1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonny Flynn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Jun 24, 2011.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I just have a feeling that he will be the best of the bunch. Remember the picture with every player showing a jersey but him.

2. Htown's2kFinest

It's not his fault that he was drafted on a bad team. Most high lottery picks are...

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I wish the #5 was available, so he could then be Johnny 5.

4. amaru

amaru Member

Did you see just how god awful Miller was lol.

To see him gone, means it a win. His Microfracture surgery is only gonna make him EVEN slower :rolleyes:

5. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

At the very least, we know other teams still have a modicum of interest in him.

6. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Miller is to Rockets as Flynn was to the Twolves, both useless..

7. amaru

amaru Member

Flynn> Miller

At least he isn't ancient. Can't get much for an over-the-hill player who just had knee surgery. At least we aren't stuck watching him plod up and down the court for a full season again :rolleyes:

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets should keep Flynn as an insurance policy in case someone gets hurt, or when Dragic goes in a slump and starts playing like crap again like he used to do in Phoenix.

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I think Flynn's a good backup with starter potential. The bigger point is, we have a lot of assets, i.e., a lot of depth. We could trade Flynn or Dragic, or even KLow. This also makes Lee more expendable. If Thabeet and Hill are worth Biedrins, what kind of a center would Thabeet / Hill / Flynn / a pick be worth? And after that, what kind of SF would Scola / Lee / Budinger fetch?

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Wow. I really like how our new guys interview.

Morris is sort of quiet, but D Mo and Flynn seem like they will be fun guys in the clubhouse.

I think we have the point guard position nailed down.

#70 glynch, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  11. herro

herro Member

Distant 3rd on the depth chart

12. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

JJ barea!?

man thats an insult to Flynns game, dude has really good PG to mayb potential all star potential.. Flynn was a top 5 pick for a reason while Barea waswnt even drafted I dont believe.. talent evaluation probably isnt your strongsuit

13. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I don't think so. He will end up being at or above Dragic.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

In that second video, it shows him pretty much iso on every play, and being a bit of a ballhog.

I dunno if I like that...

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

So John Wall isn't good?

Wizards 09-10 without Wall
    26-56

With Wall:
    23-59

16. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Jonny Flynn is not a bad player. In this league with the no-hand-checking rules, he's pretty much unguardable on offense and quick enough on defense to stay in front of just about anyone.

He's definitely a play-maker with better court vision and strength on defense than Aaron Brooks but with a worse jump shot. I think he's a prototypical back-up pg whose energy can ignite a face-paced second team. Considering Dragic only has one more year on his deal, Flynn is a great guy to have on this team and probably the best 3rd string pg in the league.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm actually certain that, if Flynn is not dealt, he will make Dragic expendable.

In fact, I think much like Kyle Lowry, he will improve slowly but surely until he gives the starter a run for his money.

At 5'11 or 6'0, Flynn needs to refine his 3-pt shot till he's a threat, and that's where the rest of his game will become more effective. Every scouting report says the guy is athletic with excellent lateral quickness and relatively strong for his size. He can handle the ball well and is very good driving to the basket.

The guy needs to do 2 things and has plenty of time to do it: (1) work on defensive positioning and (2) work on 3pt shot. Thankfully, players usually improve in these areas if they put in the work, and he seems like a hard worker with a chip on his shoulder.

He will stop dribbling as much, it's not really an option. Given the position he's in (turning point of his career) I doubt he will hog the ball with new teammates on a much better team. He knows his career can easily go down the drain now.

I'm very happy about getting Flynn. Even if I'm wrong with my expectations, that would mean Dragic is playing very good basketball, which would also be good news.

18. psingh34

psingh34 Member

to be fair, williams or thabeet have not gotten a chance to play for the rockets with adelman not playing rookies/young players. we may have lost more games playing them but we could have found out what they were about. Twill esp deserves a chance bc he has dominated the only stage he has gotten a fair chance with the rockets; the dleague

19. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Flynn is awesome!

i liked his since his rookies days, i love the way he plays, and he has swag lol he is pretty good passer, plus he could drive in and make some tough layups go in. im excited! if he stays, he could be the rockets back-up point guard over Dragic by the end of next season.

hhaha im excited to see all the rockets draftees and new players :D! playoffs next season!!!!!!!(HOPEFULLY)

20. Htown's2kFinest

I really hope we keep this guy. He might not ever reach it, but he has the highest ceiling of any PG on this team right now. Like Irving in this years draft, Flynn was compared to Chris Paul back when he was drafted. If he was in this year's draft he probably would've gone over Kyrie Irving. He had a solid rookie year and I think he has a lot he can still show.