1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just bought a gun(9mm)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ILoveTheRockets, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ILoveTheRockets

Just bought a J.A. Arms 9mm pistol. Any one familiar with this pistol? If so can you tell me what you can about it, if it has a high jam rate, or any other problems associated with them?

Bought for $125, talked them down from $180. Barrel where the bullet from magazine meets bullet has some black gunk(maybe from cleaning it?) Doesn't look like it has had much use, but both magazines are scratched all to hell. Concerned about the black stuff(doesn't look like cleaning it would take the stuff off) Don't know if that is normal, the "gunk" is black.

Should I replace barrel and the metal in chamber just to be on safe side?

[​IMG]

Not my gun, but looks exactly same.

2. droxford

droxford Member

I recently inherited a Sig Suaer 9mm pistol that I just took to the range for the first time yesterday. I was surprised at how good its feel is.

But I'm not a gun nut and don't know anything about your gun

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's a Rockets forum... what do you think?

Also... why do people from other states have such an aversion to firearms? Seriously? Are they indoctrinating kids in other states?

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I want a gun (neighborhood break-ins and robberies ), what all are the steps one has to go through?

License? Classes?

6. Jamers

Jamers Member

don't kill me bruh... i'm still a virgin

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you are talking about the feed ramp having something, it really needs to be cleaned and polished. Essential to reliability.

If you have problems with it feeding even after it is cleaned and properly lubricated, try different ammo. If it can't run on round nose FMJ's it likely won't run on anything.

if you are a resident or citizen you just go get one and pass a background check.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bigtex?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Y SO SERIUS???

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

China.

11. ILoveTheRockets

Yeah, I just bought regular ammo for it to see how it would run. But after reading a few reviews, the barrel is just to thin to run anything to hot through it. I'll probably replace firing pin, trigger, barrel and anything else I run across before firing the pistol. I bought it because the price obviously, but because the gun looked clean besides what i'm concerned with. Just wondering if any one has fired one, and what, if any, concern they had with it.

12. Bandwagoner

I wouldn't invest anything in this gun. It would be foolish. If yours hasn't been shot much replacing stuff is just a waste of money.

Just clean, lubricate and shoot it. Lesson learned.

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Sig Sauer makes great guns. Lots of cops use them, and they can be very expensive.

14. Bandwagoner

Yeah having the Sig name come up in this thread is shameful.

#14 Bandwagoner, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  15. ILoveTheRockets

yeah, but for $125, it wouldn't be much of a hit. If I replace any thing, it would still be cheaper than buying a new one.

Just want to make sure this thing operates without getting a slide imprinted in my forehead.

16. Bandwagoner

If you replace anything you will sink more money in a gun that still presents that possibility. (i guess anyways, never bought a POS) A good barrel will cost more than your gun, a trigger won't do any good, firing pin either. At most I would replace the springs IF they are out of spec. The best gains will come from cleaning and polishing. Those cheap type of guns cut major corners on finishing the roughly machined surfaces. Polish the crap out of the feed ramp, clean everything like mad.

Once you start dropping $$ in it, you put your budget into a new realm where you coulda just got a better gun in the first place.

17. ILoveTheRockets

Will do.

Wasn't expecting to buy it actually, but girlfriend drug me in a pawn shop today. I wouldn't have bought it, but girlfriend wants to get her CHL, figured it wouldn't be bad for her to use at the range for practice.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Because America's love of guns verges on the insanity, and not just some dude calling himself the Joker who walks into a Colorado theater and etc etc.

But the toothpaste is out of the tube as far as guns in this country. Hell, mass shootings just sell more guns.

Ya'll enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  19. ILoveTheRockets

I enjoy my liberties :). I'm not a felon, nor a irresponsible adult. Exercising my rights is a very enjoyable experience.

20. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm surprised it took so long for the thread to spiral into D&D territory.