1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TDRox, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

That's just simply not true.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/canaais01/gamelog/2015/

Look at the game log and come back to me as to why Canaan was missing games (DNP-coaches decision) before his injury....

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No. There is really no point in cutting him unless he really is a headcase in the locker room which HE'S NOT. The "Cancer" thing is and has always been on the court with Smith.

TJones is coming back in a few weeks, and we will let the two of them battle it out for PT. That should make things very interesting for the future as well. Josh Smith was always sort of brought in to be a TJones replacement from the start anyways. They knew he wouldn't be as efficient but they also knew that he could defend worlds better than Jones.

I dunno, but that battle for PT I think will really help the production at that spot. Both guys will have something to prove.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Our second unit has become above average if anything.

I think we need to take a peak at two starters.

Beverley and Ariza are counted on at times to be the second creator in the offense.

The Rockets need an offensive spark in starting lineup.

They need someone to make the other team's pgs work defensively.

Notice how Portland struggled offensively against the Spurs. It wasn't the Spurs defense, it was Tony Parker making Lillard run through screen after screen tiring him out.

4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I don't think most people believe that Josh Smith is the reason for the loss to the Warriors last night.

People's expectations of Smith may have been inflated, especially considering the need for time and familiarity to start to create some chemistry and balance for the Rockets. We do, as fans in this day and age, kind of want our success five minutes ago.

I think, because our offense is fairly straight-forward, it often doesn't showcase some of the things that Josh Smith can do well. That isn't Smith's fault. But the team identity is focused more or less on establishing what kind of offensive player Dwight Howard is, as opposed to what he thinks he is or wants to be.

I thought that dynamic had to be sorted out before anything else positive could happen for the Rockets once Howard was acquired, especially since everybody was committed to letting Howard experiment. I never had any belief that Howard would be anything like a consistent low-post offensive player. Howard's been hung up on this for a few seasons now, but at some point, you have to accept who you are and play within yourself.

Dwight Howard is one of the best big men in the league. He might not be 100% healthy, but none of that matters as much as him trying to improve an area of his game (at this stage of his career) that was fairly non-existent I the first place.

I might sound like I'm knocking Dwight, but I'm not. The Rockets need Dwight Howard if they have any plans of advancing in the postseason. They just need some consistency from him. And I think you get that consistency by doing the things you do well.

Josh Smith is a good player. Better than most give him credit for. But the way the team plays on offense isn't a good fit for him because he just doesn't shoot the ball well beyond 15 feet. I think a more active offense would be good for him (like Golden State's for instance) where he isn't parked away from the paint...but we're not likely to see that here without another ball-handler...

5. dragician

dragician Member

he's a nice guy but his game is the cancer, and of course, Howard's softness and inconsistencies... that sums up to Morey's legacy.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Only clueless casual fans who worship ESPN and only read ESPN message boards would claim that Smith is a cancer and is killing the team.

The biggest issue for the Rockets right now is Dwight's health and his inability to regain his dominant form. Right now Omer Asik is a straight up upgrade to Dwight since he doesn't demand the ball and is probably even better defensively right now.

These events really put into question Morey's decision to pursue Dwight.

7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

With the paltry play of our starters, I think we have to consider bringing Ariza off the bench and starting Brewer. Our starting offense is so stagnant and it is honestly frustrating to watch.

Brewer cuts and slashes better than any other role player on the team. He's definitely a sparkplug and could do a lot to charge up a unit that has brought a lackluster intensity during the past few weeks.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You got it all wrong. Les Alexander should not live by any standards.

But there will be a new generation of owners who like to tweet and go after players no matter what.

Conservative owners or Les Alexander like the Center position will die out eventually one day.

9. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I really don't think Josh has been bad. He's made some great defensive plays and is starting to play within his abilities. he's not jacking up ridiculous shots from 23 ft. His shots are mostly put backs or layups.

10. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Agree 100%.

He's just not a bright basketball player.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

12. dragician

dragician Member

There's a reason why he was DMoted.

13. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

How so? The poster i replied to stated that Canaan was not in McFail's doghouse...In a 4 game stretch prior to his injury he had 2 DNPs, 1 game with less than 3 mins on the court and 1 game with 20 mins on the court. Either Mchale is incompetent or Canaan was in his Doghouse. It has to be one or the other.

14. Mr. Clutch

Those are the only explanations?

15. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

and the game he actually played 20 mins was a 26 point defeat and was a blowout from the start.

16. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

What is your theory?

17. Mr. Clutch

I don't think Canaan is a superstar. I don't think he's better than Bev or Terry

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Morey got Smith for almost nothing, a move that I think make sense in almost any circumstance. It was McHale that put him in the starting line up after one freaking game and it is McHale that chooses who play. McHale is the cancer enabler. He just have a stubborn love for some player. He doesn't know what chemistry is if it was tattooed to his eye balls.

19. dobro1229

I really have no idea what you are talking about. I was referring to DD's high regard for Cuban. The very same owner who went after Josh Smith as well.

Your conservative owners vs. new owners argument... I have no idea what you are talking about.

20. dobro1229

Only person I recall saying that Canaan is a future superstar is Clyde Drexler. I think I recall Bill saying something along the lines of "A superstar?...let's talk about D-Mo", and then Bull said something like "I'll just vote for James Harden, and be safe with my bet".

What Canaan has going for him is he can shoot. He's got some talent in other ways too, but I don't know if anyone is sure that he can separate himself with that talent in an NBA game. I liked what I saw before he got injured that told me enough to know that HE NEEDS ANOTHER SHOT at PT.

Other than that, his future is pretty much an unknown. Guy could very well be out of the league next year the way the NBA goes, but he showed enough early on this season to warrant another shot.