1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Journal Times]Yao to miss first two months of season?[UPDATE: Rockets deny report]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Jul 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I call BS on this article.

Why would Yao lie to everyone and say he is ready by the start of training camp and then all of a sudden he's gonna miss 2 months?

Maybe if this was T-Mac, I would believe it, but Yao doesn't have a history of lying about his health.

Besides, Feigan refuted this and said he would be back.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

your answer lies in the your post

who here knew what the journal times was before today...who heard of ben maller? no one but now people do

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If I remmeber correctly the Rockets refuted the report last year about Yao missing the entire season and look what happened. I don't trust the Rockets when it comes to Yao

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Feigan just refuted this claim and called it BS.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2010/07/rockets_roster_full_maybe_set.html

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I call B.S., but I seriously wouldn't mind. A 60 game regular season with Yao would be perfect for him to be that 30-35 minute guy. I'm confident we could be around 15-7 when he first steps on the floor.

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I can't believe people were actually gullible enough to believe this.

If someone like Adrian Woj, Feigan or some Rockets insider like DocRocket would have reported it, then I would have believed it, but come one, this is some random scrub named "Ben Maller" a beat reporter from Milwakee of all places. This dude has no inside intel on anything Houston related.

I'll give people a pass because it has been quite the boring and uneventful off-season for the Rockets and any news is gonna make headlines.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is absolutely "common sense." I have no idea on what basis fans are assuming Yao is coming back on schedule in game condition.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Because there are alot of fans. I hope he plays and plays well, i just dont think we will know.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Even if it's not true, how many years do we expect Yao to play on a bum foot? It's not like he had the durability of Hakeem. We need to acquire a young C to develop as an eventual starter.

11. rawool

rawool Member

False report. Time for this thread to get locked.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Too many injury scares with the recent-era Rockets team...I almost shat my pants when I saw this thread.

13. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

What BS... :rolleyes:

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I think for now on, every article written by Ben Maller should be banned.

15. Asian Sensation

I wouldn't mind if he missed the first 2 months of the regular season if it meant he would play 2 months after the end of the regular season. :grin:

16. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Whoa.. calm down people with the "good move by Morey, we're good enough to win with miller" talks.. because 1) we're not a playoff team without yao (we all found that out) unless we make a significant move and 2) yao is gonna be back... the rockets denied the report, and he's ahead of schedule. He'll be back, and he'll be good..

Just wait, watch, and be patient.. patience is the key to victory. ;)

17. HPD

HPD Member

i told you so...........

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I disagree with the statement that this team is not a play-off team with out Yao. Last season proved nothing. The team that finished the season is not the same team that started the season. Had we gone into the season with Kevin Martin as our starting shooting guard then I absolutely think we make the play-offs. And while I think this team is a play-off team with out Yao I do not think we were in a position to make the play-offs with no Yao Ming and with Kyle Lowry missing so much playing time after the break due to an ankle sprain.

Add to the fact that Bud has a year of experience under his belt as does Taylor and Hill and I absolutely think this team is play-off caliber even with out Yao.

19. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Agreed

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think one of the reasons Brad Miller was signed was to take pressure off of Yao.

Yao isn't going to dominate when he comes back. The Rockets are going to monitor the bajeebies out of him and then some. Yao's going to be rusty - really rusty. And training camp and pre-season might not be enough to shake it all off. He's going to miss a lot of shots, look sluggish at times, and struggle with turnovers and fouls.

In short - it might not be pretty. It might look a bit like his first year or two.

I think they will take it slow - not just to keep his body strong but his mind as well. Having Brad Miller makes sense - he can start to begin the season if necessary and let Yao come off the bench as an insurance policy.

1 person likes this.