1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith is NOT a low "IQ" player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Dec 24, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, Dmo is better and is getting better as well - his percentages have gone up, and his defense is massive in the paint....

I know they had to promise JSmith a starting spot, but DMo deserves it.

DD

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

they didnt have to, they wanted to

3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

It's ok. DMo will be here longer than smith or dwight Howard. His day will come.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think today JSmith is tougher and can be more physical, which is something this teams struggles with. Dmo gets outworked a lot by stronger players.

That said, I actually agree with you on Dmo being the better choice as a starter. He can spread the floor, he is our best post-up player, and he protects the rim really well.

I think he was starting to come into his own. I really hope this doesn't impact that.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Mr. Smith will be happy to prove you wrong. At least he can be decent and no negative on Offense.

6. DaDakota

Yes, in order to get him to sign, and they know they have DMo locked for 2 more years enough to keep him happy or change his mind if he gets upset.

Personally, I don't mind DMo as backup C and PF, but I would prefer TJones to be starting at PF rather than JSmith....

DD

7. Aleron

Personally i'm not a fan of watching Aldridge go 31-25 whilst his man goes 5-2, but i guess each to his own.

And no they didn't, they offered him the starting job because they want him to start, Stein is not credible on anything that may look bad for Dallas, you're letting him lead you down the rabbit hole of "we did it in spite of".

8. DaDakota

Yep, should have played DMo some - eh?

Tjones is only 22 years old, and he is offensively efficient, with DHo behind him, I would bet he improves a lot on defense too....

That being said he is not healthy, so Jsmooth makes sense.

And DMo is a center, not a PF, so that is fine too.....but JSmith is in serious decline, his athleticism has been waning for 2+ years and his efficiency is as well.

As a 6 month half a season rental, fine, but we need to keep younger more skilled players going forward.

DD

9. Aleron

Yes, we can play Dmo and watch Blake go for 30 and 10, whilst Dmo goes for 6 and 7, huge fan of that too.

There's really no indicator of Smith's athleticism declining past what it was the last 2 years, maybe not what he was at 24, but not much since, his defensive metrics are mostly unchanged (positive then, positive now), and his offense is still predicated on the same thing. He's good near the rim, butr that's taken a hit because their coach is an over rated bum (seriously, Drummond's numbers at the rim are down 14%, and that guy is only 21, it's not athleticism, it's **** offensive system)

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think you will be surprised at how well smith fits into the team. that is with morey,mchale,howard,harden, and ariza keeping him under control.

along with dmo not being taken out of the game anymore and playing long minutes still bolstering the bench. i really do see good things.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

D-Mo is one of the best positional defenders in the NBA (in the Shane Battier mold) while Smith is the more athletic and physical type of defender. This is like the Shane Battier/Ron Artest situation. Artest was on decline as well but still a pretty good defender in his own right. But even then they didn't take Shane's starting spot.

And another difference is D-Mo is a much more gifted player on offense, being 7ft tall and able to score at a really high clip in the post.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lol this is such biased bull****. D-Mo had two games when his man went off. One against Blake Griffin. And D-Mo didn't do anything on offense.

The other against Cousins in which D-Mo scored quite a bit on the other end and shut Cousins down in the 4th.

Every other game D-Mo had in the starting line-up he held his man in check and got his points. How about when he held Gasol/Z-Bo to a combined 16 points? Why didn't you bring that up in your one game sample size? :confused:

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never could I imagine that Dmo would have more fans than Yao lmao only here. I think Yao was a stiff in comparison.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Let's wait until at least a few games with Smith in the lineup before we proclaim that DMo "deserves" the spot.

We have been getting off to very bad starts with the Howard/DMo frontcourt. Smith might be a better fit next to Howard, just like Jones.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I have alot of friends who are Hawk fans (I spent some time in Atlanta). That's the gripe they had with Josh Smith.

Recurring theme on facebook minifeed was rants on Josh Smith taking and bricking boneheaded jumpers and losing games for the Hawks. It drove them crazy.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you watched many Pistons games?

I don't see the "serious decline" that you are talking about when i watch Josh Smith. I see a talented player on a bad, disfunctional team. He can still make game changing defensive plays, and his fluidity on the floor is just as smooth as it has always been, and he is still an explosive finisher.

I don't see any reason why he can't get back to the decent field goal percentage he has had for the rest of his career, and his near 2 to 1 assist to turnover could absolutely help our efficiency. 5 assists a game this year?

Crossing my fingers that it is the situation, and not the attitude, health, etc...

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dmo has been a beast on both ends of the floor..not sure what you're talking about. I was cautiously optimistic..but Dmo has the goods. As of now, I do have a problem with Smith starting over him. Dmo earned that ****, and thats how we operate. He's also one of the only guys in the league with a legit post game.

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Oh and I never answered the thread title, it screams biased homerism. I'm content with the signing considering it is a low cost move...but Smith isn't a "low IQ player"....that's is just a terrible take.

19. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Gotta love the hypocrisy of an Internet message board. I will applaud those who were either completely for or against Josh Smith. At least those guys are sticking with their initial stance. The amount of flip flopping from the others however is quite amusing...gotta support the team no matter what unless your last name is Lin.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Oh and I never answered the thread title, it screams biased homerism. I'm content with the signing considering it is a low cost move...but lol at Smith isn't a "low IQ player"....that's is just a terrible take. The guy takes incredibly inefficient shots he is known to hit at a low clip.. with no conscience. I just hope he can lock down opposing PFs so they don't treat us like rag dolls.