    I wouldn't mind see him on Kirilenko either...

I think James/Wesley/Sura/Mcgrady/C lineup makes us really tough to match up with, but obviously some of the minutes will go to Padgett/Bowen/Spoon that is if Spoon can stay healthy for more than 15 minutes

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I've been appreciative of Juwan and his ability to consistently hit the Elbow J from Day 1 of the trade. I hope it's not serious.

I'm a minority of 1, but if Howard is out for longer than 2 weeks, I look for Vin Baker to be a major positive factor. I'm big on body language and Baker's bench demeanor has been excellent.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Put down the crack pipe, McGrady's not playing PF.

I think Padgett, Weatherspoon, and Baker should be able to hold down the fort. Seriously. The rebounding production is unlikely to drop, and Juwan's scoring can be made up elsewhere.

16. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

I hope that you are kidding. There is no way that McGrady can guard ANY PF in this league. Yes, he is a good defender and he is long. But his body is not built to guard guys twice his size and strength. Guys like SAR and Haslem would tear him up on the boards and inside post moves. McGrady is strictly a SG/SF...

I hope Vin Baker gets some minutes. He really isnt that bad of an option, his game is actually alot like Juwon Howards. I want to see him get a shot at least...

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Well, I don't think most of us have appreciated Howard that much. We've sortof taken him for granted. I think we'll play PF by committee, depending on the matchups with Bowen, Padgett, Spoon and Baker. But, we'll be weak, IMHO.

Now that we are being labeled "contenders," someone might invite the Mailman.

If you thought we could win it all with him, would you accept Karl Malone on the Rockets?

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yep. He wanted a shot to prove he can still hang in this league. He'll likely get his chance.

19. shady1

shady1 Contributing Member

NO

20. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

He retired. He could have signed with the Heat or Spurs and refused to play with either. There's no point in bringing his name up.

I'll take my chances with Clarence and Vin. :)