1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Junior Seau shot dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

And by the way, I deal with psychiatric patients constantly...I also do work at retirement homes where the people there are so out of their minds with an inability to think properly, that its scary. The symptoms from head trauma are the same exact symptoms these people deal with. The only issue for football players is that they may get it at the age of 50 instead of 75.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The ex pros that are dropping like flies sure didn't get that luxury. That's what this is about. Preventing head trauma. If the sport needs to evolve so as to help improve the quality of life and cognitive function of it's ex players then why are you so opposed to that? As a health care professional it seems like that would be something you would champion.:confused:

#162 REEKO_HTOWN, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

4. rezdawg

No, Im not opposed to improving the safety of the players...but there is only so much you can do before you turn football into another sport. Thats the reality of the situation.

The topic of head trauma and suicide or two different things.

Suicide happens in every sport at a rate higher than the general public. Like I stated, 5 baseball players killed themselves within the last 3 years. Just as many or more soccer players kill themselves during their playing careers compared to NFL players. There is much more to the story than head trauma.

The sport of football is rough, vicious, and brutal. Thats the unfortunate reality of the sport. Plenty of improvements are being made with the material and design of helmets. But, there is only so many changes that can be made to the rules of football before we have to start calling football a different name.

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

You're a ****ing idiot. Just because you "refuse to pity him" doesen't mean you should mock him.

Junior's probably twice the human being you'll ever be, he was an icon for the people in San Diego & you're a disrespectful ingrate piece of ****. I actually hope clutch gives me a timeout for a little because sometimes i can't deal with the ignorance on this board.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Sigh, why is ignorance so prevalent in society??

By the way, watching his mom breakdown in front of the media was incredibly tough to watch. I kinda wish ESPN had not aired that.....that was an incredibly private moment that was unfortunately caught on camera.

7. mclawson

mclawson Member

You can always give yourself a timeout, you know. If it was you that gave me the feedback, you'll be happy to know it was changed to negative rep and a positive rep from the same post was deleted. I love that someone cussed me out in a rep and it ended up being negative for me.

Now, before you get too rabid, when I was 19 one of my best friends from high school called his mom and said goodbye and jumped off of a building. He landed about 10 feet from me. I can still hear the sickening thud of him landing. A few of us had tried to get him help. He refused. His mother followed his lead a month later, but used pills. Her 12 year old daughter found her lying in a pool of vomit.

When I was a junior in college, my girlfriend of a year and a half shot herself in the head. She left a note explaining her reasons, addressed to me, sitting on the bedside table next to her. She was pregnant and couldn't handle the thought of being a mother so she took both lives in a heartbeat. I can still see her body lying in the bed we shared.

I don't care how great a person he was. What he did to those he left behind is terrible.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ holy **** man, that's messed up that you've been so close to 3 suicides. crazy, and no doubt provides you a different perspective.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

First off, sorry you've been through all that. But from what you know of these people, were they typically selfish people? I understand that those who are left behind are forced to suffer a sorrow no one ever should, but most times, I think those who take this course of action realize that, but they still cannot fathom going on. It's a terrible situation for everyone involved, but I just can't bring myself to be mad at those who make this decision. I can't imagine what must be going through someone's head who really contemplates and/or ultimately goes through with this type of action.

:(

10. REEKO_HTOWN

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

One of the most ignorant things you can do is make judgments without having been inside of somebody else's mind.

You can't know, you don't know, and to suggest anything otherwise is just plain stupid.

12. rezdawg

Head trauma can be the cause of everything that has to do with the nervous system.

Even running can cause trauma and disease to the brain.

13. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I'm sorry that this happened, but would you mock THEIR deaths and say things like "point blank" range and facing the "shotgun"? I'm not in your head, but it seems like you'd be one of the last one to mock someone's death, especially if it were suicide.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

You sound like a Big Tobacco rep. I guess this is all propaganda and you don't want to lose hard hitting football. Go watch the 3rd part of the video with Steve Smith crying and come back.

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Sounds like your friend jumped to a conclusion... Too soon?

2 people like this.
  16. rezdawg

Lol, I have no clue how you're misrepresenting everything I say...I was agreeing with your video...and also adding to it a point that shows how tender our brains are.

I make a comment because you guys keep putting up videos about how head trauma leads to various brain and nervous system diseases. Thats the most obvious thing ever. Its like showing videos of unfed children and saying, "See, theyve lost weight!".

Its a terrible ****ing thing. I dont get why you think Im sitting here enjoying people having their brains traumatized. Not once in this thread have I made any comment about football players needing to toughen up, or made any remark that downplays the disaster of brain damage. My only comments have been in regards to brain damage and suicide. But yes, brain damage sucks and that is something that many football players and athletes are forced to deal with and its something that will affect the rest of their lives. I dont know what you expect me to say or do. You're pointing a finger at me while sitting on a computer...stop wasting our time here and get yourself out there to help stop the violence in football, since that's apparently what you're expecting out of me.

17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

[​IMG]

18. Asian Sensation

Zing.

19. mclawson

mclawson Member

Not at all too soon. That is exactly how I dealt with it (and still deal with it). He was in school at the time working towards being a doctor ultimately and all I could think about for the longest time was how sure his friends and family were that he'd make a big impact some day. We just got the details wrong. We all deal with things differently. I head in the direction of dark humor, so I can appreciate your comment. It may sounds heartless, but when you've seen the effects of it up close and personal you develop coping mechanisms.

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

That's why I don't jump into these discussions. Some people can't stop themselves from making assumptions and make them concrete in their minds.

I don't know what went through Seau's mind. How tormented or not he was. How would I know? Maybe he was upset over his coffee being too hot and pulled the trigger. Or maybe he had emotions and thoughts I could not fathom, and are too abstract for me to comprehend unless I reach that point myself.

I think it's presumptuous and a bit arrogant to assume you know the entire range of emotions and/or would deal with them all with a rational mind. On a more positive example, some say you won't understand the joy of your child being born or being a parent until it actually happens to you. I think that's proven as most parents say it never matched what they envisioned.