1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just wait till Lin plays up to his potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Still waiting.

Any day now.

Don't let me stop you, Jeremy!

1 person likes this.
  2. MKL

MKL Member

I suffer from anxiety too. The reality of the situation is that White can't perform. White has a guaranteed rookie contract and is a millionaire.

Shouldn't the team expect to get what they're paying for? I'm sure he didn't go his draft interviews saying he can't get to work on time.

1 person likes this.
  3. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Lin's responsibility is more than just to score and win. He will need to help his teammates develop too. This is a young team that is not going to win the championship this year, so instead of short term wins they are also focusing on long term goals.

Lin said on his signing day, "...the only thing I can really promise is to give my best effort and try to be a good play maker, great decision maker, and try my best to be a humble leader and to serve my team mates."

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks for the coherent response.

5. kinein

kinein Member

When Lin plays up to his potential, don't be surprised to see harden at 40+ and Lin at 30+ easy.

Lins best was 37 points, Harden last season was 40.

And this isn't just by standing outside the 3 and shooting. We have the most badass court where - at the top of their game, no ones going to be able to afford to double/triple either ~ without paying for it.

As the rest of the team gets to contributing at a higher output - layups, alleyoops, dunks, inside/outside shooting etc. This team will start STEAMROLLING.

I'm on these forums so much because theres so much time between games lol. Got league pass again and been studying other teams to see how we match up as well as looking at WC schedules for some of the teams the Rockets are going to have to battle-it out against.

Want to see the rest of the team becoming more consistent, some spotty flashes here and there isn't going to cut it ~ but its only a few days into the season.

6. torocan

torocan Member

Jeremy Lin
    2010/11 - 285
    2011/12 - 943
    Total - 1248

Goran Dragic
    2008/9 - 729
    2009/10 - 1446
    2010/11 - 1236
    2011/12 - 1748

Dragic played more in every season except 2008/9 than Lin's entire career. In his first year alone, he played 3x the minutes as Lin did in his rookie year.

He would have gotten substantially more minutes playing as Nash's backup.

I never said that. What I said is that the bulk of a player's development takes place in the initial years, not that he would not continue to develop.

Dragic has already completed a considerable amount of time (over 4,000 minutes), thus his development is reasonably expected to slow as he has already spent considerable time working on the areas in which he has weaknesses.

[

I never made this argument at all. The argument that I did make is that the type of injury and surgery is not a significant red flag.

Except Lin's shooting has already improved.

He worked diligently during the offseason on his shooting, and has already previously shown development in that area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/s...lin-as-a-point-guard.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Jeremy Lin
    2010/11
    38.9 FG%, 20.0 3pt%, 45.8 TS%, 76.0 FT%
    3-9 feet - 23.5%, 10-15 feet - 25.0%, 16-23 feet - 27.0%

2011/12
    44.6 FG%, 32.0 3pt%, 55.2 TS%, 79.8 FT%
    3-9 feet - 41.4%, 10-15 feet - 48.3%, 16-23 feet - 43.0%

I didn't exclude that possiblity. I just said that a player who is further along in their development is less likely to make serious improvement than a player who is not as far along in their development. Think of it as a statistical probability.

I argue that Lin will continue to develop his shot, as he's diligently worked on it every season. This was stated in the previously referenced article.

It is also confirmed in this off season.

http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?ID=201208270018&Type=aSPT

As for his his meniscus injury and the type of injury, as well as the projected recovery.

Projected return of function... feel free to adjust for age differences.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953330/

Also...

http://www.sportsmd.com/sportsmd_articles/id/266.aspx

As for red flags...

http://www.bachmd.com/articles3/Arthroscopic Meniscal Repair.pdf

http://www.udel.edu/PT/PT Clinical ...ov09/Accelerated Meniscal Repair Rehab[1].pdf

Once again, you're ignoring what I said. I said that IF he improves, the rate of improvement would be SMALLER as it is PROBABLE (not certain) that he has already done the bulk of his improvement.

Here's one of the better ones analyzing his entire season.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/how-good-will-lin-be/

1 person likes this.
  7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Hey! Leave Darius Miles out of this. I really do think he would have been an amazing player if not for the whole constant injury thing. Poor guy. He had elite talent.

8. kinein

kinein Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VIQJGIkIvog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. split41

split41 Member

This is ridiculous. That was lin peak or near peak you can't expect that all the time.

I see Lin as, if being optimistic, heading toward Tony Parker numbers.

10. slickster

slickster Member

Lin's assist and steals numbers will likely easily outpace Parker's numbers, which are modest in both categories. Parker only averages 1 spg; Lin should double that. Parker's only once averaged over 7 apg; again, Lin should easily surpass that figure on a regular basis with starter's minutes. Lin averaged 8 apg last season per 36 in a wildly uneven campaign.

Lin's scoring average will largely be a function of what the team needs and right now, this team needs points.

Their situations are far from comparable, as Parker was surrounded by great scorers such as Duncan and Ginobili, and blessed with nice spot up shooters and a deep bench.

Lin will be counted on take 15 shots a game and score close to 20 ppg as the team is currently configured.

It just seems silly to try to project out career numbers accurately at this point. It's 3 games. Let 'em play!!