1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith plan B for the Rockets (Via Vecsey)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

How anybody can doubt cyberx after he was the first to throw out how high Howard is on Houston is beyond me.

Thanks bud. I'm sorry for the rats around this place.

I think Josh Smith would be awesome for us. I would not want him at the max however. BUT if we sign Howard, there is a possibility we can S&T Asik for him, assuming Smoove won't mind taking a bit of a paycut to play for a winner (He was tired of losing in ATL, remember.) He would pick playing with two stars over playing for money in Philly, bank on it. But again, only if he's willing to take a paycut. He has to realize he isn't the Wade or LeBron here. He is the third wheel, whose job would be rebound-defense-dunks.

Lin-Harden-Parsons-Smith-Howard. THAT is a championship line-up. Two all-stars, one border-line, and two great young talents.

2. platypus

platypus Member

I'm down if smith understands that he isn't a max player. Smith at his best is a player that commands a 8-10 million salary. This salary is perfect for him as it does not put the onus on him to perform to the standards of a franchise max contract that he is asking for (15mil).

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yep that's all I'd offer him take it or go get a max deal on some loser team.

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Maybe he meant the top 2 FEASIBLE free agents -

Dwight
    Smith

Not saying I want Smith. Just saying Morey knows how to be evasive.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Used to be...the best. Times they are a passin'...

That said, very interesting DM the GM and Hinkie both chasing the same dance partner? (If indeed either/both are, that is.)

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If it's DHoHo + JSmoove (as per DHoHo, that is) then how does that alter the reality?

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To me it could mean Danny Granger, new gen stretch-4, CP25 b/u. If that is a summer addition I shant cry too hard.

Now, if DHoHo yo-yo's to Dallas then I might cry some tears. :eek:

8. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

You're not crazy at all.. Also David West can hit a jumpshot.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Agreeing with Vecsey actually...hurts...cyberx's credibility a little bit?

I too am torn. Vecsey's track record is almost as good as Steven A Smith's, in terms of how opposite to the truth the words are that come out of his mouth.

10. rocketblood713

thanks snitches cyberex cant give us all the info now

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't believe Vecsey and haven't believed cyberx for a while now. No way Morey would get Josh Smith.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think Morey would take Josh Smith at the right price. But, because so many teams will have cap space, Josh Smith will only be available for the wrong price. Thus, we don't pick him up.

13. liveguy

liveguy Member

I agree with one of the other posters in this thread that the Rox should just develop Jones to be that Smith type PF and at a MUCH cheaper price.

Regardless of what happens with the D12 sweepstakes.

Only way it would be a good move is to get him (Smith) for what he is worth which is far below max money.

14. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Actually crossed my mind for a minute too.

But, "like I said before" (NOT in my Floyd Mayweather voice!...lol), if you think back to the last "Dwightmare", there were MANY that just "knew", felt or believed that due to Morey having the best available assets, Dwight WAS coming here.

The Orlando based NBA writer (not newscaster) was constantly tweeting everything else you read is B.S and HOUSTON is still the most likely destination. Yet, Cyberx continued to say he was NOT coming to Houston and that L.A WAS definitely a strong possibility.

Contrary to what some remember, Jopot. was NOT the only one who was adamant on these boards Dwight was likely coming to Houston.

Cyberx "fought that" notion in no uncertain terms, never giving any sign whatsoever Houston was even really being considered strongly, which many tried to convince him was just plain wrong.

Again, not sure he's a "big time insider", but he definitely has access to information almost no one else does - to each his own as far as the definition of an "insider".

Guy is legit and it's amazing people keep questioning that. A couple of guys on his other thread about "Chances growing" should feel kinda' stupid for the way they acted - especially with their limited history here. (not to mention those with long time reps vouching for him.

15. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

They were talking about David West getting about $11 to $13 mil a year during free agency this summer. I think Smith is a better player (although different player) than West.

16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am not saying we need to get Smith - but some people really overvalue our own young prospects here. Jones has shown us some flashes so far - nothing more. Smith has been a core rotational player since he got in the league. He is a legit 17-8-2 guy for the better part of his career. Sure, you can question his efficiency and his decisions, but I don`t think there is a question, that he is a legit starter in this league and possibly a borderline star (with great help defense, decent rebounding and at least some offensive game).

The most players like Jones make their living as a career backup or are out of the league in a couple of years. Remember Landry? He was way more promising than Jones (with dunks, nice rebounding and a developing mid range game - and actual production on the field). He is still a backup and nowhere near the player Josh Smith is (yeah, I like Landry too - but at the same price, you won`t find a GM in the league actually prefering him over Smith).

So while I like our young bigs - the chances that one of them turn into a legitimate starter on a championship team are extremely slim. And you definetly can`t count on them. I am not saying we should get J. Smith - I am just saying, don`t believe our young players can put the same things on the table for a much lower prize. No FA PF probably means subpar play at PF until we add a PF...

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

So you are going to trust Morey, who constantly lies to everyone and anyone and plays his cards close to the vest? Until a deal is inked and done or free agency ends, Morey is the LAST person you or anyone should trust what he says. Insiders are far more trustworthy in terms of leaks than GM's. To those arguing that Smith is not a Morey guy, let me ask you this:

- Was Ariza a Morey guy?
    - Was Aaron Brooks a Morey guy?
    - Was Artest a Morey guy?
    - Is TRob a Morey guy?
    - Is Jeremy Lin a Morey guy?

Morey will go after whomever, if he feels will make the team better or whomever his boss chooses.

18. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

I'm gonna have to agree with this, Vecsey is a scum, the guy is as credible as Bill "The Rocket GUY" Ingram, and although I believe cyberx(thanks for info!), Theres no way in hell Morey is going after Josh Smith. Morey would kill himself if he gave up cap flexibility to sign smith, a good player but not championship caliber because his inability to hit the open jumper. Plain and simple, theres no way in hell morey is going after smith unless it is related to Dwight(they're close friends). He is NOT plan B

19. Classic

Classic Member

I think some people here are underestimating what Smith could bring to this run N gun squad. I mean our production at the 4 was pretty bad this year.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8YmT-2Ns4jM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. izeroi

izeroi Member

Good god I haven't heard the name Peter Vecsey since nba on nbc