1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just as drawn up - first Howard, then Harden, then Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LikeMike, Nov 3, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

I mean we are talking about only 3 games here, so it's just for fun, it doesn't really matter. We've seen Lin and Parsons for over a year(2 years for Parsons), so they are proven.

But the OP is talking about the 3 games in particular. Lin is our second leading scorer in roughly only 30 MPG. He is also 2nd in the entire NBA in scoring on drives. Harden is 3rd. Outside of the TOs, Lin has been very very good. Morey tweeted about his conversion on drives to the basket during preseason, and so far that has carried over to the real games. Hope it continues.

Parsons role on this team is to convert the open shots created by Harden/Howard/Lin. And so far he is shooting 16% from 3. Not that it matters, we know he will shoot in the high 30s in the end. But this thread was talking about 3 games, hence my comment you responded to.

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Parsons had one spectacular game while Lin has been solid throughout three, so I'd say Lin has had a bigger impact. Doesn't matter anyways cause I don't see either as our 3rd star. We have 2 stars and a bunch of really good role players.

3. RoxD

RoxD Member

You are perfectly right here.
    If a player plays consistent in every game, he is definitely not an x-factor, by definition. :)
    When you say Howard, Harden and Parsons are x-factors, you are implying that they have not been playing consistently. :grin:

4. highlander3128

Uh oh! You just increased the hit rates of this thread. :p

5. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Houston fans just plain don't like Lin, huh? Can't even get credit when credit is due. Never have I seen a forum where people have to apologize to being a fan of a player. "I like Lin, but...." "I'm not a LOF...."

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

To me what's important is that any number of players (Howard, Harden, parsons, Lin) can be aggressive in creating their own offense if the defense gives them room. The key is remaining aggressive and ready when the defense focuses on the other players. If they wait for Howard or harden to create on their own and the ball sticks then our offense blows. Any one of these guys has to always keep themselves mentally in the game to step up their aggression at any point in time.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

All I am saying is he didn`t have that one exceptional game yet. He was good in every game, just not exceptional. Nothing wrong with that. He had exceptional games for the Rockets in the past and he will have exceptional games for the Rockets in the future. Just in the first 3 games 3 other players had exceptional games.

Listen guys, I am not saying: here we have our 3 stars everybody else is garbage. Actually I don`t consider PArsons a star and don`t thikn he will ever become a real star. All I am saying is our 3 poster boys (and Parsons definetly was one of them, playing in scrimmages for the national team and getting all the media attention as a Dwight recruiter) all have had an exceptional game (while at least one other didn´t) so far that helped us win. Not ranking players, not trying to create a controversy - just celebretating the fact that we are not dependend on one star and not even necessarily on two, but we have at least 3 players that can step up at any time not even counting Lin, Garcia, Beverly and Asik.

No controversy here - no hidden agenda.

#27 LikeMike, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  8. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Agreed.

9. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Good god, let's all stop being so sensitive. I know what OP meant, and he has a point. Parsons was man of the match (as they say in soccer games) against Utah.

10. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Oh!!! You just HAD TO GO THERE!!!

11. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

It's because he does not look like an nba player. I think that's why they say that.

12. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

You have to be the top in your category to be considered a superstar. Harden is one of the best shooting guards and Howard is the best center in the game.

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Parsons had a good half game over the course of 3 games, and suddenly he's our 3rd star.

He certainly has the potential, but so far he's proven nothing. We talking about a sample of 3 games and he only played well for half of the game.

14. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Parsons is so damn overrated. The dude is just a good complementary player. He ain't no 3rd star.

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Love Parsons. Hope yesterday snaps him out of the little funk he's in as I know he's capable.

16. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Since games are usually won in the 4Q, I'd say Harden and Howard usually closes us out. Last night, it was both Parsons and Lin who stepped up and played that role, nicely too. Of course, along with Harden and Howard. My point is, as long as any of these 2 (include Garcia & Casspi in that group) play well in the 4th, we should be fine.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Jesus... I haven`t called Parsons a star and I don`t expect him to ever become one. He is a great complimentary player. I was just calling him one of our poster boys after all the media attention he got. He showed up big time in the game against Utah (not just the first half). He is no star - I don`t even know if he is our 3d best player. But he definetly is in the conversation for our d best player.

Oh and the sample size wouldn`t be the 3 games this season, but his track record in Houston so far. You could argue he was our 2nd best player last season (again, Lin and Asik would have somethine to say about that as well).

We have 2 stars, 4 starting calibre great role players (Lin, Asik, PArsons, Beverly) and 2 great bench weapons (Garcia, Casspi) - add to that some young talent and some nice insurrance. Don´t get worked up about Parsons being a star or who is better Lin or Parsons (again, Asik should be in that conversation as well) - we have several players that can take over games and we are not overly dependend on our 2 big stars, at least this early in the season, that`s all I´ve been saying. When has this place become so hostile? Especially after a 3-0 start?

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Damn the LOFs are a touchy bunch aren't they. Excuse Clutchfans for not making every thread about Lin.

19. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I wonder if Parsons' halves vs the Jazz were reversed would it change the response he is getting. Instead of Rockets sucking the first half and Parsons keeping them within striking distance, it's Parsons coming on strong holding the Jazz at bay while the rest of the team stunk it up...

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Two stars.
    Several great role players.
    A few works in progress.

ETA: I do think it's incredibly premature to write Chandler off as mediocre/overrated. He had a slow start last season too, but I don't think you can discount the enormous impact he had once he got rolling.