1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Feb 5, 2008.

?

Will Josh Smith give Hakeem a run for his money?

1. yes

14.5%
  2. no

63.6%
  3. no, but he will finish in the top three

22.0%
  1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I provided links and some comparative history, so I think I did deal with it.

I guess I will always consider him a perimeter oriented "forward" (guard is not the right word) because I see him transitioning to SF as his athleticism fades down the road. Right now he doesn't get his blocks standing under the basket, he roams the court defensively. As an expert who watches all his games, you can agree with me on this?

2. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHwjCzJb3GA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHwjCzJb3GA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

He destroys everythings

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watch the vid below,most of those blocks he is standing directly under the basket.

Why would he transition to a SF if his athleticism fades? Would it not make sense to transition to PF so he can keep up and not have to guard the Lebron's Melo's etc. He is 3 inches taller than Chuck Hayes with an incredible wingspan(not to mention he can not shoot from the perimeter,as previously shown)

4. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

*Shakes head* He for sure plays PF for the Hawks.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL9C.HTM

He doesn't even play 1% of the Hawks' minutes at SG or SF. He does however play 66% of their minutes at PF and 4% of their minutes at C :D

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

UTweezer and Xenochimera are smoking some serious crack to think that Josh Smith will break Hakeem's record.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The guy has incredible timing, mad hops, those long arms, and makes me wish he played for the Rocks. Break Dream's record? Not a chance.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The more important question is could we trade for him?

DD

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Atlanta is one team to keep an eye on in terms of potential trade partners. They have one of the lowest payrolls in the league and they're absolutely oozing with young, athletic talent with boatloads of upside. You can't afford to keep everybody, right?

I would have to say 'no' to your question. Josh Smith seems to be one guy they absolutely cannot afford to deal. He's a restricted FA this summer so it will be interesting to see if he commands a max contract or not. In the event that he does, that's two max contracts for an owner that doesn't want to spend a lot of money as is.

Josh Childress is a guy I like a lot that's also a restricted FA this summer. He's one of those smart, versatile do-it-all type swingmen that could thrive elsewhere.

Marvin Williams is probably the main guy to keep an eye on. He's having a breakout year and will become a restricted free agent next summer. In the event Smith commands a max contract how much can they afford to pay Marvin?

I would want Marvin bad enough to trade him one of our rookies if need be, to put things into perspective. He's an All-Star level talent....and this is coming from somebody that watches nearly every Hawks game.

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

His knees will not hold up long enough. Hes gotta jump a little higher than Hakeem. So no, he will not catch up. I would be surprised if he even reaches 3000.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

ok ok, maybe i jumped a little too soon (it helps when josh smith is on your fantasy team!)

Can we all just agree that he is sick and probably the best shot blocker of our time?

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

:confused:
    It would be wise to actually have watched a game about said player in discussion before commenting on him. Just a heads up.

12. alaskansnowman

Lol man Ronny is getting pwned left and right.

13. stq

stq Member

as he ages, he will not be able to keep doing it.

It is for a reason that block shot leaders are usually tall centers,

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17pts-9reb-9asts-5blks-2stls

In a win over the Lakers!

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

im taking this guy first round in fantasy next year. I dont give a crap what people have to say about it.

at least as far as fantasy ball goes, this guy is as good as it gets.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I don't know. My comment about the perimeter was obviously wrong, but it was because I relate his athleticism more to Kobe and TMac when they came into the league. Other than that I'm the only one who's made a logical argument that the Internet bullies can't really argue against? "Have you actually seen him play" is the oldest one in the book.

?

?

The leading shot blockers like Hakeem and Mutombo spent many years blocking shots without their freakish athleticism, as a result of their length and timing. I just don't see Josh Smith doing that down the road, at a level close to where he is now.

18. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

haha he would have to pass 2 rockets b4 he gets best all time shot blocker

19. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

beat marcus camby first then we'll talk.

20. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

If he stay healthy I don't see why not.