1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Junior Seau shot dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MONON

MONON Member

I think he was referring to maybe a possible chemical imbalance in his brain as opposed the brain injuries per se.

Either way, it's a sad day when someone young thinks death is the only way out. He's the same age as my eldest son.

2. Major

Major Member

This isn't necessarily true. Dave Duerson did the same thing a year or two ago and the research after the fact DID show a degenerative brain disease that's been linked to concussions. He was a bit older (50 vs 43) but not that much so. If there are signs of it in Seau, the NFL's situation is going to get much trickier.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly what I was referring to when I said that the bigger effect might be from the change in player's psychology.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I believe Bobby Ross's ex-wife also offed herself shortly before the Super Bowl. I think they made some kind of long-term deal with the devil to make the Oilers and Bills breakdown in the same year, and have that amazing Steelers team choke. You can't play pro football, live in San Diego year 'round and win a championship, that's just too much good fortune.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Quite sad. RIP Junior

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Is it a higher rate for the population including women? Or higher rate for MALES? Cuz suicide rates are 4x higher for males than women PERIOD.

Since there are more males in the military and sports, anything male dominated will naturally be above a population average.

Though I don't doubt for one second that football suicide rates would be way higher.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If football isn't for you - don't play ...If you want to play and earn cash, realize there are risks and and accept or move on

9. Relentless

Relentless Member

The NFL pays men millions. The men who chase that goal of the NFL deal with a lifetime of injuries and risks. The ultimate payoff is the NFL. Not For Long as we all know. These men risk their health and know what they're getting into. Obviously, or they wouldn't devote their life to the game.

The NFL should not be held accountable.,

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The more unpopular full contact football becomes, the more parent organizations and such will push to ban it from even being played in the school level. Maybe not in Texas, but liberal states like Oregon and such. Hello flag football school "rivalries" and state championships barely more popular than lacrosse.

I myself don't think "progressivity" = "pure risk sanitation". Sitting around writing a bunch of sonnets. But thats where people want to go...

11. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

where? on ESPN?

12. Asian Sensation

Yea dude that was sad as hell. I actually cried watching that. First time I remember doing that in quite some time.

13. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Sad.

My initial reaction when they said his girlfriend found him was that a crazy one got him.(Steve McNair) But I guess they had all the evidence to rule suicide.

I'm not sure how the NFL fixes this without drastically changing the game. I do think the Kickoff days are numbered other than that just more awareness on on head injuries and I think the NFL is doing a good job on that.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If that's how they got the nickname "The Bolts", that's pretty distasteful.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I don't know if you're trying to be funny... but you should stop.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then the sport in general should be considered inhumaine and changed or terminated.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

18. Relentless

Relentless Member

No. There's plenty of jobs/careers that involve a health/life risk. Some people aspire to be the best at this said job.

And don't make millions.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I don't see this. Seau played football for 20+ years. High School kids play 4-8 years? If 20-30 year olds start killing themselves and its being traced to high school football than ya there might be a movement.

Stuff like this will bring more awareness to concussions to all levels. I played high school football in the early 2000's. Right about that time kids were passing out dead in the heat across the country basically being worked out to death with no water. Water breaks used to be whenever coaches wanted to take a break after that you get water anytime you need to.

Concussions weren't really even a concern. I bet that is totally different these days.

20. mclawson

mclawson Member

Poor guy never was good against the shotgun.

Too soon?