1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Juwan Howard Injures Knee (UPDATE: Out 4 weeks)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 14, 2005.

1. soupman

soupman Member

It might be interesting to see a little small ball (ironic with Yao, as it seems). Yao w/ James, Wesley, Barry and Tmac could pose for success in some situations, particularly if JVG could figure out how to protect Yao some in a zone D. We will struggle more in traditional sets against the better PFs until Howard gets back.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Paddget is more than capable to knock down open 15 foot elbow shots. Spoon will give us D. We will be alright. Of course we still miss Juwan.

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

No, but you can win with Chucky Brown and Pete Chilcutt.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It definately sucks, but this isn't anything we can't overcome. Howard was playing well, there's no doubt about that, but I think we can plug in players who will compensate for some of the things Howard was doing. Spoon will have pick up the boards and Scott will have to make 18 footers. Bowen will have to guard 4s. The Baker thing is a complete mystery, so we'll find out what that's about.

2 questions:

1. Can we sign Dale Davis?
    2. Was Sura telling the truth when he said Baker looked good in practice?

5. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

4- 6 weeks ? He'll be back in time for the playoffs but he'll miss the rest of the regular season....

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys act like OTIS THORPE WENT DOWN.
    Come on!

I GUARANTEE we will have a WINNING RECORD without Juwan as our PF.
    [​IMG]

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dont understand why this whole BBS is freaking out. Why didn't you guys freak out when Sura was out?

All this means is Scott Padgett will be draining jumpers like pop-a-shot.

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Dale Davis was already signed by Indiana

9. fya

fya Member

Well JVG is going to get to use alot of bodies at the 4 now, lol. This sucks, but it's only a month not like he's out for good.

10. fya

fya Member

Oh some of us were. The Strickland scenario was all too painful.

11. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Missing Juwan for 4 weeks sure hurts! I'm a half full glass kind of guy so I think there may be some positives coming out of this:

1) Off season top priority for CD is to find that legit PF we've been looking for to compliment Yao.

2) Vin Baker may have a chance for one of those feel good stories of the season.

3) The team has no choice but to look for Yao more, now that he's the only low post threat that we have

4) Finally, Yao will get more than the pathetic 12 shots attempt per game, I'm thinking between 16-20 . There is no reason why Yao can not be a 20/10 player on a regular basis, which in turns will help solidify our push to the playoffs!

12. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

Thought you all like to read the whole article from Houston Chronicle:

link: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3086942

Knee sprain benches Rockets' Howard at least 4 weeks
    Associated Press

Houston Rockets forward Juwan Howard will be sidelined for at least four weeks after spraining his right knee during a collision with a teammate against Golden State on Monday night.

Howard left early in the fourth quarter against the Warriors after teammate Mike James fell backward into his knee. He had to be helped off the court by two teammates, wincing with pain on his way to the locker room.

His knee was examined in Houston on Tuesday, and he learned that he suffered a second-degree sprain of the medial collateral ligament. His loss comes at a particularly bad time for Houston, considering that the playoffs begin in six weeks.

Howard is averaging 9.6 points and 5.7 rebounds in his first season with the Rockets, who acquired him in the offseason trade with Orlando that also landed them Tracy McGrady. His efficient low-post game and blue-collar work ethic have helped the Rockets climb back into the race for homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Houston has been slowed by injuries, with starting point guard Bob Sura recently missing seven games with an inflammation of scar tissue around his vertebrae. Reserve guard Charlie Ward, who has been on the injured list since Dec. 26 following surgery for a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee, will miss the rest of the season after a blood clot was found in his right calf.

Scott Padgett and Clarence Weatherspoon are the only other power forwards on Houston's roster. That duo averages a combined 5.4 points, 4 rebounds and nearly 20 minutes a game.

Howard's injury might have derailed what was one of the best seasons of his 10-year career. He's advanced to the playoffs only twice, with Washington in 1996-97 and Dallas in 2000-01.

Howard spent the past two years with Denver and Orlando, when his teams went a combined 38-126 and each season finished with the NBA's worst record. He has a career average of 17.2 points and 7.3 rebounds a game with Washington, Dallas, Denver, Orlando and Houston, once earning All-Star honors in 1996.

13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I could be wrong about Vin...but...

...when I saw him get limited minutes a few weeks ago I noticed that his muscle tone has shrunk; caused by his alcoholism? Instead of looking 34, he looks 44.

I mean, there was no strength or shape to his body. I don't think he'll do much.

Padget and Spoon will get most of the minutes. I just didn't like what I saw when Vin stepped on the floor. Just seemed too slow, no lift, no strength.

14. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

We should have MO T and a 2nd round pick traded for Kurt Thomas know and not panic but instead traded Mo T and say what you want about him but he could score trading for mooch and vin baker not a great trade. I know we had to dump Mo but come on.

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I feel really bad for Juwan, he was having a great game too.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We were all freaking out.

And everyone breathed a sigh of relief when our Strickland/Barrett combo got summarily waived/banished to IR.

Personally, I would waive Barrett for Jamal Sampson right now as an extra body. But, I have been willing to waive Barrett for awhile- he's going to have to beat out Spanoulis for the 3rd PG slot next year and given that Spanoulis was actually drafted, I'd say the job will be his to lose (not that 3rd string PG is all that desirable). Never mind Moochie's guaranteed contract.

The one thing I've noticed about Vin, is he does seem to have a good attitude. He sits on the bench next to Deke and Yao. I think Padgett runs hot and cold, so there will be some games where we'll be ok. But if Padgett isn't hitting shots, I think Baker is low risk, high reward as far as his potential comparative contributions.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We are going to miss Juwan a lot. He was a steady influence for Yao and T-Mac in the frontcourt despite his defensive weaknesses.
    The pressure on our stars and the rest of team has increased a lot.
    Let's hope we won't have a major let down and will remain healthy for the rest of the season.
    Scott Padgett,Sppon and Bowen will have to divide the job among themselves.
    I don't think that Vin Baker is ready to contribute much but this is the opportunity for him to prove me wrong.
    I hope Juwan will recover within the 4 week period but he could be out longer as well.

18. Valio!

Valio! Member

Was my tv just screwy or when channel 2 reported at 6:00 that JH was down for 4 weeks they displayed a black Rockets R logo behind the news desk? That was weird. No one died. Did anyone else see that? Do the Rockets ever use that logo in black?

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank You. What possibly makes people think he can play even a tiney lick.

Here is what we know...
    1) Pretty much the entire league gave up on him years ago.
    2) Whoever signed him to his last contract (Boston?) tried to get out of it and BAKER HAD TO SUE HIS OWN TEAM TO GET HIS MONEY!!!!
    3) The Knick clearly suck, and they could not find time for him.
    4) The Rockets management staff, which has pretty much earned the respect of everyone here has seen him daily for about 20 days now, does not choose to give him any time at all. OK a few minutes in one blow out does not count.
    5) But WE think he needs to be given a chance. What are you possible seeing.

Blows my mind.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Because Bobby Sura said he thinks he can contribute from what he has seen in practice. The guy is a former all star who was a beast back in the day and now he is going to get some minutes to prove whether he still belongs in the NBA.