1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith plan B for the Rockets (Via Vecsey)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Big Daddy Kane

I agree, that's probably how it's going to play out but I do feel the T-Rob deal is a necessary chess move to both, clear cap space to sign Dwight outright and gain leverage over the Lakers and the Hawks. With them knowing we can just sign Dwight outright, they will be a little more willing to deal and take on some of our contracts on our terms, especially when they realize they don't have a chance to sign Dwight and we don't have to deal with them to make it happen.

2. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Once we have cap room to sign Dwight outright, what is the point of talking to the Lakers for a S&T? The only reason you use the Lakers to do a S&T is to avoid dumping salary elsewhere. Even then I still see it as unnecessary. The team that needs to play ball will be the Hawks but if they are receiving Asik, I dare say they jump at it in a S&T for Josh Smith.

3. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

97% of the 3's josh smith made last year came from assists
    73% of his mid range makes also came from assists.

how much pop do you need.

4. Big Daddy Kane

Once the Lakers and Hawks realize that they are going to lose Howard and Smith to the Rockets, they will bid against each for a sign and trade and we'll take the best offer. The Hawks will likely bid only for Asik. The Lakers will also bid for Asik but may also want Lin. So I think it depends on what the Rockets plans are for Lin and how much cap space they want to clear for other roster moves.

5. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Yeah, maybe. How much weight do you think Morey will put into sending talent outside of his conference? Do you really want to give the Lakers a decent trade asset or good player that might come back to bite us? If I had to decide, all things equal, I'd be sending Asik to the Hawks.

6. SSP365

SSP365 Member

he should be plan A.

smith fits better with this team than howard. at least smith has 3pt range and can hit the outside shot and is a very underrated playmaker. would probably be cheaper to get and we get to keep asik.

7. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Would rather move TRob and White, sign Howard, then trade TJones + Asik for JSmith in a SnT.

While JSmith 'fits' better with our team, Howard is a much better player. Asik is a very moveable/valuable asset. He doesn't lose value on the trade market just because we got Dwight.

8. Big Daddy Kane

I agree. Another beautiful thing is the mention about Garnett being a possibility. It gives us another bidder for Asik plus may drive down what Smith is willing to sign for if he fears we may go with Garnett.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

YES YES YES AND YES.

Sounds like a plan!

Hard part is moving T-Rob and WHITE! That's why we're starting early. 4 weeks out!

The real question is what is Plan B if we can't move T-Rob and White, how far are we gonna go? Throw in a first rounder too? Everything hinges on freeing up the cap room for Dwight, the other steps will fall like dominoes. We are in a race now with our competition Dallas and Atlanta and others to dump cap room. I can imagine Charlotte having Morey on one line and Cuban on the other. Let's make a deal!

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'm with you!

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Josh Smith's impact on the defensive end would help the Rockets tremendously.

12. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

i guess he meant a good pick and pop power forward. :grin:

seriously tho. i don't like his fit in this offense. his defense is very good however, and underrated (which makes him a positive impact player..otherwise he's a neutral if not slightly negative offensive player).

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

When I think of vecsey, I think of the Shawn Kemp incident when he was chasing him in down town Seattle after he broke the news about Kemp's Alcohol addiction.That was a really low act on Vecsey's part.

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Vescey worked for the NBA on NBC in the past. That's all the credibility you need.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

The guy's an a-hole but come on... if he would sign with us outright of course you take him.

16. basketballholic

Hmmmmm....synergy with Atlanta for a JSmoove S&T using Asik. That would purport to a S&T of Dwight using Atlanta as a middle man for dumping Garcia/White/Brooks.

17. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Yeah, been doing some snooping around the Internet and the Atlanta forums have been suggesting this, except T-Rob in the mix for JSmoove. Don't know how the Dwight part would be a S&T though. Could you explain how this works?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's more than CP3 being an a-hole. I just really don't want to sink my money into any ball dominant PG. Historically, they have not won championships. I prefer to spend my money on a big man because you almost have to have one to win a championship unless you are Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan still had some great defensive bigs.

Lakers - Gasol, Bynum
    Spur - Duncan Robinson
    Pistons - Rasheed
    Heat - Lebron, Bosh
    Rockets - Dream

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Been saying this since day one...But thanks for the confirmation...

20. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Looks like we can possibly get both.

But Chris Paul seems to out of the picture. I'm glad about that because he doesn't seem like a good fit.