1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just some thoughts... Hou/Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by myronm, Jun 24, 2002.

1. myronm

myronm Contributing Member

Would drafting Ming with the first pick and acquiring the seventh pick from New York with the following trade create an improved situation for the Rockets and the Knicks.

Ming
    Camby
    Griffin
    Mobley
    Jackson

Francis
    Houston
    Anderson
    Thomas
    Cato

Houston trades: PF Kenny Thomas (14.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.5 minutes)
    PG Steve Francis (21.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 6.3 apg in 41.1 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    C Maurice Taylor (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    SF Glen Rice (8.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 30.3 minutes)
    Houston receives: PG Mark Jackson (8.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 7.4 apg in 28.9 minutes)
    C Marcus Camby (11.1 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 34.7 minutes)
    SF Latrell Sprewell (19.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.9 apg in 41.1 minutes)
    SEVENTH PICK
    Change in team outlook: -12.0 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and +2.2 apg.

New York trades: PG Mark Jackson (8.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 7.4 apg in 28.9 minutes)
    C Marcus Camby (11.1 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 34.7 minutes)
    SF Latrell Sprewell (19.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.9 apg in 41.1 minutes)
    SEVENTH PICK
    New York receives: PF Kenny Thomas (14.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.9 apg in 72 games)
    PG Steve Francis (21.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 6.3 apg in 57 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 75 games)
    C Maurice Taylor (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 75 games)
    SF Glen Rice (8.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 20 games)
    Change in team outlook: +12.0 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and -2.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

um that looks terribly lopsided to me. new york rips us off

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It would improve the Knicks a ton but it would suck for the Rockets.

DaDakota

4. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

Come on, your purposely trying to pizz people off

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Troll-alert!

:eek:

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

What a stupid trade!!!

This destroys everything the Rockets have been doing for the last 3 years.

The Trolls are lurking.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I feel sorry for the people of this board that actually have to waste their time reading crap like this.

8. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

What's worse... A Knick fan or a troll? Wait, how about being both? Trade sucks, go back to your lab with Vescey and come up hopefully with something that works. Wait a minute, DON'T POST TRADE IDEAS.

9. myronm

WOW, not only are you guys quick, but you are also rather angry!

The only piece of the Rockets that we lose that is really worth anything is Francis. I have read for a couple of weeks several versions of what Francis "thinks" or has said regarding the Ming pick. I am of the opinion that Francis is a great guard. He is an immense talent and in my opinion, the Rockets can only go as far as Francis takes them. Negatives about Francis includes the health problems, the maturation process required of most guards historically (for you pre-teens check out the history of successful guards and the four to seven years that most of them took to mature short of Magic and recently Bibby).

As most of you have so readily pronounced, this is a great trade for NY and as I have previously stated, the Rockets only lose Francis and several bad contracts. In return they pick up a terible contract for a good SF in Sprewell. Additionaly they pick up an oft-injured but talented big-man in Camby to work at the PF spot. Finally the weakest piece is picking up a replacement PG in Jackson, but one with a couple of years left to help train a new PG potentially picked at the 15th or 37th spot.

PAY ATTENTION BOYS AND GIRLS, we also pick up the 7th pick without giving up the 15th or the 1st pick.

We draft Ming at one, Gooden at the seventh, and who knows after that. We balance our youth (Ming, Griffin, seventh Pick, etc.) with a several veterans including Mobley, Jackson, Sprewell, and Camby.

Please forgive me if I am a lurker, but remember not all Rocket Fans spend their lives at ClutchCity.net, although I must say that it is the best site for us true fans!!!

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You have just met a vanguard of The Clique-- if not The Clique Itself. You are fortunate to have survived relatively unscathed. Have you heard of TroyBaros?

11. Texan69128

Texan69128 Member

you are an idiot

12. myronm

I was hoping to hear from other Houston fans.

Texan69128, that was cool!

I posted the same trade on Real GM and will report back the thoughts from other fans including Knicks fans (who often over-value their players like most other fans). Giddy-Up, I respect and appreciated your reply.

#12 myronm, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

The trade tries to be fair - but Houston ends up with 2 good but slightly overpaid players and probably destroys their chemistry. In return, we give up a (potentially troublesome) star.

I'm going to invoke the first rule in trading to shoot this down logically: He who gets the best player wins the trade.

The other rule that would apply here is: Never rip apart a team without a damn good reason...especially if it's going to destroy your chemistry.

14. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Francis alone for Sprewell/Camby/Houston/#7/a couple hot Knick Girls... In fact, I still wouldn't do it if the Knicks offered to remake the movie Eddie(Whoopie Goldberg) with Houston as the main team.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that trade screws the rockets because saying "The only piece of the Rockets that we lose that is really worth anything is Francis" is a HUGE understatement. we don't need any of the players we get in return and it sets us back 2 years while making us older at the same time.

well even if he was a troll/lurker could you blame him? reading most of the posts these days, i'd imagine i could put down any trade involving steve and think it'd be praised.

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Actually, I saw only one suspected 'clique' member in that barrage. It was just a good overall effort by the old school and newbies alike. [​IMG]

17. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I am not so sure as to why everyone thinks this is soooo terribly lopsided.

Ming
    Camby
    Griffin
    Mobley
    Jackson

But we have a bench of Wagner or Wilcox(with #7), TMo, Norris, Sprewell, #15 (Dickau if we take Wilcox, Hilario if we take Wagner)

We could probably do better for Francis, but it wouldn't be the worst deal we have ever made.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Camby, Jackson, Spreewell
    Old over the hill PG
    Oft Injured center
    and potential Headcase [though he has been good for a while]
    ALL WITH BIG *SS CONTRACTS!!

Rocket River
    no thanks

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Giddy, a lot of the people who responded so negatively were fairly new...how could newbies be in the dreaded Clique?

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... just kidding...having some fun...doesn't matter... is it really dreaded?