1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just An Absolutely Terrible Win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You probably don't realize that the people flaming you are probably 13 years old.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Sigh, sometimes I forget smh The ISO thing has been bothering me a while now. The 2nd quarter was just atrocious though from a coaching point. How can Sampson think having 4 teammates camped out on the perimeter and being observers instead of actually playing is a good thing for their development? :confused: Bad habits get formed like that. Brandon Jennings and the Milwaukee Bucks, Agent Zero and the Wiz, hell Tyreke Evans and the Kings. All "volume scorers" with way too much freedom to ISO. Is this what we really want to become?

3. stefanb

stefanb Member

Disguised as a "LIN NEEDS THE BALL MORE" thread or a really elaborate sarcastic thread which I can't decipher on the internet.

4. nono

nono Member

This is a good thread actually. But maybe saying it too soon after a win and in the manner you have ("absolutely terrible") is not right. I actually think Kelvin Sampson is just a terrible coach. Today we were raining three pointers on the Knicks and we aren't really a good 3 point shooting team. This kind of play will hurt us more often than not. The same complaints that were here the last 8 games still remain. There is not enough off the ball movement, set plays etc and too much iso.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am not worried about the coaching of this team - I already know it sucks and is easily replaced. In fact, it's better if it sucks now because we get a better draft pick.

What's weird is that we won, and that we beat Chicago, and we are this competitive overall with the coaching we have.

It is interesting

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I constantly get tempted to think that if we got Pau Gasol, we'd be a 50 win team but I know we'd be a 4 seed at best :( Honestly, had we kept Scola, we'd probably be a 45 win team at minimum. Sigh, as a fan you always say you'd rather rebuild than get stuck in mediocrity but then when you actually see a 30 win team playing it out in front of your eyes, gahhhhh I don't know how the Knicks got such a lofty record...maybe they were tried from Dallas and the Spurs, but damn they looked 2 gears slower than us tonight.

7. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

There's nothing wrong with iso plays if it is working. Also, this is the game that stern set up. Superstars get the spotlight. If you don't have one, Joey Crawford whistles you for a foul before you get on the court.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

9. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Of course ISO plays are bad for the team. Look at the Lakers tonight. Kobe took 23 shots and no other starters took more than 9. ISO plays took ball movement out of the offense. Even on a last second shot, ISOs rarely worked out.

The last thing we need on this team is a volume shooter like Kobe or Melo.

10. ribbit

ribbit Member

What?! Terrible win against a top contender (so far)??? This was a good win. I agree that Harden iso too much on other games, but if you have to use iso, this was the game to use it...against an aging Kidd. A terrible win is, Harden and Parsons scoring 30+ points, and winning the game by 1 point.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Knicks have been playing over their heads as a team, and the Rockets have been underachieving (positive point differential now). The two teams are actually much closer in talent level than most people think, and we had home court advantage.

This is NOT a thirty win Rockets team. No freaking way. This is a .500ish team. It's the best of both worlds, we got our superstar, we got young guys with potential, and we get to be a decent team at the same time.

We're honestly only 1-3 years away from contention. Feels good man :cool:

12. gsmiths_s

gsmiths_s Member

+1

:rolleyes:

13. alethios

alethios Member

Do you have a pulse?

LOL, I'm kidding - I find that stagnant offense (saw enough of that with TMac) to be maddening sometimes too, but you picked a bad game to complain about it.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

" it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile winning is winning"

- Dom Torreto

15. ketchupNmustard

This man has never heard of the "harden offense"

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This team is a long ways from 50 wins, and by that i don't mean years, but i mean growth.

I think we are missing a strong big man inside with an offensive game, and I do think Lin is still recovering from his surgery. His game will come back for sure.

But a losing season is what this team needs. A strong draft pick and a free agent signing could be enough to push us to contender status considering wade is a few years from beginning his decline if not already.

A 30 win season isn't that painful - to me a 42 win season is far far more painful and we have had lots of those. In the NBA, you don't want to win 31- 46 games - that's no man lands and a recipe of going no where....and right we are.

But it's still early. 13 games in only tells us that we have 69 more to play.

17. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Yeah beating the NBAs best record team by 20 sure was terrible and the thing you said doesn't matter HELLLO YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

18. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I think it was a great win, which was a combination of our guys being really fired up to make a point against the Knicks with all their smack talk and with the Knicks showing their age after two games on the road. They just didn't have the energy on defense at all whereas our guys were all hustle.

The one thing I noticed that the Knicks did a lot better than us in the first half was the amount of screens. Our guys were getting hit with them again and again. But Lin was on crack today and fought through them really well to keep Felton in check.

I do think our offense needs more structure and set plays to be less predictable but that's going to take time and probably a new coach.

By the way, the knicks themselves are a good example of why superstar solo ISO is fail. Melo got his tonight and their team still got trashed by 20+. But that's Melo, as long as he gets his, he doesn't care.

19. OpportunityCost

Totally agree with you. Playground, YMCA ball. It's just a stupid, self-defeating, wing-it "strategy" :(

20. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

WHO THE HE&& is this OP, and what is he talking about....Harden shot 16-16 from the Line...so we used to complain about ISO with Tmac, and his Dumbness taking a 21 foot jump shot, now we complain that a guy scores 33 and got to shoot 16 FTs bc he drives, and gets fouled....and didn't get nearly the calls he should have. Like usual, many calls are missed....Harden had a DWade game from 2006 Finals at the line man....SMH OP-HORRIBLE THREAD

I RATE THIS THREAD -10 Stars, and neg rep as well