1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Jul 16, 2015.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/eQLzj0MtBDU/embed/simple" width="480" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

2. cdrive

J smoove doing what he do:

-11 (+/-), 5-13 shooting, 3-5 from the charity stripe, 2 TOs in a 1:1 ratio to accompany his 2 assists.

3. cdrive

Here is that classic J Smoove defense so many here laud over: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Everything about this Mudiay play was terrific. Set, the pass, the finish. <a href="https://twitter.com/Adam_Mares">@Adam_Mares</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/jmorton78">@jmorton78</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/NateTimmonsBSN">@NateTimmonsBSN</a> <a href="http://t.co/wc62cKkLDL">pic.twitter.com/wc62cKkLDL</a></p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/650176863332007938">October 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Please analyze this play for us then.

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

We screwed the pooch with losing Josh Smith. Arguments otherwise have been very weak.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, it's preseason and the Nuggets suck.

Second, I watched the entire game and he played exactly like he did on an average game with the Rockets. Shot poorly, made some dumb turnovers, but had a couple of nice plays.

If TJ and DMo are healthy during the most of the season, we won't miss him. His value came due to the fact that one of them seemed to be always out last year.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Can't see how. He chose to leave for more playing time we could promise him, given how jam packed the 4 position is.

8. cdrive

Even Smoove knew he couldn't earn minutes away from D-Mo & Jones. One nice dunk doesn't erase 24 minutes of sub-par basketball. This isn't anything new. There is a reason why contenders weren't lining up to snatch Smoove with a whopping $1.6 million dollars being waved high in their hands.

"Fire Morray!?" No.

Watch Smoove carefully the whole time in Jokic's highlight reel from last night if you wanna know what @$$ looks like.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTE4GbPNEnA

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I would say this is the definitive, "how Josh Smith kills you" video. Just look at how many defensive issues were results of inconsistent effort from being too overzealous at times and too passive at others.

While this was one blowout loss to GS, I would say that's a fairly accurate representation of Josh's value on the team. Throw in a couple of surprising 3 pointers(that you cringe at as he is going into the shooting motion), some stellar passing(the one thing he is consistently good at), and one or two explosive dunks and that's a "good" Josh game.

I said this in the Lawson thread, but Smith was more valuable to us as a playmaker then anything else last year and with Lawson on the team, I would much rather it be Ty and James making plays happen than James and Josh. As for the Clippers, you want CP3, Blake, and Crawford with the ball in their hands before Josh but Josh is going to do his best to increase his usage on the team whether it's justified or not...

https://youtu.be/sKY1_BCgUTg?list=PLpIcK3MilCnYe--p1gE6ThZp8DRWV8TAv

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Is it really necessary to hate on Josh? We know his limitations and I definitely won't miss his style of play. With that said I am sure he will do decent with the clippers. He isn't that bad all the time lol.

I definitely will always appreciate the few memories he brought us.

1 person likes this.
  11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Everybody quiet now ;)

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Their bench unit is him, lance, austin and crawford. Crawford is a decent one man band, but the rest are a combined bbiq apocalypse waiting to happen.

13. hakeemthagreat

I watched the whole game and he played fantastic. You guys are so bias its comical. Smith does all the intangibles Jones & DMo haven't done consistently. Hes blocks shots, rebounds & can handle the ball very good for a big man. He has his weaknesses. But so do DMo & Jones. The difference is simply than both at this point. Hopefully Jones will improve

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Calling his play fantastic, come on dude. I just watched the game and he was pretty bad. He had one late shot clock three and a set shot three that looked good, but for the rest it was the same recipe: early shot clock long two and threes (contested, from too far behind the line), a few bad passes while jumping, just out of control and going out of bounds and forcing up a few bad shots. His stat line confirms that:

17 minutes, 2-8 FG, 2-4 3p, 3 rebounds, 2 TOs, 1 assist and a -17

How can you call that fantastic??

15. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Exactly. It was HIS decision to leave. I don't think they could have done anything else given the position they were in cap wise.

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

For all those good things he has bad things. He showed up for game 6-7 in the clips series and dallas series but was a non factor in the GS series. Get over it he's gone.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This thread is so funny and pathetic at the same time.

People are laughing at LOF getting excited about a scrub having some highlights in couple preseason games.

Meanwhile, there you have it, you acted like a bunch of losers got dumped by you former GF, and then still stalking her facebook page trying to find material to bad mouth her in the classrooms.

1 person likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

fantastic? no, not even close. if that's fantastic to you then you have some pretty low standards which I don't think you do. come on now

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Exactly!

Smith signed super cheap last season and provided a lot for the team especially with all the injuries we had in the front court. He did a lot to help the team advance the farthest it has gone in 20 years. Without the injuries chances are Smith wouldn't have played last year that much. I am not sure where he would have had his minutes here which is why he left. I think there is nothing wrong with a guy wanting to get some time on the court. Smith isn't washed up but he has lost some of his athleticism which made him so versatile in ATL.

Jones/DMo/Capella all at this stage deserve more minutes than Smith on this team. If Montrezl plays with the same sort of energy and motor he probably too will see the court for a few minutes. Its unfortunate we couldn't keep Smith at the relatively inexpensive price tag, but the reasons why we didn't were legitimate and a good problem to have (oh no we have too many good young developing big men!)

The only thing that potentially would worry me with Smith is that he took another "pay cut" to sign with LAC because he is still getting a big check from the Pistons - he isnt soo washed up that he cant get another 2-3 year deal from some time, but at what point will he try to "get his" and not try to fit into the team's scheme?

People need to stop trying to slam Smith and point out his shortcomings its silly to do so. Smith was an overall good thing for the team last season and its not like we're in a huge hole because he left. I personally wish him luck and he is JSmoove every time he steps out on the court - except when he plays the Rockets then he can be Josh Smith

2 people like this.
  20. FeaR

FeaR Member

He's a troll (and in my ignore list) so you don't even need to answer him seriously. As for Josh smith , he was awful. Lawson will get all these Josh Smith's missed shots and turnovers and make plays.