1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice/Zierlein to host "The Game" 1560 AM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan17wagner, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Chronicle columnist Richard Justice said today he will host a late morning talk show on KILE (1560 AM) when the station is relaunched as "The Game" later this summer.

Justice said his show will air from 10 a.m. to noon, following program director John Granato's morning drive time show and preceding an afternoon show hosted by Chronicle columnist Ken Hoffman.

"(Justice) brings us deep sports knowledge and a presence in multiple media with his work in the newspaper, radio and on television," said Houston businessman David Gow, who purchased KILE earlier this year.

Justice, who said he had offers from the other three all-sports stations in Houston, said he hopes to host a guest-driven show patterned after Dan Patrick's show on ESPN Radio.

Also today, the attorney representing Lance Zierlein said he has asked an arbitrator to intervene in Zierlein's ongoing dispute with KILT (610 AM), which removed him from the air last month when he elected not to sign a contract extension.

Attorney Brian Zimmerman said the request was filed Monday with the regional office of the American Arbitration Association.

Zierlein, 610's longtime morning talk show host, continues to receive his salary under the "pay or play" provision in his contract, which expires at the end of November.

However, Zimmerman said the station has violated Zierlein's contract by failing to promote him as an on-air talent.

As part of the arbitration, Zimmerman said he will seek a ruling that would free Zierlein to seek work immediately with another station.

KILT officials said they had not seen the arbitration petition and had no immediate comment.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4975915.html

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Damn, I had hope that they'd do right with this station, but Justice?

He makes me want to rip my hair out.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

No more Dick on 610?

Maybe I can go back to listenting to them in the mornings now. :cool:

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Where does it say that he is doing the show with Zierlein? :confused:

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Seems like and older report almost.

Wouldn't that imply that he's still there?

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

No, I think that means he is still getting paid through November by 610, even though he's not on the air.

The thread title suggests he is doing a new show on 1560 with Dick Justice, but I didn't see that in the article.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Wow, I just finished watching Idiocracy, and I see this news. How very prophetic.

8. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

What kind of argument is that?

"Failed to promote him as an on-air talent?"

WTF?

He & John were the gods of that station. Other than Rome, no one else got more promotion...

Stupid.

9. surrender

surrender Member

Sports radio drama is very interesting

10. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

no damn it we want john and lance

11. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I think we're supposed to take the title as both will host a show on the station, not as both will host a show together.

12. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

It's fairly obvious Granato will be reunited with Lance for the morning show. Every other team is in place except the morning show. All will be right in the world of morning sports talk soon.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsmedia/2007/07/zierlein_beckham_and_a_salute.html

Justice says he will host a show from 10 a.m. to noon after considering and turning down opportunities to join the other three sports talk stations in the market. His show will follow John Granato's morning drive show and precede Chronicle columnist Ken Hoffman's afternoon show.

John Harris and Sean Pendergast will work afternoon drive, and Spencer Tillman will voice promos and intros and contribute to Granato's show, said KILE owner David Gow.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This station can't get off the ground soon enough.

I'm not one to pile on, but Mark and Andre are unlistenable. They both seem like very nice guys who are honestly trying their best, but I just can't listen anymore. It's not their fault. It's a shame they're caught in the middle of all this.

I'm glad Justice will be 10 to noon because I never listen to the radio at that time anyway. Him hosting his own show will be a complete TRAIN WRECK. I like how he has to mention that he's turned down offers from other stations. Whatever, Dick...

I'll probably stick with 610 for the drive home, but it will be great to have John and Lance back in the morning. They have their flaws, no doubt, but I've been with them since the very beginning and there's something to be said for that. As much as I like to complain about John's SEC football fetish and Lance's weak attempts at imitating Adam Sandler, I really do miss listening to them in the morning.

Viva John and Lance!!

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm with ya 100%. i'm looking forward to this station getting started.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Listen to NPR.

I flip between NPR and Howard Stern.

16. mbiker

mbiker Member

How long have you had the multiple personality disorder?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

god, the local sports scene is sucking big time. this station can't get here any sooner. I haven't listened to this little sports talk since 95. I'm trying to give vandemeer and ware a chance but it ain't happening.

somebody's gonna fold, I think its inevitable.

edit: can john lopez be anymore irritating? seriously, from his opinions, to his voice, to his "I'm cool attitude". dude go back to san antonio. its clear that's the market for him

#17 pgabriel, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The only Houston sports talk radio personality I can listen to is Charlie Pallilo.

He is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to sports knowledge.

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

This week is Howard's sports week. They're replays of old interviews. I heard Roy Simmons, former New York Giant and gay prostitute.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree with all of this.

lopez is BY FAR the worst. it's not close.