1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan Lyles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, Sep 19, 2013.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Wtf? Remember when this kid was going to be our guy? I remember when he was a rookie throwing 88-90mph and now he's able to get it up to 95, but what gives? When he was drafted he was noted for having an advanced changeup for his age and above average command. Why hasn't he had the consistent success we thought he'd have given that he's physically developed as we thought he would?

2. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

His secondary stuff just hasn't been very good. However, he's shown flashes of a crisp breaking ball that keeps me somewhat optimistic. Just keep in mind that he's half a year younger than Cosart. He obviously was rushed to the majors before he was ready, but he still has potential to be a middle of the rotation starter. So they might as we'll run him out there until he improves or the Appels, Rodons and McCullers of the world force him off the staff

#2 DoitDickau, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. Buck Turgidson

Once they're good enough to merit a decent bullpen, I'd put him there. 8-9 guy. Let him concentrate on 2 pitches, keep a 3rd to mix in.

4. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I agree. Out of the bullpen, he should be able to consistently run it up to 95-96. He has an easy, repeatable delivery which should give him good control. His biggest problem as a starter has been a bunch of average pitches but no "go to" pitch. As a reliever, his fastball should go up a tick and allow him to work off his curve/change.

5. Progs

Progs Member

Trade him for a draft pick. A new scenery will do him wonders.

6. Progs

Progs Member

Freaking Carlos Rodon is gonna be an Astros can't wait.

7. vince

vince Member

Carlos Rodon and Mark Appel will make an excellent 1- 2 punch. Two potential ace prspects. Going to be exciting times in 2016 going forward.

Until the you hope that Cosart, Oberhotzer, Peacock, Woji, etc. can allow the Astros to at least be competitive from a pitching perspective.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's why you can't just look at our talent in the minors and say "Oh, we'll be good (or at least decent) in a few years" and present some future lineup. Things don't always work like that. There have been many players we've been high on initially who flatline and regress into mediocrity fairly quickly.

9. Progs

Progs Member

This is why you mixed in some free agents in between. This is how Daryl Morey has been excellent since getting Dwight Howard and James Harden...

10. vince

vince Member

It seems the Astros threw in the towel because crane could not afford both the team and the payroll. So Drayton aware of this sliced the payroll. Heck even the move to the American league was probably done to help Crane pay Drayton all that money.

The Astros rebuild was one done with a wrecking ball.

The Rockets on the other hand have been competitive because the owner hired a GM who plays the talent evaluation to a crisp science. And does it as good as anyone in the business. I think all the assets who were upset about such remarks are playing elsewhere.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also the Rockets play in the NBA, where being the worst isn't that rewarding due to a draft lottery, and an already in place salary cap.

They also play in a league where just one free agent or draft pick can turn around the entire fortunes of the team... as opposed to baseball where you need a core group of pitchers and hitters to have sustained success.

Much different sports... and you'll see more baseball teams emulating the Astros strategy as opposed to basketball teams emulating the Rockets strategy.

12. vince

vince Member

Pretty much I agreed with your points. It is easier in basketball to build a winner than in baseball. Morey has said it time after time, that you need a sueprstar in the NBA to contend. He found 2 (Harden and Howard).

The Astros already had a few budding stars in Hunter Pence and Bourn, and they were going nowhere as a team! So they traded both of them, The Pence trade was a scout's dream of a trade (Singleton, Cosart, Zeid, and Santana).

With Pence on board, the Astros would be at least respectable. But going nowhere with the rest of the bottom dwellers.

The Astros made sure to be abysmally bad, and now they've shored up the pipelines. They play hard, but lack the MLB talent requried to win even 60 games.

And they are the envy of every team. With next years draft, the Astros have head and shoulders the best Minor league system.

Lunhow said earlier this season that he would not trade the minor league for anyone's except maybe the Cardinals. Now, with Rodon coming on board, it's got to be the undisputed best system.

13. vince

vince Member

Lyles might just need a whole new setting. A trade seems immenent.

Lyles as a lot of talent, but his regression points to a culture of losing. He seems beat down by it.

I think he has trade value. Lower A prospect quality, but i am thinking he needs to be moved.

Kind of like Bud Norris, who was just about fed up with the losing culture.

14. msn

msn Member

Every time I see this thread, I read, "Tim Redding?"

15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

...but with less stuff.