1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justified

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by North Star, Nov 21, 2006.

1. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

Hard to believe it's Justin Morneau winning the AL MVP. He was not even an All-Star. Had the game been played at an AL ballpark, he would have been an All-Star. This is an upset. I really really thought it was going to be DJ. Congrats to Justified.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Love it! He's who I was rooting for to win this award.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

you mean jeter didn't win?! the golden boy didn't get in on intangibles? wow, some justice.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was suprised that Morneau won it over Jeter and Ortiz (who was a distant 3rd). Good for him and the Twins...one of my favorite teams not named the Astros. He had a monster year that no one knew about. This could be one of the most quiet MVP years ever. He might already be a trivia question that no one outside of Minnesota knows the answer to.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

From Deadspin:

6. Buck Turgidson

Wasn't even the best player on his team...

but glad he won.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You could argue that he wasn't even the 2nd best player on his team.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

misleading thread title...

[​IMG]

9. Buck Turgidson

Good point, I was talking about position players & wasn't even thinking of Johan.

If Mauer hadn't missed 20 games...

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Actually, I'd say he's the 4th best on the team if you are talking about best players at their position. Mauer, Johan are the best at their positions and Morneau and Nathan are arguably the best at theirs.

I'm very glad to see Justin win the award though, the guy went from a huge disappointment last season to completely turning it around after the Twins horrible start and living up to his potential.

If only Liriano hadn't gotten injured, the Twins may have actually had the ROY to go along with the Cy Young, MVP and Batting Champ. That would have been amazing.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It would not surprise me if there was a league wide draft of Twins players that Morneau would be taken 4th (5th if Liriano was completely healthy). That being said, I was happy to see him win. If Mauer continues his development, he'll win a couple before he's through.

12. Buck Turgidson

"position player" = non-pitcher

But you may be right about Nathan...though I'd place lesser value on a guy who pitches ~80 innings vs. a guy who plays everyday (or a guy who pitches 200+ innings...which brings us back to the travesty of Hoffman finishing ahead of RoyO in the NLCYA).

Mauer is a complete stud - GG caliber defense behind the plate & a wicked stick...and I remember all the crap Minny took for drafting him ahead of Mark Prior.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They better switch Mauer to a different position (ala Craig Biggio). His legs will get shredded if he keeps playing catcher. He's too good a hitter to get stuck playing catcher forever because his career will be over quicker than necessary.

14. North Star

In a couple of years, he'll move to the OF. A good position for him because he's got an arm.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

WTF...Jeter should have been the MVP, period...

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

17. North Star

Another name for Nelly Furtado to mention in her music.

18. Buck Turgidson

The list of catchers who have had healthy, productive careers into their mid-late 30's is a long one. Unless some congenital/chronic leg/shoulder problem comes up, the Twins would be absolutely insane to move Mauer to another position. Gold Glove quality catchers are hard to find, GG quality catchers who can hit like Mauer come along once every 20 years or so.

Biggio was moved from behind the plate because a) his offensive game, unlike Mauer's, was built around his speed; and b) he was not a great catcher.

19. North Star

Mauer is not the slowest runner on the team.

20. Buck Turgidson

No, he's a great athlete...what does that have to do with anything?