1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just had a car accident. Advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Oct 29, 2013.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

You don't have to settle your medical claim right away. Wait a few months to determine the extent of your injuries.

2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

as a matter of fact do not rush to settle anything, but make sure you get treated as soon as possible and get your vehicle situation taken care of

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks. I was confused on how this one worked. My neck and back are really starting to kick in with discomfort. I'm sure it's nothing major but i need to make sure. Should i contact a lawyer before i even go to the hospital?

4. NateNate

NateNate Member

Good advice thanks... i'm debating if o want to go to an ER or make a doc appointment

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You should get a nice settlement out of this. Not condoning any insurance fraud, but make sure to say you didn't have any pre existing neck or back pain otherwise they'll try to deny any claim.

6. NateNate

NateNate Member

LAST QUESTION!

Should i go to ER or make a doctors appointment? I have a case number her insurance company gave me. Will the hospital billing department use that or my personal insurance for the time being?

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'd call a lawyer before speaking with the other driver's insurance company. If you say anything to them regarding the accident before being obtaining counsel, calling a lawyer won't do you any good.

8. body slam

body slam Member

If you are in that bad of pain go to the Dr now. Worry about a lawyer later.

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

IBSTYTSD

(In before Swoly tells you to slow down). :cool::p:eek::mad::eek:;)

1 person likes this.
  10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

The hospital will probably ask for your insurance as well because they want to get paid, so what will end up happening is you will need to fight to get payment back from the other party's insurance.

I had something similar happen almost 8-9 years ago. I let my insurance handle talks with the other insurance on getting the reinbursement while my insurance covered me up front for repairs.

My neck started hurting maybe a week after the accident and had to fight to recoup medical bills so at that point I had to hire a lawyer. Turned out a MRI showed that my neck had a herniated disk.

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

Big help thanks! I haven't contacted my medical insurance company but i guess i should before i go

12. NateNate

NateNate Member

This is what I've done so far...

I called my insurance first
    They logged the accident and told me to go ahead and contact their insurance to make a claim.

I soon called their insurance to make a claim. Received a claim #
    I didn't contact a lawyer ahead of time and have yet to

I'm about to contact My medical insurance and head to get checked out at hospital.

Depending on the doctors visit I'm still debating about the lawyer as i am curious to know what they will offer me first

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Happened to me 4 years ago.

I didn't let the ambulance take me to the hospital, but the cops dropped me off at the local PD and my GF picked me up, and took me to the hospital in the town I live in.

The Dude who hit me was an old man, not wearing his glasses (restriction on his licence). I was stopped with traffic on HW 59N and he rear ended my truck at about 55mph.

It took HENDERSON PD 3 weeks to finish my police report. Paid everyting out of pocket till I could finally get my report to know who hit me.

His insurance ended up totaling my truck out at around 12k, and paid about 5K in medical bills. (xrays and MRI on my spine)

I settled quickly though, because having to pay for the rental car out of pocket was killing me.

My nose is still F'd. Any pressure on my nose, and it'll crunch and re-break. Had a crack on the bone area when the wreck happened.

14. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

sorry and good luck
    hope u didnt get seriously hurt

15. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

What kind of auto insurance do you have? I've been in several accidents through the years, only one of which was my fault, and I've never had to contact the other person's insurance carrier. That is what you are paying your company for. It is their job to fight to get you every penny you are owed. They should also be able to walk you through the exact procedure for getting your medical issues checked out. It doesn't sound like they are doing anything.

16. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I hope it is your way of describing bad sarcasm

17. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

But to give you advice on this; get a lawyer when you have a chance; get your body examined since your back is starting to hurt, physical therapy this and that they will have to pay for that; much easier and less hassle to have a lawyer. call saul

18. NateNate

NateNate Member

I have a bottom of the barrel insurance company. I really didn't feel like going through it with them at all so i went ahead and called myself. I probably wouldn't trust them to handle it anyways.

19. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

I use All-State insurance, expensive as hell, but well worth it after I was in a 3 car pileup on the freeway. They had a bunch of people working my case, looking at damage right away, and filing my claim. They were super fast and efficient.

My advice, get as many witnesses on your side as you can. Take pictures and video of the damage immediately following the accident. Evidence is Power.

20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The drivers are so getting benched