1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Journalist Arrested for Tweets Gets Deported to Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 14, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The Islamo-Fascists are at it again:

[​IMG]

Hamza Kashgari, the twenty-three-year-old Saudi blogger whose controversial tweets about the Prophet Muhammed last weekend incited controversy among religious conservatives in the Middle East, has been returned to Saudi Arabia at the request of the Saudi government.

He was detained by authorities at Kuala Lumpr International Airport Thursday morning while attempting to catch a flight to seek asylum in New Zealand.

Malaysia has defended its actions despite protestations from international rights groups, which fear that Kashgari will face the death penalty for blasphemy in his home country.

“I will not allow Malaysia to be seen as a safe country for terrorists and those who are wanted by their countries of origin, and also be seen as a transit county,” Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said in a statement recorded by the AP. He added that fears Kashgari could be tortured and killed if he was returned are “ridiculous” because Saudi Arabia is a respectable country.

The Saudi government has not yet disclosed any details about where and in what context Kashgari is being held, nor whether he will face trial.

“The cold hard truth is that Malaysia has bent over backwards to please Saudi Arabia, breached international law by not allowing Hamza to seek asylum and instead handed him on a silver platter to his persecutors and condemned him to torture and near certain death,” international human rights group Lawyers of Liberty said in a statement posted on its website.

Kashgari, a former columnist for the Al Bilad newspaper and a blogger, sent a series of tweets commemorating the Prophet Muhammed’s birthday the weekend before last. “On your birthday, I shall not bow to you. I shall not kiss your hand. Rather, I shall shake it as equals do, and smile at you as you smile at me. I shall speak to you as a friend, no more,” were among the tweets he sent.

Angry comments erupted on Twitter — more than 30,000 in under 24 hours, says Reuters — and a Facebook page titled “Saudi people want punishment for Hamza Kashgari” now has more than 20,000 members.

Kashgari deleted the tweets six hours later and issued a long apology. He left Saudi Arabia early last week, fearing for his safety after his address was posted on YouTube, the Wall Street Journal reported.

In an interview with Reuters, Saudi lawyer Sulaiman al-Jomaii said Kashgari is certain to face harsh punishment, but will likely escape the death penalty if he repents in court.

“His case is dependent on his repentance. If he repents (in court) then it will be as if he has not committed a crime and there is no Saudi law that details a punishment for his offense if he repents,” Jomaii said.

Kashgari already defended his actions in an interview with The Daily Beast before his arrest, saying, “I was demanding my right to practice the most basic human rights — freedom of expression and thought — so nothing was done in vain.”

http://mashable.com/2012/02/13/saudi-journalist-returned-saudi-arabia/

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

[Accepting the Islamic-certified qualities attributed to God, "omniscience , omnipotence, omnipresence, omnibenevolence, divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence" (Wiki).]

Reading the FB group about thousands calling for the man's execution leaves one feeling disgusted, regardless if you're Muslim or not.

This notion of human beings protecting the honor of God or one of his prophets from comments/cartoons that are anything but unctuous is laughable.

Some translated passages from the Quran:

[29:6] Those who strive, strive for their own good. God is in no need for anyone.

[5:48] And We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. So judge between them by what Allah has revealed and do not follow their inclinations away from what has come to you of the truth. To each of you We prescribed a law and a method. Had Allah willed, He would have made you one nation [united in religion], but [He intended] to test you in what He has given you; so race to [all that is] good. To Allah is your return all together, and He will [then] inform you concerning that over which you used to differ.

In an ideal world, the US and other Western countries would publicly call on Saudi Arbaia to release the man or else. But that isn't going to happen. We're addicted to their oil, so we keep our mouths shut. We allow this to happen whenever we give business to backward countries such as SA.

Pray a new technology break through occurs where we don't use fossil fuels from the ME. Either that or fund R&D or elect people into office that stand up to **** like this.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The people and money that carried out 9/11 came from Saudi Arabia. Just sayin'.

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let me make sure I got the story right

1. He Tweeted something improper which was breaking the law.
    2. He knew he was breaking the law.
    3. He attempted to escape the law.
    4. He was captured and returned to the country in which he broke the law.

Is this about the crust of the matter.

I am going to assume the issue is with The Law itself
    and not the actions of returning him
    to the country.

That said. I think there are several laws in this country that other
    countries may not agree with.
    Do you think they should facilitate our law breakers escaping our justice?
    Just because they think our laws are silly?
    [Roman Polanski comes to mind. I am repulsed that a country is protecting a pedophile]

Being outraged by the Law is semi-understandable
    [from an American perspective]
    but
    It is their law . .. I don't think we have a say in it.
    Nor am I sure we should.

I would be uncomfortable listening to the Europeans telling us
    we have draconian laws concerning pedophilia
    Stating . . If it Bleeds It can Breed. . . .

Rocket River

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So if the law in Nazi Germany was that Jews were going to be killed, and a Jew escaped Nazi Germany, and another country returned him to Nazi Germany, according to your "logic", "the issue would not be with the action of returning him to the country"... :rolleyes:

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. Have been meaning to do so, but it's too tedious to do on a smartphone. I wish we had a BBS app.

On the story, I really really hope they excuse him.