1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Journal Times]Yao to miss first two months of season?[UPDATE: Rockets deny report]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Jul 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. worzel gummidge

Rumor stemming from the Brad Miller signing?

Whatever the case, Yao won't likely reach full health until the playoffs, and that's coming from Morey.

Looking at Big Z, who had the same procedure done. It wasn't until March when he was able to play games as a starter.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sports/2010-07/15/c_111954755.htm

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

LMAO at the overreaction.....how was this not expected, if true? Yao hasnt even started playing contact ball...i think he was suppose to get the ok this week, so maybe he started...but he's not going to go from barely playing ball with other players to being in shape to go in 2 months...Thats just enough time to get him in shape to go to a training camp, which would be over by then, so it makes send for him to take a month or so off as his training camp.

3. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

read the whole sentence...it says LAST SEASON :eek:

4. worzel gummidge

I read it, but do you understand it? :)

5. lokeej

lokeej Member

I am all for this. Yao could come back after All-Star break and I'm fine with it. A healthy Yao for playoffs is the what we want! We're going to have such a dynamic team this upcoming season, it's going to interesting.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Maybe you missed this post from aelliott in another thread, but the Big Z and Yao scenarios are completely different and not comparable.

1 person likes this.
  7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

you can hold him for half the season if you want, i am worried about feb - june, we can stay over 500 with our team minus yao, if he comes back strong 2 months into the season we can still catch up and make noise in the west

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Until Yao Ming is back and playing 20/10 ball, he isn't back. With his injury history and the severity of the surgeries it's nothing short of foolish and presumptuous for folks to be writing him back into the lineup.

Unlike McGrady, Yao really will have missed an entire year of basketball. That alone takes a huge toll - look at Jordan's first comeback. And Yao always struggled with stamina.

I'm hoping for the best - but it would be a borderline miracle for him to be playing 25+ minutes a night in November.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Yao and/or the Rockets decide to sit him the first two months of the season, that is not necessarily the worst thing in the world. Recent history has shown us that he is just not built to withstand a full 82 games+ playoffs without his 7'6" frame breaking down at some point. bringing him in December makes sense if doctors sense that might be the right thing to do to make it through the playoffs. Im confident we could still make waves in the west before December if he is coming along slower than expected.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know this wasn't the point of your post, but I had to quibble since this ALWAYS gets brought up in the context of ignorant fans who try to put an * by the Rockets' titles due to Jordan.

Jordan played more minutes per game in his comeback season than any subsequent year. Also, his playoff performance in '95 - just a month removed from his return - was equivalent or better than in any of the three-peat years ('96-'98).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

11. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

time to sign a back up for brad miller

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Shut this thread. It's not reliable and it's pointless.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hmmmm, insurance is still covering his salary, right? I would not be surprised if they held him out a bit, just to be sure....they would get some $$$$ back too.

DD

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Chas McFarland anyone? :confused:

15. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

What's his name ? Waffle?

Never trust a guy named after a breakfast food unless you really have your butt cheeks pinched tight. You never know which way they might go. Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, Captain Crunch, Frosty Flakes...watch out for these guys :grin:

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My question is, why would they report something like this if it were bs? Even i said a month or so ago that i felt Yao wouldn't come until after the All-Star break. I was hoping i was wrong. :(

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

could be good for Miller to get some PT and get used to things.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

i gave up on yao a long time ago :p

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You're right but he knows the system enough that he won't need 2 months.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is one reason. I think another reason is that Adelman wants to try his Princeton style since the rockets have signed Brad Miller. He doesn't want design game style for Yao. Instead, he wants Yao plays in his style.