1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: Could the Rockets be changing their mind about Adelman?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 18, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Tick. Tick. Tick. Could the Rockets be changing their mind about Rick Adelman? No? Then what's the holdup?:
    [rquoter]I mean, enough already. If the Rockets are going to show Rick Adelman the door, then go ahead and show Rick Adelman the door. We're all adults here.

He has been around the block enough times to know he's not wanted. The Rockets have had months to extend his contract and haven't done it. Adelman can read the tea leaves.

Leslie Alexander doesn't want Adelman to be his coach. Neither does Daryl Morey. That's the overwhelming impression one gets based on conversations from people inside and outside the organization.

Likewise, Adelman isn't too thrilled with the Rockets. He's ready to win and tired of trades that bring in future draft picks that probably will never benefit him.

The Rockets appear to want a coach who'll be more inclined to use younger players, perhaps to sacrifice victories today for a better tomorrow. They'd also like one more inclined to teach defense.

So why are we waiting? Someone familiar with the organization's thinking said, ''This has to be done the right way.''

He paused before adding, ''Unless the owner has changed his mind.''

I doubt the owner has changed his mind, but stranger things have happened. On the other hand, the Rockets will have at least six or seven months to find the right guy for the job.

When these NBA playoffs are over, the NBA will be shutting down for a very long time, perhaps until January or February next season or whenever the players become convinced David Stern is serious about a hard salary cap.

There's not going to be any action, but moving ahead in the coach process would give the perception of action. And it would give a desperate columnist something to write about.[/rquoter]

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2011/04/tick_tick_tick.html

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Interesting...I thought it was all Les who didn't want him back, but Morey too?

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You have to take into account the source ..... Justice is a hack who loves to create controversy. I quit reading anything he's written several years ago , wish he would take his dog and pony show back to DC.

The Chron's sports coverage is some of the worst around , its sad when we have news break from sources outside of the Houston area with the Chron catching up a day late and a dollar short.

1 person likes this.
  4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Let's see who get's let go first, however, I do think RA and his crew time is up in Houston. The Brad Miller signing was atrocious and to give him $15 mln. Wow. I also think Kmart should come off the bench behind Courtney Lee who plays 10 times better D.

This would allow Martin to abuse 2nd teamers and score more without the worries of guard top tier 2nd guards. Shawn Marion abused him in the post and Martin was afraid to push back.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Justice just repeated the same drivel he wrote in his last column!

This is old news. Glad to see you're now up to date.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Damn, I guess they really don't want him. Definitely sounds like they want to move to the rebuilding stage. Can't blame them. I just want a clear answer on what direction we are going in so I can stop worrying,

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Could Adelman have focused on defense more? Maybe. Does a lack of "defensive teaching" even register when you look at the gross lack of ideal defensive personnel? Not even a blip.

1 person likes this.
  8. ThaShark316_28

I wish I could neg rep...

1 person likes this.
  9. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Simple: the rockets would rather the headlines read

"Adelman chooses to not return as Rockets head coach"

Rather than:

"Daryl Morey announces the Rockets have decided not to extend Adelman"

There's really no excuse not to extend him

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tick, Tick, Tick, that's the sound of Dick Justice's ideas running out.

[​IMG]

11. scottie brooks

Glad to see you are updating people on old updates they just read.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Is that Eli Stone?

13. flipmode

flipmode Member

in order to avoid chaos or uncertainty, it looks best if an organization does a smooth transition between coaches. imagine the craziness if adelman is let go immediately:

1) the rockets look like they are pissed at adelman, rather than coming to a mutual agreement that both have different goals

2) adelman has a hard time getting a new gig because of #1

3) prospective coaches look at the rockets in a bad light because of #1

4) other teams' coaching staffs start getting distracted from the playoffs, leading to bad blood between the rockets and other owners/GMs

5) free agents look at the rockets like they don't have their business in line, won't want to play somewhere where business isn't handled intelligently

6) avoid media pressure/season ticket holder threats to hire some random coach... the organization should always appear like "we got the coach we wanted all along"

makes sense that nothing substantive is leaked yet - at least until we start seeing coaching candidates freed up from the playoffs. i would assume this means we are looking at inactive coaches as well as up-and-coming assistants.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

it's Lumen's dessert. :cool:

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

haha i remember when the prevailing thought by the rockets brass when they decided to axe jvg was to bring in someone who could "coach offense." adelman's teams have always been above average defensively. being w/o any legitimate interior defensive presence for 2 years sure as hell isn't the coaches fault.

i guess i don't mind that the team clearly wants to bring in a young coach and essentially force him to tank next year, but if that's the case just come out and say it... don't try to paint one of the best coaches this organization has had as somehow incompetent or incapable of getting the job done.

honestly can't say i've been very impressed with the way this front office treats damn near everyone.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The one good thing about the NFL/NBA lockouts is that a bunch of crappy journalists and one media empire (espn) may be significantly scaled back, if not vanish altogether... and then maybe we'll get some new blood and media competition going.

#16 DonnyMost, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, it's

[​IMG]

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Perhaps if the coach knew whether or not he was going to be back the following year, he would be more inclined to do this. How stupid can they be. Yeah, we won't give you a contract for next year, but we want you to forget about winning this year.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The holdup is Stan Van Gundy is still in the playoffs and they cant talk to him.

20. Raven

Raven Member

And why would he want to work for the owner that dumped his brother?