1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Bautista

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Air Langhi, Jul 10, 2011.

?

Do you know who he is

1. yes

58 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. no

16 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Do you know who he is?

Has any player in any league ever gone from being a scrub to best player in his league like this guy. I remember him on pirates and he was a scrub and now he is putting up barry bonds, Albert Pujols numbers. I guess he is kind of like Luis Gonzales.

#1 Air Langhi, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
  2. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Are you implying steroids?

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Dude has passed every test thrown his way so unless he's using some crazy voodoo...changing his swing was the biggest adjustment in recent memory.

Dude is putting up Bonds' type numbers.

1 person likes this.
  4. cardpire

cardpire Member

i'm in the camp that considers his rise from nothingness impressive even if i knew he was juiced to the max. that stuff can make a good player better, but can't magically make a garbage player great.

the man is downright chuckhayes-ian.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He has one pretty sweet swing.

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I don't think anyone thought he was going to put up the numbers he has. Even though he hit 50+ home runs last year, this year he's taken it to another level. All this without much protection either, which makes it all the more amazing.

7. Poloshirtbandit

only reason I know of him is that he somehow ended up on my fantasy baseball team

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

I know he leads the league in Homeruns but I don't know how he looks.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

reading the thread title my first thought was, "did he return to the WWE?" of course, that is Dave Bautista.

10. Trip

Trip Member

Being in Toronto, I'm super chuffed with what this guy has done in the past couple seasons, this one especially. I've been to 5 Jays games this year and the atmosphere when he steps to the plate is pure electricity. Great eye and a fantastic swing.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He's swing is what is causing it. It's faster, little shorter, and he's pulling the bat alot more.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z0AlTsey6MI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lwn6crz6fgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Have not watch baseball at all this year, that is a nice swing. Very fluid and decisive, have to start watching him now when I get the chance.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The third at-bat, the one shown in the embed screen, just crazy in the Major Leagues how they can take a pitch with that kind of inside action, pull the bat around, make contact and then still have designs to DO things with the pitch. In the MLB thats almost a routine pitch over the plate in his wheelhouse. A pitch like that to a REGULAR non-player guy would eat him up.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And do think he signed a 5 year 65 million dollar contract. That is less than carlos lee and jason worth. Usually giving monster contracts after 1 good year is dumb, but the blue jays saved probably 40-60mil.

Its hard to believe just a swing change could make someone into Albert Pujols. I don't ever remember him being an elite prospect. A guy like josh hamilton making it is a lot more believable than jose bautista

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

only one year from him, but yeah, he's the most comparable player i can think of too.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Didn't think much of him when Blue Jays aquired him. But I did think he had a sweet looking stroke from the beginning. Though I did remember commentators saying he has a good eye for the ball. Did not expect him to beserk like this.

He just looks more and more confident every time he steps onto the plate. I guess Toronto will always have that one elite player. Who would've thought Bautista would be the one to replace Halladay.

18. FR0497

FR0497 Member

The guy is a beast. Beautiful swing. Every time I hear his name I ask myself where on earth did this guy come from.

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

No idea. I was thinking of Detective Batista from Dexter. :eek:

20. VanityHalfBlack

Another reason to get MLB league pass...