1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan Hill's Game time Focus

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ross84, Jan 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

One thing I was really impressed with Jordan Hill last season was his activity and quickness for his size. Somehow, a lot of that is missing this season. It might be that Adelman training him to play the high post and moving him to the center position has him playing out of comfort zone and ability, to the point where he's either over-thinking everything or not thinking at all. It's been a huge disappointment with him so far.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is being used wayyyy to far away from the basket.

He is at his best when he is getting deep catches or catching on the move towards the rim.

He is completely perplexed for whatever reason, and it is really hurting his value.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

O.K., I will lay it out plainly; I think Hill is smoking dope. He looks stoned most the time to me.

4. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

wow hill and brian grant have the same attitude to go along with the same hair.

5. Burko

Burko Member

I think he's just one of those guys who needs to be fired up to play well, but struggles to fire himself up, he usually needs to be clumped round the head to get angry and play mean.

Thats said, he needs to put on some weight and quicken his game, that first video you can almost see him running through the play in his head before actually doing anything....

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's terrible, not gonna sugar coat it.

The plus minus is not a perfect stat, it's flawed, so i don't rely on it too much, but hill's plus-minus is shocking when you look at it

Rockets with a negative plus minus

Budinger -6
    Lee -22
    Smith -38
    Brooks -47
    Jordan Hill -159 (NOT A MISPRINT)

Adjusted plus-minus (a more reliable measure)

Scola -0.19
    Hayes -0.83
    Miller - 2.89
    Brooks -4.99
    Martin -5.93
    Hill -16.87 (again not a misprint)

By comparison Chuck Hayes adjusted +/- over the last 2 years is a + 5.00

The rockets need to get something for him while they can, he shouldn't be in an nba rotation.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

lololol you said you don't rely on it too much..and yet you go to great lengths to describe all these things you apparently "dont really rely on"

8. windz

windz Member

what he meant was you can't rely on it when its just a plus or minus 1 differential...

but when the difference is that large... obviously you can draw some conclusions.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

No court vision, no face up game, gets pushed around on the block, doesn't seem to have an offensive game but has good form and release on his jumpshots. People say he's athletic but I don't see how that benefits the guy right now, he needs to be a basketball player. Sometimes I like to think having David Andersen back would be a better fit for this team.

10. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

He's trying to do too much instead of sticking to the things he's good at. He needs to be a garbage type of player until he has more post moves. He needs to be fighting for position down low where he can catch, turn and shoot his hook shot. No more fadeaways. He needs to be in position where he can fight for every rebound and he needs to either block or foul the hell out of a player taking it to the rim.

I would say his #1 strength is running the floor for a big and I haven't seen this much from him lately.

Maybe he will get better when he can get some minutes at PF (his natural position) with Miller back at C. With Patterson's play improving, the minutes available at the 4 are limited.

11. returningfan

returningfan Member

I have mentioned the possibility of ADD. Last night against Dallas in ten minutes he did get 2 rebounds and 3 blocked shots. No baskets but also no turnovers. I still have hopes for him.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's certainly possibly. I believe a sports psychologist would be beneficial for him.

14. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

I was a little alarmed when I read that. Hopefully it's not something extremely serious.

15. mikol13

Supporting Member

With things happening like the Eddie Griffin situation, I don't like to let things like this go. I hope someone is listening. We may have our first clue into what's going on with JHill. I'd rather be wrong than him ignored.

16. choujie

choujie Member

A poor man's Stromile Swift at this stage.

17. mikol13

Supporting Member

I sent him a tweet, anything positive from others I think could only help. Like I said, hope I'm wrong, but how about some of you send something as well?

18. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I found a cure for JHill....

[​IMG]

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I agree with everyone that has said he smokes dope. Man has highlight worthy plays one game, then looks lost other games.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

(based on the tweet)

I think he believes he'll be traded. It's happened before, he sees in the last game that Patterson is finally getting some of his minutes, he knows he's struggling... yeah, I think he's worried. The guy should be. Having said that, I still think he could be a better player than he's shown us thus far. Big men sometimes take time. Not everyone is an Hakeem Olajuwon or a Ralph Sampson, and a stud from day one.