1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobmarley, Jul 4, 2014.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Can we just say wow together!

This kid can play

It isn't even the All Star game yet and he is wrecking...

37 SBs 121 Hits 26 2Bs .347 AVG 3.4 WAR in 84 games and has the 3rd best Fielding pct% at 2nd with a .992

He has the 7th highest WAR of any position player in all of baseball this season, and he is playing 2nd base.

He also has the best ABs per SO with 14/1 in the MLB and he is now literally the most difficult man in baseball to strike out.

#1 bobmarley, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

And he's only 24.

Younger than Springer.

3. conquistador#11

nope. not seeing it! posters in basketball sub forum told me there was no place for him. was garbage. sucks, should be sent to the minors FOOOORREVVERR.

always liked his game. only thing i've been critical was he made some bone headed mistakes running the bases, even when he was coming up through the minors.

Nice to seeing him playing well now that he has overcome some injuries. oh yeah,that's the other thing that has always worried me, staying healthy.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Dude is in the top 80 all time when it comes to SB%. I'll take a few boneheaded times, because overwhelmingly he will succeed.

He is also younger than Giancarlo Stanton.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

The Astros are known for great 2 baggers.

We also have him signed cheap through 2019.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If this guy does not make the all-star team...it's a sham.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Cano playing the same position doesn't help, but he should make it.

How about the Astros (Springer) in the HR derby?!!?
    Berkman is the only I recall since 1990 unless Bagwell did nothing memorable.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Not to mention Ian Kinsler

9. Buck Turgidson

Dude is so much fun to watch. I can't imagine what other teams' fans think, he's in the pissant mold of Eckstein, Fernando Vina, Dykstra, etc....

10. The Beard

The Beard Member

Cano and Kinsler have been really good, but if there is no excuse for Altuve not making it. He has been one of the top 3-4 players in the AL this year, regardless of position.

I'm not usually a proponent of guys needing days off. But, with his history of injuries and him not being a big guy, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a day every couple of weeks. Also, with Kike here and off to a good start, and with the fact we don't have a good DH, wouldn't mind seeing him DH once a week or so either. Just to take a little wear and tear off of him. The kid is a stud

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Altuve should make it because every team has to have a representative. I thought Keuchel had a chance until his last 3 or 4 starts.

12. juicystream

juicystream Member

Bags competed in 94, 96, 97, & 99.

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

Altuve will make it because he's earned it. You don't lead your league in average and not make the all-star game.

Springer is a good candidate for the final spot vote.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Currently on pace for 20 HR, 101 Runs, 128 RBI, and 61 SB while sporting a .371/.412/.524 slash.

That home run and RBI total aren't gonna happen, but at this point I think its safe to classify Altuve as legit. He just hits, a lot.

15. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

If he were to compile those type of raw numbers (20 hrs, 100 runs, 100 rbi, 50 sb) while batting over .340 that would be just amazing. MVP. I just want to see the 100 rbi seems crazy but possible at the rate he's going.

16. The Beard

The Beard Member

Unlikely but possible, especially if Marisnick stays low in the lineup and continues to play at a very high level

17. Nick

Nick Member

I fear Springer would actually swing and miss at the live BP pitches right down the middle.

1 person likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

Also on pace for around 49 doubles. Even if those numbers fluctuate a tad, which I'm sure they will, Altuve could very well be a viable MVP candidate this year.

I thought his numbers last year were warranted, but the award simply isn't gonig to anyone on a 70 win team

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He would have an extra double if he would have touched 2nd base Friday night on his walk off hit instead of stopping short. :)

20. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Screw the 2014 All-Star talk. Altuve is playing like the MVP of the league. There has not been a lot of 2nd basemen MVP's that I can recall but Altuve is the best player on a team that is #1 in the AL and he has already had game winning hits this season. To use the words good or great to describe Altuve is an understatement.

Nellie Fox (later in his career)
    Joe Morgan (yeah I know he spent his best years in Cincy but still spent a lot of years in HOU)
    Craig Biggio
    Jose Altuve

That is a special group of players.