1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 6, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Aldridge is soft and isn't a big moment guy. The Rockets need big time players, stars who earn their coffee.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y_6Q1KKFlSE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Might be the enforcer we are looking for

3. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

I will take west or milsap over smith everyday.he is nothing but overrate pf who is only good in d

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If the hawks had Kobe Bryant instead of joe Johnson during most of Jsmoove's tenure with the hawks, his salary would be looked at very differently.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

No. He also plays some SF and he's quite good at it. Few SFs can handle him in the post, which why most teams elect to double team him.
    Smith has very good vision and is more than a willing passer, so quite often he'll find the open shooter or kick it out for a hockey-assist. He has SF speed and foot quickness, so he's fine defensively, too.

6. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I think Josh Smith is the best pick-up available. The other FA's fix problems we don't have, Josh Smith is the best 4 available. Is he perfect? No, but it is a team sport and he is the cog missing on this team.

7. CCM721

CCM721 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TENFmV4be4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VJQREzJixtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Reach

Reach Member

LMA is ineffecient and a mediocre rebounder for his position. No thanks.

Josh Smith is even more inefficient, but at least he does everything else rather well.

9. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Err what? Aldridge averaged more rebounds than Josh Smith this year and has not shot under 48% a single time in his career.

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I've warmed up to Josh Smith a lot more this season as well, mainly due to our offensive philosophy and how Josh Smith could fit there if he's willing to be selective with his shots. Smith would be great on D, and would be someone that has a chance to check Lebron. And he could slide down to the 3 for match-up purposes on defense as well.

In Millsap's defense, he was asked to play the 3 a fair bit this season due to the development of Favors and Kanter, so that could be a reason he was blown by a fair bit.

11. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Paul Milsap plays with a greater heart then Smith at half the price...

12. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

josh smith is not a max player

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chris Bosh might be on the move. The Love and Aldridge situation will be be more clear.

There is NO point is rushing to fill the PF gap this season. We have a super young team getting better. You don't pull a Nets and go for a non superstar on superstar money (Joe) because you can.

If no Howard or CP3 wait it out.

That's a misconception. Milsap turned down $8.5 million a year last summer. He wants $10 million + and he's not worth it.

[​IMG]

14. The Stig

The Stig Member

9 rebounds a game mediocre? He's 6th among all power forwards in the league.

LMA is a top 5 PF in the league and his ability to play Centre too is a huge plus.

Post game, midrange game, movement off the ball, this guy is certainly worth the money over a guy like Smith/Jefferson/Millsap etc.

15. The Stig

The Stig Member

I agree with this except I am warming to the idea of getting Pau Gasol here on a one year rental before we go all out in 2014.

I still maintain faith that one of our 4 power forwards will pan out next season, but it wouldn't hurt to have Pau here as an expiring.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

I guess you stooped watching Nba basketball 3 years ago before Lin got hot.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

My second post in this thread was about getting Gasol on a one year rental. No harm in it.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And he's probably not getting max money, at least from the rockets I'd hope. Everybody's saying forget smith because he wants max. He's just trying to pump up his value by saying that. He's probably gonna get 13-14 a year. Also how much exactly can we offer smith at most? What is the max-est contract he could get from us? Just curious

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If DHo and CP3 ain't coming, JSmith is the next best choice. We need toughness that is it right there with JSmoove. I don't think Beard is that tough, just look what R.Artest did do him and his response was 0. KLove and LMA is not going anywhere, even if they are they are not going to be cheap. They will want Parsons in return, actually every team would want Parsons in as part of a deal. Most underrated game of J.Smith is his passing skills, he can adopt to it easily.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

True but he ain't walking through that door, nor Bosh or Love. People keep arguing wait for a better option but then they suggest we can get these other players like LMA. But don't they get that these other player's teams have GM's who know their value and aren't stupid enough to let them walk. Yes there are salary strapped teams that dump players like Pau Gasol to save money but those teams aren't around now. Most of the teams that needed to dump salary have done so. That's how we got Harden. But Minny is fine, portland also, maybe Miami but they have never indicated as much even slightly. it's just speculation but people who write stories that don't even exist.

So even though those guys are worth more than Smith/Jefferson/Milsap they are not really options. And even Smith/Jefferson/Milsap might not even be available. I think Atlanta is going to look at the open market and see that Josh Smith is better than anything else they could add and then offer him the Max. Once that happens all bets are off. The chances of him walking away become a lot less. Jefferson. he could get a Max offer from Utah. Milsap not likely.