1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith plan B for the Rockets (Via Vecsey)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 3, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I would be afraid of becoming the next Atlanta Hawks from 3 years ago.

Johnson / Harden
    Smith / Smith
    Horford / Parsons

Only way I think I want Smith is if he is dirt cheap or its the tipping point in getting Howard here.

2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

But the reason he gave makes this even more unbelievable..

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Morey isn't going to show his true intentions at a season ticket event. Furthermore, it's possible that Morey doesn't view CP3 as a realistic target free agent and feels as if he is going to resign in LA. You never can truly tell, he talked about Robinson developing, and the next day we hear about him being shopped.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't believe anything about Josh Smith - doesn't seem to be a Morey player at all.

DD

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I can definitely see Morey not liking him. I'm not sure Morey liked Ariza. But the Rockets are targeting him.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Damn it, freakin loose lips.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly. Leslie Alexander might be pushing for a move now rather than later since Smith brings defense, can fix our PF problem somewhat and is a big name. I don't like his style but you can't deny his talent.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I would not trade any of our starters (except a PF) for Josh Smith on a near max contract. Wait for LMA- he will probably be available at some point this season, or try to sign him if he opts out at the end of the year.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What did you expect was going to happen?

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Perhaps they value Smith a bit more highly than you believe? If the Sixers are going after him, I'd be inclined to believe that the Rockets like him for the cash.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

F*** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What he/she probably didn't expect was to have a full blown investigation in a form of a thread where a member laid out who CyberX might be in real life. I hope the OP of that thread gets banned permanently

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

just because the Rockets have money to spend...they arent just tossing the amount around at Josh Smith...he will get a fair value by the Rockets, but I would be highly surprised if Smith is given the keys to the vault...

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Believe it or not Joe Johnson was a legit max level player at one point in time.

15. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

you could always go the doc rockets route and be cryptic about your insight ;)

16. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

What a huge drop off: the most dominant center in the L to another undersized PF. He won't be playing much SF I imagine.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that it's from Peter Vecsey makes me think there is no way in hell that Smith is even on the Rockets Radar, and they may in fact be willing to do anything at all to not acquire Josh Smith.

18. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

THIS.

19. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

There was a report that came out recently (I think it was coach Nick interviewing Larry Coon) that Josh Smith might only get 8-9 milliion due to the effect the CBA is having on teams and their payroll. If the Rockets were to get Smith for 9 million if they struck out with Dwight I'd be very happy with that outcome.

One thing I think some have failed to consider is that Smith has only ever played for ATL, not the greatest of clubs or coaches. It is possible that a change of scenery, a new team, coach, team mates may cause him to adjust his play and become an all around better player. He has the tools, he can guard 3s and 4s, he is athletic and can finish around the rim, rebound and block shots. He can post up and pass, he can even run the pick and role. He CAN shoot the corner 3 when open. What else do you want from a SF/PF?

Getting all of the above production from a 9 million dollar salary would be an awesome pickup for Morey. I'd even go so far as to say I'd prefer him on our team over Asik if Dwight walked in 'THAT' door.

All I know is, when I change jobs and have a change of scenery, my passion for working is reignited, I'm eager to learn again and I become mold-able again. I dare say the same thing can happen to players when they change teams. For 8-9 million, I'd take that bet on the Rockets roster.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Plan B should be David West along with Josh Smith.

I'll take David West over Josh right now though, and I realize the age difference. We have plenty of youth, so some leadership would be great. DWest is effective as hell and can be an enforcer as necessary.

Call me crazy, but I like a more traditional, post-up, pick and pop forward more than what Josh Smith is.

I don't know how successful Josh would be in this McHale "offense." Seems like we need a different type of forward.