1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Junior Seau shot dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have thought for a long time that the NFL should do away with rigid shoulder pads and helmets. I think this would diminish the level of head trauma and other injuries, in a couple of ways. First, there is just less of an impact when two semi-soft objects come into contact. However, maybe the bigger effect will be from the change in player's psychology. If you've played organized football, you know that the equipment is like armor. You feel invincible with that hard helmet and shoulder pads on. This makes it much more likely to hit and tackle with maximum force, often leading with your head. If players were wearing soft shoulder pads and a semi-soft helmet, I think they would naturally dial down the intensity of their hits.

1 person likes this.
  2. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Ok did anyone else find Espinoza airing his mother speaking in bad taste? It was difficult to watch kinda wished the cut away. RIP to one of the all-time greats. Very sad day for football

3. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Espn stupid auto correct

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Creepy reading this...

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've heard it said playing linebacker in the NFL for one game is equivalent to being in a car crash. Football as we know it is going to change.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

R.I.P. Mr. Junior Seau. :( Que En Paz Descanse.

He was one of the defensive players I know was most feared and also most respected by others. I truly enjoyed seeing him play.

Most of his opponents did say "ow!".

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

just an fyi... suicide rate post iraq/afgahn wars is twice the national average compared to ex-nfl which is 6 times the national average. prior to the wars ex-military was below the national average.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're not alone in thinking this.

Pads should be there to protect defenseless or exposed players, not enable the contact makers.

10. yo

yo Contributing Member

:eek: What on earth? Were those performing CPR hurt too? Can't be chance that he was struck twice? Was he carrying around a metal pole or something?

11. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

This is sad. Pray for comfort for his family.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's so many things in the world that the "average" person has to encounter on a day to day basis that are way harder than the above.

What I find ridiculous is the current players complaining about punishments the commissioner hands down as a result of things like bountygate, or late hits, or those same players complaining about or bemoaning the changes in rules to make the game "softer". I mean, I guess it's an ok position to take, but don't be complaining after your career is over about health issues and the like.

Wasn't there an o-lineman from the Chargers that just decided to retire even though he was medically cleared to play after he suffered a concussion and ensuing seizure, citing concerns about long-term brain damage?

I love football, and love watching the hard hits, etc. But my wife and I already decided we just aren't going to let our sons play. I understand its not as violent at the lower levels, and I understand we're not talking about a majority of kids/players, and i understand they could play basketball or another sport and suffer similarly violent injuries, but the probabilities aren't nearly as high there and the idea this just seems like a no brainer to me as a parent.

13. SunsRocketsfan

very sad news.. I met Seau twice. Once at his restraunt in San Diego and once at a charity event. He genuinely seemed like a nice guy who was always smiling and willing to meet and greet fans.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

Agreed. The NFL should be very concerned about this.

RIP Junior

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

ok, and what about the select few who are still crazy and/or juiced up who don't dial down the intensity of their hits? that's instant death to somebody on the field. i'd put the over/under on that happening to within 2 weeks of implementation.

16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

If true, this explains why he shot himself in the chest.

I'm in disbelief, he was one of favorite players of all time. He was always in Chargers training camp teaching the young guns, he was a sweet, genuinely nice guy.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, folks.

17. conquistador#11

RIP one of my favorite defensive players that i loved watching when I started watching football in the early 90s.

As to his death, I'm not going to pretend that concussions are not a big deal. But it could also be that athletes are more than assets, that they suffer from depression like anyone else.
    For some, football is all they know, once their career is over they have a difficult time adjusting. I mean the most concussed qbs like aikman and young have not attempted to go off the road. But both are still involved in the game in one way or another. I just think that It all adds up...life after football, depression, girl problems and having to pop 30 pills a day just to get out of bed like ex jets, ray lucas.

From a personal experience, after chemo treatment years ago, I went into a depression where I didn't go outside for three months straight. Depression is scary. But I also racked a lot of posts on cf so that was good. =)

how the game is going to change now? They were already suggesting getting rid of kick returns all together. I can see that gone and punt returns too.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mommas don't let your babies grow up to play football

19. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed... the NFL has to change. Can you imagine the lawsuits they will be looking at from 1000's of former players? They have to change the game to make it harder for players to hit as hard as they do. I think you will see slow but consistent changes in the rules... and ultimately as the rules change, you will see what type of player excells in the NFL change...

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

His brain wont show anything, unfortunately.

If there are problems that result from traumatic head injuries, they will take place many, many years after the fact. Shouldnt affect someone like Seau, at least not now. There have been many studies that show no correlation between head injuries and suicide.

I think for Seau, life without football was too hard to take...and I feel like him wanting to donate his brain for research (if true), is just a cop out to put the blame on something else.

Sad news.