1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Julio Lugo arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, May 1, 2003.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Good point, Codell.

Many times in these situations, emotionally distraught women exaggerate or even outright lie about things that have happened. This happened to me (to a lesser degree) once while working in New York. My secretary at the time was a completely obnoxious, loud-mouthed, negative woman from the Bronx. In almost every interaction I had with her, she raised her voice and acted as though I had insulted her mother. I showed remarkable restraint by demonstrating patience in the face of her hostility. The one time I even remotely expressed frustration with her, she runs to my boss and accuses me of "raising my voice". I was outraged. She was later fired, much to my delight (although I wish her young children the best). The point here is this: when put in emotionally challenging situations, women have a tendency to overreact and show poor judgment. Let's let the facts come out in this case before casting judgment against Julio Lugo. I would be offended if the allegations turned out to be true, but we have a judicial system which will sort that out.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wins will help attendance, more losses will hurt. Lugo is a side issue.

Side from baseball, that is. I agree the owner and the team as well as Lugo's teammates need to support him. He is 'innocent', forheaven'ssake, until proven etc etc.

I would hope that Lugo is given all the help possible to deal with this.

That said, I hope the owner and the team support Mrs Lugo, as well. This is a terrible allegation, simply terrible.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That is the most prejudiced thing I have ever seen you write on this board. Maybe the man overreacted by slamming her head into a truck. But I know, its just another case of the victim not taking responsibility. She must have not known it was her responsibility to slam her head into the truck. What a slacker. Julio was only trying to help.:rolleyes:

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

No they haven't....yet. I believe that is what the posters on the website BBS are calling for.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

I don't believe it for a second. No way they release him without due process. The MLBPA would be all over the Astros if this were so.

Now, if and when he is convicted, then I would not be suprised to see that happen.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Unfortunately, Lugo isnt Iverson.

Slamming her head against the truck?? Crap, that sucks. Punk azz beyatch.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is true, it definitely closes the book on Lugo. As if Houstonians needed another reason to dislike this guy outside of his play on the field and at the plate. What a terrible season this is...I hope Julio's wife is okay.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, then the Astros can say they are releasing him because he can't hit and can't field...

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

He could be out on bond. There's already a restraining order against him getting near his wife. If he violates that, he will be held in contempt of court and be prosecuted for a separate offense.

10. RocketMan Tex

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

We just traded Lugo for Tejada.

I wish.

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

The Astros break there silence

Houston Astros statement on domestic violence
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Astros organization is acutely aware of the issues surrounding domestic violence and we completely support the steps necessary to deal with it. We disapprove of any violence -- it is unacceptable. We are a family game with family values. The Astros family represents honesty, integrity and family values. We have no tolerance or acceptance for anything outside those values.

The Astros wives and the team have supported the Houston Area Women's Center, an organization that works with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. This is the 14th year the Astros wives have organized their annual fundraiser, netting more than $1 million over the 14 years. The Astros wives have been leaders in the community in their efforts to raise awareness of domestic violence issues.

Astros President of Business Operations, Pam Gardner, is active on the Board of Directors of the Houston Area Women's Center.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pic of Lug being released

[​IMG]

13. RocketMan Tex

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The last sentence says he was designated for assignment. Does that mean he is still part of the Astros organization but just not part of the major league club?

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

So there's a chance that Lugo could end up back on the team? I don't think that the fans would be too happy with having a wife-beating SS on the field. This may be Adam Everett's last chance to prove himself.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Didn't we trade for Lugo's brother, a pitcher? Damn now we have Wife Beater II on the team.

17. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

"Designated for assignment" meaning minor leagues. He needed the work anyway. Maybe he can work on his anger:

[​IMG]

#37 Mr. Mooch, May 1, 2003
    Last edited: May 1, 2003
  18. RocketMan Tex

"Designated for Assignment" means that they will offer him a minor-league spot. If he refuses it, he is released.

IMHO, there is a 99.9% chance Lugo will refuse it and be granted his unconditional release, making him an instant free agent. I wonder if another MLB club will take the chance.

19. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Even though it states designated, this scum bag is as good as gone. The guys on the team let alone the city of Houston won't want him on the team.

20. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

There is no way this guy ever puts on an Astros uniform again. they would not have gone through the trouble of saying that he is off the team and disposing of his contract if he was just going to the minors for a while. he's done!