1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Julio Lugo arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, May 1, 2003.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

"dang he's good"??? He may be the Astros current best option at short, but he is average, at best.

I admire the Astros and any organization/company that deal properly with employees for domestic assaults. I would suspect this is not a knee-jerk reaction on their part.

According to Lugo's wife, this is not the first time it has happened.

lnchan likes this.
  2. codell

codell Contributing Member

According to the police reports, this wasn't the first time Lugo has been involved in a domestic assault??? :confused:

3. Timing

Timing Member

Looks like Lugo's going to sign with the Devil Rays. That didn't take too long.

Rays to sign Lugo
    By Paul C. Smith / MLB.com

TORONTO -- With Rey Ordonez on the DL and expected to be out at least another 3-4 weeks, the Devil Rays are about to sign infielder Julio Lugo.
    "We are in the process of trying to finalize a deal with Julio Lugo and hopefully will have an announcement tomorrow," general manager Chuck LaMar said after the Rays' 7-6 loss to Toronto on Wednesday night.

Lugo was released by the Astros last week and cleared waivers on Tuesday. He is expected to join the Rays on Friday in Baltimore.

"We like his ability," Lou Piniella said. "He's played shortstop on some good Houston teams. He's got a little power and speed. If we do sign him, we can use him in different situations. Ordonez is going to be out a while."

Lugo faces a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Houston.

"Everybody makes mistakes," Piniella said. "You learn from mistakes and you move forward. At the same time, we're trying to improve this baseball team. I don't think there's anyone walking the streets who doesn't regret a few things they have done, including myself.

"I've got no problems with players who have had problems. As long as you learn from them and don't repeat them, I've got no problems."

Lugo will be the 36th player to play for the Rays this season.

Ordonez had started the season making play after impressive play at shortstop, and adding surprising production at the plate. But he suffered a sprained knee two weeks ago, which the team said is an aggravation of an old injury. He went on the DL on Friday.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The DEVIL RAYS?!?! He's better off in prison...

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

fox 26. berman had an exclusive interview with him this morning... the devil rays have given lugo the starting job...

also it looks like his wife is asking that the charges be dropped.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

7. lnchan

Sigh

8. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

why did you bump this?

9. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

No reason to bump this. What purpose did this serve? You’ve got an odd habit for doing that

marks0223 likes this.
  10. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

It is obvious yet at the same time not obvious why this has been bumped.

lnchan likes this.
  11. raining threes

BTW, I think it was later proven Lugo didn't hit his wife.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was he was proven innocent! I think they found out she made the whole thing up

Houstunna and raining threes like this.
  13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Absolutely ridiculous this thread was bumped.

14. raining threes

Why?

Lugo was innocent

The point is sometimes you gotta let these things play out before passing judgement.

vince likes this.
  15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Because it is from 2003 and no one is going to go back and read all the posts. I think a simple link to the news article saying Lugo was innocent and a couple sentences in the 25 page Osuna thread saying "We should wait for these things to play out before passing judgement as shown by the Lugo case" would have sufficed.

Plus, it's a bad comparison - it's quite obvious Osuna is guilty of at least putting his hands on her. To what degree we don't know of course but the guy wouldn't be apologizing and Lunhow wouldn't be saying the things he's been saying if there was a belief that he was 100% innocent.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You even bumped this in the Texans thread...

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm confused as to what side of his Inchan is even on......

Word of advice: Instead of simply bumping a 15 year old thread and not elaborating, it's better to use your words and enlighten us as to what you're actually thinking.

18. lnchan

Fine then.

There were actual injuries. There was an actual sworn statement. There was an actual restraining order. There were accusations that this was a repeat occurrence. There was even a divorce filing.

It is not unusual for the victim of domestic violence to change their stories, refuse to press charges, or to even blame themselves. I am a firm believer in due process, but the emotional (and economic) complications make these type of cases really difficult to process. I have faith that the Astros organization back then did their due diligence before putting a black mark on one of their player's careers. This incident also happened on their property. Even some behavior that end up not found to be criminal in the court of law can still be unacceptable, eespecially in the eyes of an employer. For example, I might as well touch a nerve here, but Warren Moon was never found guilty of domestic violence, as his ex-wife claimed in court she initiated the violence. I used to be a big Warren Moon fan, but I would not find it acceptable if the Texans hire him in any capacity because there is too much evidence suggesting sexual harassment and domestic violence in his history.

The Hunted likes this.
  19. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I think we're just arguing that there was no need to bump a 15 year old thread and cluttere the main page. All of the above points, while very eloquent and well-said, could just as easily be posted in the very active Osuna thread.

20. lnchan

On a much lighter note, I rather have an old post bumped (as long as it is not an injury-related thread) than people complaining of a new thread starting.