1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith being a bad free throw shooter makes no sense...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 13, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

We talk a lot about Dwight Howard's bad free throw shooting. It's obvious that Dwight is a bad free throw shooter. Just looking at his form, it's easy to see why he can't shoot.

Dwight cannot hit mid-range jumpers, and he can't hit 3's naturally either.

Josh Smith can hit jumpers in games. He can hit mid-range shots and can even hit the 3 at a decent enough rate.

His form is not bad. He should be able to hit free throws.

Yet he's shooting 52.1% on his free throws with the Rockets, 49.8% for the year. Dwight Howard is shooting BETTER at 52.8%. Think about that. Dwight Howard is a better shooter from 15 feet away uncontested than Josh Smith is.

How is it possible that Josh Smith is such a bad free throw shooter? I really do not get it.

The first 4 years of his career he was about a 70% free throw shooter... which would seem about right considering his shooting percentages from other spots on the floor.

But after those first 4 years, his free throw shooting fell off a cliff.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Same thing happened with Otis Thorpe.

He was at 75% - I mean that's borderline "hey he can shoot T's" level - when he first arrived in Houston. But he began to get progressively worse each year.

During the season he was traded for Clyde, 94-95, he was clocking in at just 52%.

Then the next year he was over 70 again in Detroit.

3. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I have been wondering the same thing

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is all mental and practice. Truth is, no NBA player should be a poor FT shooter if they practice hard enough unless there is something mental going on. Dwight supposedly shoots in the 80% territory when it is not game time. You basically have to practice until your body remembers the shooting motion without you thinking about it.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Its mental.

Like those weird stories of catchers who can't throw it back to the pitcher but they can throw out runners

6. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah, but when you keep shooting the same shot over and over and over again, you can make little adjustments each time until you finally get the touch and you can knock down a bunch in a row... even with bad form.

If you told me I was going to shoot 100 shots in a row with one hand facing sideways, I would miss at first, but I could make little adjustments and knock some down.

So 80% in practice is deceiving and doesn't really mean you are a good shooter.

Good shooters can just step up to the line with no "practice" shots and just hit a bunch in a row.

I guess some people (like Dwight) besides their form being bad just don't have the "feel" or "touch". It's probably like if I tried to shoot left handed... I would be bricking constantly and have no control. I guess with some people, it's like they are forever shooting left-handed. That's probably what it feels like to them.

But Josh Smith, he can clearly shoot a basketball. There is no reason why he should be such a bad free throw shooter.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. bmd

bmd Member

It's gotta be..

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sometimes I think big strong guys like Dwight should shoot free throws like normal people shoot pop-a-shot. Shortened stroke.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z72Q4FBfLuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2gaa-tKjpyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#9 rockbox, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I personally disagree. Again, it's all mental. Nick Anderson is a perfect example of this. Thinking about your shot as you shoot only hurts you in the vast majority of cases. It interrupts what should otherwise be an unconscious smooth movement based on muscle memory. When you are "adjusting" you aren't actually making minute adjustments, rather it is your mind and your body figuring out what works and what doesn't as it practices over and over. When you shoot with the same motion, rotation, angle, ect, you are expected to get the same results every time barring external interference, which does not exist when shooting FT's (that's why they are called free throws). It is simple physics. Unfortunately, humans are not robots and we do think, even when we don't want to or shouldn't and every shot will not be the same. In those situations, you simply hope to shoot as close to your personal ideal form as possible, which is what you were referring to later in your post. Remember, the FT line doesn't change, the height of the basket doesn't change, gravity doesn't change. If you shoot each FT with the exact same force, angle, ect and it goes on and you shoot the next FT the exact same way, that will also go in as well.

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You also have people with great depth perception. Those people are usually great shooters, because they can honestly grasp mentally how much angle and what force is needed to put the ball at a specific point.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe his hands got bigger?

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Not working hard enough. He would be better if he keep working like Yao Ming. You do not often see a big man from Europe or Asia can not make a free throw because he or she works it very day.

14. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Not only is he easily flustered (mentally not focused) his shot has no arc , its almost like a line drive, doesn't bend the knees and just shoots it line drive

1 person likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It looks like he goes out into a mental fog at the FT line. He over thinks and misses the simplest shot.

16. ts2mars

ts2mars Member

check out iguodala's career FT %... just as bizarre

17. SuraGotMadHops

Nick Wright brought up an interesting theory, said Josh and Dwight are typical AAU kids who never went to college and never got formal coaching. They're tremendously talented but never had to endure long practices under a college coaching staff that taught fundamentals and shooting.

In the NBA, practice time is limited and they're not spending time going over basics that the other players picked up in college. That's why they're good at game action aspects of the NBA, but are bad at skill specific aspects, like free throw shooting.

2 people like this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

josh smith jacking up 3's makes no sense

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

incredibly solid post! Makes a ton of sense.

20. CertifiedTroll

I dont think its bizarre. He shoots the ball all arms and no legs. He catapults it at the basket. If he had a softer touch he would improve. Same applies to TJones.