1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith is NOT a low "IQ" player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Dec 24, 2014.

1. macho87

macho87 Member

I'm pretty excited about the signing but let's get real here clutchfans, josh smith is a dummie. Hopefully we can minimize his mistakes and make him focus on the things he's good at.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

LOL at Clutch's statement on the front page "While Josh has flaws...". Understatement of the year!

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Zach Lowe doesn't seem to be too down on him (like he is toward Rondo somewhat) so that's something..?

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Technically using the nba.com shot chart, Drummond is down from 63% to 49% and Monroe is down from 53% to 49%, Drummond's drop off has been even worse than Smith's

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Chuck was never in conversation for an allstar bench spot.

Different Dimensions IMO

It is funny that people say that now otherwise he would not been available,

if he had a fantastic season.

People decide what they want for Christmas - flawed but talented player for peanuts or Chandler Parsons kind of deal

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What's worse about Smith is that he is almost the same type of offensive player as Howard. Smith has had like one back to the basket moves I've ever seen him use: running hook. Howard has better post moves but both Jones and DMo have more offensive skills.

7. omgTHEpotential

Pretty much this. Anyone saying otherwise is just being a homer.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

True Smith is going to hurt the starters' offense, but the idea is to hurt the starters to supercharge the bench. Having a guy like DMo to anchor the bench's defense and give them a go to guy offensively should help the Rockets either get back in games or extend leads when the bench is in. I think the starters are good enough to absorb the blow Smith will do to them so long as they keep the ball away from him.

Anyway, it's Christmas, we should be optimistic!

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

The op's argument wasn't very convincing to me at least.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For Kobe, (and probably probably Josh Smith) poor shot selection is a function of runaway narcissism, not low basketball IQ.

11. omgTHEpotential

You can't view BBIQ as such a simplistic thing. If basketball IQ was a tree, shot-selection would be one of the branches. You can't say it's just narcissism. Ego takes away from players IQ.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think I've seen any arguments against him being a low basketball IQ player. I've seen some excuses for his awful shooting, some just say "nuh-uh", but never a case against him being a low BBIQ guy.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me summarize the JSmoove debate.

1. Signing him for next to nothing is a no-brainer. This should not be a point of contention.

2. The real debate is how much will he help.

3. Nobody can deny the fact that he has been a low percentage shooter throughout his career (not just in Detroit, which was even worse). HE IS NOT A STRETCH 4. Is it because he has been asked to do more than he should, or is it just because he likes taking dumb shots?

4. How much his bad shooting is a problem for us will depend on whether McHale, Howard, and Harden can rein him in. If he just concentrates on playing defense, rebounding, and being the garbage man on offense, we'll be a VERY good team.

5. What do we do with DMo, and more importantly TJones when he's back? That's a tough question. I have my own opinion. But I am just summarizing the more agreeable points here.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not that I exactly expect accuracy or honesty but that's just an outright lie. . In fact I said exactly the opposite with respect to Bridgewater, his football IQ was just about the only thing good about him. I guess how it goes is if you don't have anything of quality to say, just lie.

15. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

See, I think it is pretty simplistic to think that Kobe suddenly became stupid when his ability to hit a jumper went in the toilet. Intelligence is a measure of cognitive function. His poor production isn't the result of some traumatic brain injury suffered half way through his career. Kobe has exactly the same brain he had when he wasn't a low basketball IQ player.

The mind he had when he was the best player in the universe and nobody credible woild claim he had a low basketball IQ is the same mind he has today.

If deterioration of physical skills = low basketball IQ, then everybody playing with an injury that effects their game is temporarily brain damaged.

#75 Ottomaton, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  16. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Wanna show show me where you said that? I have a very specific memory of the opposite.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He is stupid when he doesn't recognize that he's struggling and the poor play is causing his team to lose. That is poor basketball IQ = poor recognition of what's going on in your surrounding.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to go back through the threads but it's okay if you were just wrong, it's not okay if you were intentionally lying. You might be confusing me for someone else, my arguments against taking Teddy Bridgewater with the first pick in the draft were because of his lack of deep ball accuracy, his small hands, his small frame, and his less than spectacular showings at the combine and pro day. He did kind of bomb the Wonderlic, but I don't think that affects his football IQ, just his real world IQ...which aren't related. You can be a football savant and be dumb as a bag of hammers at the same time. Same goes for basketball.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is DMO better than JSmith? I am curious to know what people think?

I feel like JSmith would be the perfect back up to Howard, not the perfect side-kick as a starter.

20. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

DMo is the better player now and can be a better player than smith was in his prime. Smith came into the nba out of high school. Dude was bigger and could jump higher than anyone most of his bball life. Never really had to develop a bball skill like say a post game.