1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just Spinning A Thought...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, Jun 27, 2004.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

One of the issues coming out of the T-Mac move is that we now have considerable offensive talent, and as many have, I have spent some time lately envisioning the best way to utilize McGrady and Yao together. I know there's another thread about that, so my discussion isn't about that in and of itself, but thinking about just that led to this new thought.

One of the possibilities, of course, is what has already been shown to work: the Triangle. Only one coach has been able to implement that offense....and he just 'retired'.

Thing is, everyone says he'll be back to coach. He also has demonstrated a tendancy to go where the talent is. As of now, that could easily describe Houston.

So...just spinning out a thought here...do you suppose, should we succeed less than expected this year, or JVG shows an inability to put two stars together and come out with scoring...is it possible that the next destination for the Ring Vulture is Houston?

Would you want him here? Is he the best coach to squeeze as many rings as possible out of the best ( soon) center and one of the best perim players in the game? I like Brown and other coaches better, but if JVG proves unequal to the task, might it be a perfect fit, not to mention bordering on history repeating itself?

Thoughts?

2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

I'd say give JVG a chance, but whatever gets us rings i guess.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Interesting possibility. Teaching Zen to a Zennist?

Three coaches in four years (four with Larry Smith) might make Houston the Bermuda Triangle of coaching.

4. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

no edit sorry....

i live in LA as one of the laker haters, but Phil is ok

5. haven

haven Member

Hard to say. I don't seen the brilliance in Jackson that many seem to. But he's won 9 titles. And no, you don't win that many titles by being a bad coach. And the easy response, "well, the Yankees/Lakers/Real Madrid/Red Wings had the most talent" doesn't really work. Because while having hte best talent can make it highly likely that you'll win at all, Jackson's teams seem consistently ahead of the curve.

I think that, at best, Jackson sees the personalties well on the team and arrives at good combinations. I do not believe he's a great tactician. That still makes him, at minimum, a good coach.

Jackson would be a decent option of JVG fails us - not "the" obvious pick, nor someone we shoudl exclude from the hiring process.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

same exact thought crossed my mind today. I don't like Jackson but from a pure basketball standpoint it would make perfect sense. He's got 9 rings to back it up. Phil's always criticized because he always has the best players on his teams. Houston is about to be home to 2 of the biggest superstars in all of the league. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's on our bench next year.

7. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

man i thought this thread would be about calvin murphys baton twirling appearance on cheap seats...

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

#8 IROC it, Jun 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I'd pick Jackson over JVG in a heart beat, but in fairness to JVG, we should give the guy one, maybe two more years.

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

To clarify:

I am not calling for JVG's head, or saying we shouldn't give him a chance. And additionally, I personally dislike Jackson in the extreme. But in the event that JVG doesn't get it done, or can't, end of the day, coach offense out of offensive talent, Jackson has shown the ability to win with top talent.

Additionally, he'd want to do it to put it to JVG again...

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hey they took our coach.....

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing in the triangle master. Since P.Jackson "retired", I don't think Tex Winter has any committments. :D

13. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Phil Jackson sucks! He had the best player of all time during six of those titles and two out of the top five players in the league for the other three. If there's one thing I'd say he can do, that's managing to run a team effectively when there are big egos on it; it's not that big of a deal, though; many coaches can do that. Phil Jackson has been just plain lucky. Screw him, he's an idiot and complains to the refs when the call is correct more than anyone.

14. omar23

omar23 Member

Altough I personally dislike Jackson and feel he is overrated he would be light years ahead of JVG in the following ways:

1. He is a coach who knows his players/teams strengths! Tmac is a great scorer and that would be his primary role here. He would know how to work a good guard/center combo without making one player sacrifice his game greatly.

2. The nba and the league respects him. With him on our team the Rockets instantly would be getting more calls than usual, and when he speaks up about Yao getting hacked the league will listen. Works better than JVG's do nothing method.

3. He can coach egos and players (save Kobe) like playing for him. He can attract free agents and knows how to deal with headcases.

4. Lastly Jackson's teams never have played JVG type ugly ball, the offense and the games will be much more fun to watch and players would actually be able to SCORE.

All of the above were things Rudy T (minus getting preferential treatment by refs) accelled at. Personally I would rather see Rudy T back as head coach if we get Tmac as I feel he would be the perfect coach-- but most likely the Rockets probably wont do that so Jackson might be the 2nd best option.

One thing is clear JVG has gotta go! :)

15. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

i would like to see what kind of coach phill would be without tex. kinda like pippen without jordan--or jordan without pippen for that matter.

16. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Boo! Boo this man!

17. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

18. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

I could've sworn this "great" coach, Phil Jackson, just got served by Larry Brown and the Detroit Pistons.

JVG is definitely more in the mold of LB in that he wants his teams to "play the right way." I know Yao and TMac will be the 2 most obvious options, but I'm convinced this year is gonna be more about the team. In contrast to all of last year's discussions ... Yao's team vs SF3's team ... this year will be more about the Rox as a unit. Brown has all but mandated it league wide ... We're coming at teams with all 5 of our guys ... on both sides of the floor.

Phill just lost with 4 HOFs? Phill just lost with 2 of the supposed top 5 players in the league. I'll bet anyone that if the LB was coaching the Lakers and Phill coached the Pistons, that series would've gone the other way easy.

So I think if JVG just utilizes the strengths of each player on the floor offensively:

- pick and roll with Gaines and Howard/MoT/Yao/McDyess/TMac
    - Yao/MoT in the post
    - Tmac iso
    - inside out with DFish/Barry/JJ
    - double screens for JJ/Tmac/Barry
    - etc.

And gets them to buy into relentless total team defense (A la the Pistons) the Rockets are primed for a wonderful season.

We don't need Phill. Give me a coach that preaches team ... 5 on 5 ... any day.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Phillip came to Houston and Rudy went to LA, I think I might just go insane.

20. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

1. JVG is a very good coach.

2. Larry Brown just showed how good he is. Would have been very nice to get him.

3. I like Jackson.

That said, if Jax were to come here, what are the chances that T-Mac would want to play in the triangle? Kobe did not like it. Who knows he might, but that was just a thought...