1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Journey, Yes, ELO and Pearl Jam Elected Into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Dec 21, 2016.

1. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

That'd be nice, wouldn't it?

The HOF is just recently taking notice of prog-rock and Hip-hop acts, which is great, but it's got a long way to go to honoring electronic and darker contributions to this wild new thing we call Rock N' Roll. The Cure, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, and Joy Division (Nirvana got in, why not?) would be a great start. They also don't seem to like harder rock (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer). Trent seems to fall under both those categories.

That said, the Rez has been significant in Rock music and has commercial success, so it'd be a joke if they continue to shaft him. I wonder if he'd turn it down like the Sex Pistols did. Probably not.

That reminds me...Radiohead maybe? I could see Thom telling them to **** off. :)

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  2. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

That's hilarious. Mookie Blaylock, I mean, Pearl Jam ripped off Mother Love Bone and you know it. And I love Cheddy Vedder.

3. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

I know my post may wreak of sour grapes a little, but Soundgarden was the first band to be noticed and signed by a major record label. Eyeballs weren't on the scene before then and who knows what would have happened if there wasn't early buzz there from record execs looking for something new?

I know what you're saying though-when you heard "Smells like Teen Spirit" back then it was a revelation. And PJ's Ten is a stunning debut album. I'm just a little angry because when I heard this as a kid it was also a revelation- and Chris and Co. didn't go mainstream until the next album.

So yeah, to paraphrase Cobain, Corporate Rock still sucks!

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I always thought they ripped off Neil Young.

5. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Yeah, good call, I was just kidding w/ Nook. Everything old is new again and all that. As much as I defend Soundgarden, you can actually hear a strong Beatles influence on Superunknown if you listen. Both bands still carved out unique sounds and have damn fine discographies, IMO.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don't care about all this mumbo jumbo.

Just came here to say.

Smashing Pumpkins > Pearl Jam.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Really the Replacements and Pixies deserve more credit in terms of influence than these Seattle bands do, IMO. And I'll keep waiting and waiting and waiting til the Black Crowes get their shout...

FranchiseBlade and VooDooPope like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, Perry singing with Journey, Lee performing with Yes, Pearl Jam acknowledging all of their drummers, ELO.... I actually can't wait to see this!

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The fact YES hasn't been in for a decade is a Travshamockery.

Yaosthirdleg and ROXTXIA like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm glad Steve Perry will sing one or two with the band. And a little apprehensive. I want him to do well.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No sure if SRS, but if so, don't post a picture of Dr. Zaius playing a keytar in defense of that take, okay?

VooDooPope likes this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Journey does not belong in the hall. Journey sucks.

That is all.

RocketWalta, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So I remember hearing that Perry stopped singing because he had those nodes on his vocal cords. I saw the video of him singing a few years ago and he sounded pretty good -- did he have surgery or something to fix the problem?

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

100% Serious!

I'll not judge a great old keyboardist still rocking his fabulous cape he's been jamming out in for the past 45 years.

I've seen Yes near a dozen times over the years and it's been great every time.

The other photo I posted was a show where Yes were playing three classic albums a night: The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One in full from beginning to end.

Always a great show. Hall of fame worthy for sure.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

So I guess the induction was last night. Some weird guy in a beard tied up Neil Young and inducted Pearl Jam instead. Some say that the great Stephen Colbert stole this guys job but I don't believe it.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's Dusty Hill from ZZ Top.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  17. B-Bob

Yeah, I was just kidding b/c keytars are pretty funny. But I love YES, and they were my first big rock concert as a kid; it was incredible and kind of set the bar for those experiences, in terms of sounding different and much better than just listening to their album at home. :)

VooDooPope likes this.
  18. B-Bob

Yeah, he's sung a couple of times in the 7th inning stretch or whatever in the SF Giants' playoff runs, but I don't know if it's more that he had some kind of procedure, or time healed the condition a bit, or if it's more that he can't tour rigorously versus a one-off 1-minute of singing to a bunch of drunk baseball fans.

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Keytars are funny especially when played by an old guy in the cape. I'm sure it was cooler in 1971 but wakeman's still rockin it all these years later.

Too bad Chris Squire passed away before they were inducted. RIP

20. what

what Member

Steve Perry sucks. Nobody wants to here his cat strangling voice. If it wasn't for arnel I might want to here him.