1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just say NO to Odom!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Apr 22, 2002.

1. GranvilleWaders

I think Lamar Odom can play.. for some reason..thinking the rockets might pick him up makes me uneasy.. frankly he is good at a lot of things but not great at any..at least not great enough to risk what he might infect the Rockets with..I forsee him being another Scottie Quitten..You've heard of "Just say no to drugs'..(obviously Odom hasn't)..I am here to start the "Just say no to Odom" club..who's with me!!

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Fankly, so was/is Robert Horry (4 rings) and so was Scottie Pippen (6 rings) and so was Sean Elliot (1 ring), etc. Honestly, that is exactly what this team needs right now - someone who is good at doing a lot of different things.

Almost every player in the league comes with some sort of baggage. Heck, even Vince Carter now has the he's too soft and can't carry a team label. Odom's baggage is his drug "problem." Whether or not some of us think doing pot is/isn't okay or every other player in the league does it, it is correct to assess Odom as having a drug problem in relation to his basketball skills. He does drugs, he gets caught, he gets suspended - it has happenned more than once for him and it could cause problems - we've seen what the lack of a stable lineup meant for this year's Rockets. Still, to call him another Scottie Quitten for the Rockets may be premature. Surprisingly, you haven't heard much from Odom in the media recently (despite being ripped as the next player to possibly dissapear and his game not improving the Clippers, etc, etc). Guaranteed if the same thign was happening to Quitten he'd be bi*ching in the press about it. Even with the drugs, the risk, in my opinion, is not too great.

Not me. If we could get Odom without giving up too much, you have to go for it.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well if we can't do anything better (Lewis), then I wouldn't be opposed to getting Odom if it was just for one year to see how he works out. I'm not sure exactly, but doesn't he just have one more year on his contract after this season? If they were acquiring with multiple years on his contract I would be totally against it.

4. GranvilleWaders

You mentioned guys like Sean Elliott and Robert Horry.. those guys were/are great role players.. but they didn't demand the salary that Odom does.. as far as the drug thing goes ..that really doesn't concern me.. what does concern me is the thought of giving a high lottery pick for him.. also his salary which I am not sure of off-hand but is probably closer to the max.. and lack of defense..our SF also needs to have a long-range shot..at least as long as Rudy is around.. we can't afford to dish out the dollars on another defensive liability..I am just thinking all that makes me want to find someone else.. Rashard Lewis maybe..if anyone else has any suggestions.. I am still in the "Say No to Odom club" maybe I am all alone.. crickets... chirp...chirp...

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Isn't Horry making close to 40 millino dollars? Money isn't an issue when you're winning. Odom came out about the same time as Francis, why are people willing ot give Francis the time to develop into a superstar but are saying that Odom won't develop into one. He has the skill, he just needs the discipline. I don't buy the "defensive liability" copout people use on superstars. Guys like Sean Elliot, and Jeff Hornacek weren't defensive stoppers. Put in a good team defensive scheme and you won't have to worry about individual defense. Other then Shandon Anderson and maybe Bryon Russell the Jazz during their conference finals and Finals runs in recent years didn't have a ton of defensive stoppers, they played team defense. I'll take that.

6. JayZ750

In Odom's rookie year he averaged more points, rebounds and assists per game than averages than Robert Horry has ever averaged in his now 10+ years in the league. Almost the same comparison can be made to Elliot (although Sean did have a few years where he really scored a lot). Odom's does everything well, with the potential to do everything really well.

I, too, would probably not give up our high lotto pick for him. But a future draft obligation, or this year's other pick plus filler and/or KT, etc, and I'd do it. As always, it depends on the deal.

Granted I haven't seen a ton of Odom's games, but my understanding was his size and athletic ability make him a solid SF defender. He is bigger than most (and has long arms), but can also move his feet. He has averaged a steal a game and 1.5 bpg during his career. At the least he is as good and probably a better defender than Lewis.

In terms of the long range shot, this is Odom's main on the court weakness. But I don't think it is necessary, even in Rudy's system, for a player to have this. Rudy continued to play Morris, despite his lack of a shot, for example, and Odom is a much much much better offensive player than Morris. I beleive Rudy would adequately allow for Odom to post up some and space the floor so that Odom can drive off the weak side instead of having to shoot an open three.

All I'm saying is, if healthy, and if the right deal came along, to pass up on Odom would be r****ded.

7. GranvilleWaders

I agree that he has skills.. I just think Houston would have to give too much for him.. honestly ..what does everyone think that the Clips might ask for him.. and do you think the Rockets will pay that price?..does anyone know Odom's contract by the way? I guess I am saying no to Odom mainly because we would have to give up more than I believe Odom is worth to the Rockets!

8. GranvilleWaders

do you think they would accept our 14th pick and KT? If so then I would join the "Just say yes to Odom" club!!

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The only problem is that despite his lack of shot, Morris kept on shooting. Morris ended up with a lot of open outside shots and bricked nearly all of them. I can't help but think if that was someone like Rashard Lewis, the Rockets would have won a lot more of those close games due to his deadly outside shooting. I think Rudy DOES want a shooter at small forward, which is why he decided to take Glen Rice.

10. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

GranvilleWaders

Your characterization of Odom ("good at a lot of things, but not great.....")is exactly what Rudy says we need. If you read the Chron article:
    Francis OK with extension

Rockets hope commitment translates into leadership
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Rudy stated:
    "I'd like to find players that are not just offensive players -- that will block shots, rebound, get some steals," Tomjanovich said. "Defense, we know, has to be an area we improve in."

and compare that to Odom's career stats,

RPG.........APG.......SPG.........BPG........PPG

it seems to me that Odom fits that description.

Outside of including Francis, Mobley, EG and MoTay(Cippers wouldn't take him back anyway), I'd be happy with just about any deal that brought us Odom. Thus, I would be happy to give the clippers both picks and a player for Odom.

However, given that the Clippers already have 2 lottery picks (theirs and Atlanta's), I can't imagine them wanting more picks.

11. JayZ750

I agree, but wouldn't we also have had success with Odom catching the ball on the weak side and driving to the lane, or swinging the ball around to the weak side and then feeding Odom in the post with a now switched defender on him. Still, Rashard does have the shooting edge, but I think many more plays have the possibility of starting with Odom than a player like Rashard who has people generally create for him.

I'dd be happy with either player, but also wouldn't want to give up too much.

I think given the fact that it didn't seem like Odom made much of a difference in the W-L column for the Clips, KT and #14 shoudl be adequate return. But the Clips may not do that deal because they don't really need more draft picks right now and they have a number of tweener 3/4 type players as is it seems. Maybe have to throw in Moochie, but would Sterling want his salary and would the Rockets be willing to part with the fan-friendly and team friendly player?

12. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Honestly I don't see anything that the clippers would want from the Rockets in a trade for Odom outside of Francis or maybe Griffin(if that). Alot of you guys are really underestimating Odom's skills. Yes he might not be with the best in terms of his shot but it's not that bad. I get the impression that many of you guys think he is just horrible from the outside which is not true at all. Do you guys honestly think he is only worth Thomas? I for one do not think Thomas will ever be an allstar or even a career starter for any team out there which I think Odom can be. The problem isn't if Odom does have range, it's just bad shot selection. Sure occasionally he has bad nights where he can't hit but I think every player has that every once in a while. He use to take to many 25ft 3 pointers and granted he occasionally make them but this is not a shot I think he is suited for, he also use to release way too quick after a drive but I think in time he will more experience and take better shots. He is a streaky shooter, where he can hit 3 or 4 shots in a row, or miss too. But more than not he is not a player that will hurt a team from the outside. And remember he's only 22 Battier is 23, Odom is very young, in fact he would be a rookie next season if he stayed in school for 4 years of play. As for determination, the guy wants to win badly. He loves to play, he even played in the summer league games. How many stars even tried that after they have proven themselfs. He is also a leader and a teamplayer. He is usually the guy to call the team together to chat in a game. He even said that he rather not score much and do all the little things to win when brand was traded to the Clippers. As for team decisions, the Clipper coach asked what Odom wanted to do in the trade for Brand, that's how important the guy is to the organization. He was the one doing the press conference for the trade. As for the drug problem, yes that could be a problem but that's it, nothing else. As for turnovers I see it as a just being a young player that is being a little too fancy, and some of it is because his teamates, it isn't because he can't dribble or pass. I see him as a perfect compliment to the rockets. I really don't want another scorer as long as we have Francis, Mobley, Griffin and Taylor. How many other teams out there have more than 4 players scoring 14+points a game. I don't want to be the trailblazers. I think we need players that can do other things than score. What more can u ask for from the SF position on our team. I would be happy just to have Odom do what he did this year and average 13pts, 7rebs, 6ast, 1.5 blks and 1 stl would be just fine for me. We already have 2 20+pts per game scorers and two potiental 14+pts players. We don't need really need another 20+scorer. What we need is a player that can create shots, pass, rebound and block and Odom does all of that. sorry for the long post.

13. Live

Live Member

Actually, unless the Rocks are in position to draft Williams or Wagner, it will be the Clips saying 'NO' to the Rocks.

If the percentages are correct, you have nothing to worry about.

LA's #1 is totally on the mark

Ditto for Rashard and the Sonics, I think the Sonics would rather over-pay than lose Lewis.

14. Sane

Sane Member

You know what I was thinking today?

The absolute BEST scenario for the Rockets would be this:

Trade our 2 picks and Thomas for the #2 pick. We probably won't get the first pick, because it's the first. The second pick is obviously easier. Besides, picks are available this year. Lots of teams are looking for depth rather than impact player.

Why the #2 pick?

Say Jason Williams goes #1. We have Yao Ming. Jumper out to 3-pt range, and don't even get me started on defense. Only problem? He needs time to develop. Which is perfect, because Cato will start a season or half a season till the guy adjusts. Next offseason, it really won't be that tough to trade Cato, especially if he starts most the season, and shows the same production he showed 75% of this last season, because his salary won't be so high anymore. It will be close to the middle-class exception , in fact.

If Ming is gone? The Clipps will trade their soul for Jason Williams. There's no one they'd rather have. No draft pick? Wrong. We'll trade Williams for Odom and a future pick, or a pick in the same draft to get a big man.

Doesn't it work out so perfectly?

#5, #14, and KT for #2. You say it's too much to give up for the #2? Think like this: Is it worth either Yao Ming or Odom and a young potential filled backup C or Odom and a future draft pick?

I think so. KT is expendable. There's just no place for him. I definitely think Cato and T-Mo can both serve as "just in case" 3rd sting PF's. What we're lacking is someone that will make it easy to limit Rice's minutes or that one player who will be our super-sub now and our "last piece" sooner rather than later.

Thoughts?

15. Juugie

Juugie Member

Everyone keeps talking about Yao Ming's shooting range. Why would we want a 7' 6" guy out shooting three pointers? Don't we already have enough players that stand outside the line and jack up threes? I want an inside guy that's going to dominate the paint on both ends. I want a guy that's going to do the dirty work. Get in there and rip down boards and block shots as well give us a valid low post option. WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER SOFT BIG MAN!

16. Sane

Sane Member

Juugie,

You obviously don't know Yao Ming. He CAN go out to 3-pt territory. But did you know he loves to dunk? He loves contact? He loves a tough game? Did you know he once had 19 blocks? That's 38 points buddy. I think that pretty dominant on one end AT THE VERY LEAST. He's said to have a creative post game and can hold down a spot in the post, but maybe that's just China. Still, the way the C spot is in the league these days, he probably CAN hold down his spot.

Yao Ming is NOT Wang Zhi Zhi.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Odom is a different type player. He can and will be a player that can avg 17pts 7rebs and about 6asst. Its not like its not enough balls to go around. How many scorer's do Dallas have? There is enough balls and you can't count Taylor scoring anymore than what he did before. Odom on this team would be probably the most talented player even on this team. Someone comapred him to Horry or Elliot which is crazy. The Rockets didn't get a player with the type of skills like Odom until they got Clyde. To get a player with this skill level at his age 22 would be a coup. How difficult would it would be to defend the Rckets with Odom,Mobley and Francis? Very difficult just like defending Dallas.

18. ricky812

ricky812 Member

There is no way odom will work out because we just can't afford him. Cato is making 7 million a year, Mo 8 mil, Rice 9 mil, and after francis signs that max contract, there will be no salary cap room left for odom. And if there was, we need to save for the future when we sign EG. I say draft a good Sf and play him for 4 years cheap on rookie contract.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

we don't have cap room anyway, its just a matter of having the player then you can sign him for whatever amount you want. You can go over the cap for your own players. I think Les wouldn't mind paying the luxury tax if this team was a contender. What you don't want is avg players(like ny and mia) taking up cap room and still don't make the playoffs or contend. Francis,Odom,Cat and Griffin could be serious players and 3 out of the 4 have star potential. That could put you in Dallas/Sacramento class. Les has shown that he will spend if he can win. By the time Griffin comes along, we will be able to get rid of taylor and maybe cato.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Odom would instantly make the Rox a 50+win team. His talent would open up avenues on offense and from what I've seen he's a fairly complete player. Lee made good point w/ the Clyde comparison - a player w/ the talent and skills like Odom just bylacing up his kicks and taking the floor is going to make an impact. All this being said, I'm not so sure the Clipps will give him up for anything short of Francis, Mobes, or Griff included in the deal.